Fujitsu-Siemens STYLISTIC ST6012 (Centrino 2)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Kraklok, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slater

Slater Pen Pal - Newbie

I use it for work. The battery life is good, even with the wireless on. About 4.5 hours in balanced mode on the 6 cell battery. (I use the leather folio to carry it and only the 6 cell fits). I just plug it back in whenever I'm back at my desk and drop it into sleep mode when not using it.

Don't bother ordering the camera, I haven't turned it on because its on the back side, inside the folio all the time.

Don't bother with the intel turbo memory either. If you do get it and are getting BSOD then jump into your BIOS and disable it. Out of the box my tablet wouldn't work and the turbo memory was the cause. Once I figured that out everything ran fine.

Aside form the it works well. I've had no speed problems. The pen is tracked. I hope the don't do full touch as that would really screw up writting on the screen. Maybe if you wanted to do hand painting or something....

And of course don't order the 'upgrades' as they are all cheaper from resellers (hard drive, memory). I don't remember if anyone answered someone's previous question, but yes SDHC does work. I was using a class 6 Patriot 16Gb but it seemed to 'pause' the machine so I took it out. I'll give it another go with a SanDisk Extreme III and see if it's the cards speed that is causing the pause.

I work on projects and being able to search your notes has become a valuable resource.

Hope my two bits help.

2. Wudang

Wudang Pen Pal - Newbie

Last posted a month or so ago - why no news since then I hear you ask.

Well, 5 x BSOD, into Fujitsu's repair centre twice - both times returned as went in other than the addition of a scratched screen on first visit (now replaced) and Vista Home Premium OS rather than Business on second!! Approaching almost a dozen reformats and just been told that as Fujitsu cannot "find" a hardware fault (they're not saying there isn't one just they can't find one???) there is appently nothing they can do and have now washed their hands of me. Their view is it must be the software I'm running even though I've been running the same software on a 2 year old Acer Tablet PC without once crashing its Vista Business OS.

In short since ordering the machine end of October, receiving it end January and actually properly looking to use it for the first time last Friday ( 6 weeks from receipt) while visting my web designer it promptly BSOD within 15 minutes and I finally decided my impersonation of St Job should come to a halt.

I'm going to be sending it back to Fujitsu's reseller for a full refund or a replacement (I know, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment but in spite of Fujitsu's BS I'm convinced I've simply got a rogue piece of hardware).

As I'm at this stage I decided to re-visit to post my tale of woe and misery but the above mention of the Turbo Memory causing problems caught my eye - of course I spec'd 4GB of TM given this was going to be my pride and joy. How wrong can you be.

Any further info in this respect - the tantalising mention of the TM leading to the BSOD might not only get to the root of my problem but finally nail Fujitsu's inability to own up to a problem with their machine and not my software.

Looking forward with anticipation.

Patrick

3. delsolman

delsolman Pen Pal - Newbie

I get BSOD once in a while with my ibm x61t and just turned it off. helped a lot.

4. mtech

mtech Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my ST6012. I have a problem which I hope someone can help comment:

1. The LCD backlight is uneven. There are 2 bright spots near the fingerprint reader. It is noticeable when I turn up the brightness level and use a black desktop background. Shouldn't it be even throughout? Should I resend for repair?

Need clarification on 2 points:

1. The 6-cell battery I have indicates the rating to be 4.84 Ah on the outside. In the inside, it say 5200 mAh. Why the discrepency?

2. Most details specs in the web says it comes with built-in stereo speakers. I realise it only has a single mono speaker.

5. Kraklok

Kraklok Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to put a screen protection on that damn ST6012 but it doesn't seems to fit...
    I bought Fujitsu reference (S26391-F2592-L760 from http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds_stylistic_accs.pdf ) but :
    - the protector is too big for the screen and stick on the border of the screen. The pencil can't hit the screen on the border because of the 1mm difference between the plastic and the screen
    - the protector has no glue on the border and thus can't stick to the tablet.

Does anyone know how to put the protector ?

Thank you in advance !

6. Tim Trabue

Tim Trabue Pen Pal - Newbie

You must have the older screen protector. Mine Fits Perfectly. I upgraded to the 3M Vikuiti and it is great much better than the stock screen protector(also fits perfectly). Vikuiti is tougher so it doesn't show marks when I write.

ST6012 has a narrower and longer screen than the 5112. It bothered me initially but I like it better now.

Cheers,
    Tim

7. Kraklok

Kraklok Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the answer. Mine is also 3M Vikuiti. Could you explain to me how you managed to install it, please ?

Thank you in advance. :)

8. Tim Trabue

Hello,

Sorry for the slow reply. I flew to China on Tuesday/ Wednesday.

Nothing Really to say. Mine fit right on the screen with about 1/16" or less gap on all sides. You must have a defective lot?

When you bought the slate did you buy the vista downgrade option? I am looking for the downgrade literature in my suitcase but cant find it. I would be eternally grateful if someone could scan the loose sheets that outline the vista load procedure and email it too me! I am upgrading to a larger hard drive and thought I would try it out.... Of course I cant find it on the website doh!

I love this slate! What a huge improvement over previous versions!

Tim

9. Tim Trabue

Eureka! I found the missing documents hiding in a pair of folded Trousers!:D

I also looked up the SKU for my screen protectors. From the front of the package: Fujitsu P/N FPC95-1423-01 UPC 611343084598 3M number 98-0440-4905-8 listed by 3M as 163mm x 261mm Hope this helps!

Tim

10. Kraklok

Kraklok Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Tim !

Mine is a bit different (but recommended by Fujitsu as per http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds_stylistic_accs.pdf )

P/N : S26391-F2592-L760
    3M # : 98-0440-4883-7
    Description : ARMR-200 184mm x 280mm (12.1")

Thank you for the input :)