Fujitsu ST4121

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by jrgonline, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrgonline

jrgonline Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is my complete review:

Shortly after unpacking the Fujitsu ST4121, I was immediately able to use it. The interactive tutorials helped me through the relatively short learning curve from desktop and laptop PCs to the Tablet PC. The learning curve is not difficult and if it is for some users, then there are in-depth tutorials available. The Fujitsu ST4121 is easy to hold in my arms or hands. It is comfortable, lightweight, and sleek compared to other models I considered.

Fujitsu seems to be the leader in comfort and convenience in the Tablet PC. I already want the 5000 series! The accessories on the ST4121 are conveniently located and useful without being intrusive. One concern, however, I have is the stylus. Specifically, the location of the stylus buttons that imitate some mouse functions. I am constantly reminding myself to not press the buttons by accident while writing with the stylus. I’m unsure at this point whether or not other stylus’ work with the ST4121.

I am also concerned with the crispness of the display. The display is good, I would not say excellent. But the Fujitsu does outperform the Toshiba M205; when I changed the M205 to 1024x768, the clarity and crispness seemed to vanish. I am hoping that the ST5000 series Fujitsu has just put out have better vividness than the ST4121 does. Testing that theory, however, is expensive! I want to see the ST5000 Tablet PC Fujitsu has on the market, but none are on display in CompUSA, BestBuy, or Circuit City. All of these stores carry the Toshiba M205 models only in Little Rock, Arkansas… of course, my geographic location could be the culprit to the availability of Tablet PCs! ;-)

As a technical writer, I plan on using my ST4121 for multiple tasks… from web development projects to writing my Ph.D. dissertation, so we’ll see how my Fujitsu runs multiple applications in some of my intense development tests.

Of course the ST4121 has standard wireless built-in; which is quite awesome… the speed I get from the ST4121’s wireless connection seems quite close to my actual Ethernet wired connection. Interestingly, I’m writing this review using the ST4121! I opted for the indoor/outdoor display because I love writing and reading while I am outdoors. The Fujitsu is perfect for me.

Once I get a little more experience using the handwriting recognition from Microsoft, everything should be fine. Or, perhaps I should say when Microsoft develops a more intuitive handwriting recognition technology. My advice for successfully using the WriteAnywhere option is to visually disregard the animated lines that pop up constantly while you move your stylus…well, on second thought-while writing… or maybe I should just focus on the lines to keep my text inline. I am not completely sure which of “us” should comprise more. Microsoft definitely needs to pour more development dollars into the handwriting technology… this is the first time I’ve used it, and I’m already addicted! I hypothesize that I am getting an 80% accurate conversion rate; and I have horrible “scribble” for handwriting. All Tablet PCs will have problems accurately converting handwriting into text until Microsoft refines this incredible technology further… you’re getting close Microsoft! But digress from Fujitsu’s ST4121, which is what this review is about, not Microsoft.

Fujitsu’s standard docking station for the ST4121 is a must I think. The station is convenient and very worthwhile, as is the optical wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. I can instantly pull the ST4121 out of its docking station to finish working on my project while I am lying on the sofa and watching television.

With the exception of the crispness of the display quality on the ST4121, I highly recommend this unit for writers, students (especially at the college or post-graduate level), and my wonderful sister, Debbie, who cannot type well at all! ;-)

Pros: nice design and comfortable; lightweight is an A at 3.2 lbs; optional high-capacity battery that other companies do not offer; standard battery charges fast.

Cons: expensive screen protectors (which you’ll need plenty of); expensive high-capacity battery; buttons on the stylus are in an awkward location; standard battery does not last long; the display lacks vivid colors and crispness.

-- JRG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, overallt his sounds pretty good for you. One other positive that you don't know about yet is that support tends to be very good and responsive. I also like your comparison with the Toshiba. The m200/5 is widely regarded as the market leader, for convertibles anyway. Any other resons why you come out on the other side?

On the 5000 front, I've used that one and think it's the best slate on the market. It's just built well all the way around. If you want to try out the 5000 with lower risk, try www.laptopsinc.com. They offer 30 day returns with no penalty.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com

3. jrgonline

Thanks for the info, Brian!

The Toshiba M205 that I saw and "tested" seemed like a good machine. The display is tiny though with the m205's "enhanced" display.... i'm only 30, and i had trouble reading the desktop. There's no way my mother or my boss could see that tiny text... but when I increased the display, the m205 seemed to "lose" its clarity and crispness. That's when I changed it to 1024x768 and the vividness seemingly "left"... but it did have better vividness and crispness with photos and graphics... probably better than my Fujitsu ST4121.

I tend to like slates, not convertibles, which is why Fujitsu seemed even more perfect for me. They're lighter, and I don't want the extra pound or so from convertibles' keyboard; and Gateway's model is like 5.x pounds, but comes with a CDROM drive... but who wants to carry all that around when you don't need it? I'm on the go a lot... if only Microsoft's handwriting recog. was better, my life would be perfect![:)]

I've used the ST4121 for a few weeks now, and I still absolutely love it. [:D]

--Jim

4. jrgonline

Hey, where did you say I could get a "better" stylus that would still work with the Fujitsu ST4121?

Jim

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cross recently released a pen that might be appealing. We actually have a review of one pending. Barry could probably tell you about it in more detail.

On the screen issue. Any LCD that's not run in its native resolution will lose a ton of quality. That's why the scren lost clarity and probably looked fuzzy to you.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com

6. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

wow, nice review there jrg. I agree that Fuji has the lead in the Tablet PC market, they were the first in the game 3 years ago, I actually had a chance to use one of the prototype devices for a pilot they were doing with J&J (pharmaceuticals that is) as that company evaluated whether to use tablets for its R&D labs. Since then I've watched Fuji evolve the Tablet line and they've always been a bit better mainly due to the fact they've been in the Tablet PC game the longest and know what they're doing with design.

7. jrgonline

I've been using this tablet in Baltimore this week at a tech writing Conference this week, and it's performed fabulously!

<blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by abaxter

wow, nice review there jrg. I agree that Fuji has the lead in the Tablet PC market, they were the first in the game 3 years ago, I actually had a chance to use one of the prototype devices for a pilot they were doing with J&J (pharmaceuticals that is) as that company evaluated whether to use tablets for its R&D labs. Since then I've watched Fuji evolve the Tablet line and they've always been a bit better mainly due to the fact they've been in the Tablet PC game the longest and know what they're doing with design.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></font id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'>

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.