Fujitsu-Siemens STYLISTIC ST6012 (Centrino 2)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Kraklok, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiPe

MiPe Pen Pal - Newbie

Frank, ST6012 is cool; I had one in my hands for an hour. If I get current model with Vista OS, what obsticles do you think I can expect when I shall migrate to Win 7?
    Thanks

2. Wudang

Wudang Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, spent weekend getting re-customised and along the way discovering some new great add ons in particular Tablet-Tip Tamer.

As of this morning all that was left was to re-import my ActiveWords settings and my OneNote trained handwriting store.

Alas, not one but two further BSOD - the last disabling Windows start up :(

As I write I'm running the newly downloaded Fujitsu DOS Diagnostic utility - reckon it will take about 3 hours at current rate.

I'm hoping it reports a hard drive problem so it can go back in for a replacement as this repetition of the dreaded BSOD is making me very nervous going forward.

While onto technical they've confirmed the BT module was not included but apparently I can get hold of the module via their parts department and fit it myself :)

Having endured Vista from its initial launch this early disappointment is familar but I saw the benefits of Vista, stuck with it and SP1 put most that was wrong to right. I've no less faith in the ST6012 and once these teething problems are put right I'm looking forward to years of faithful service - especially now I've dabbled with Windows 7 Beta on my old XP desktop machine :D

3. Capt'n Corrupt

Capt'n Corrupt Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm so sorry (and a bit worried) that you're experiencing such problems with your ST6012! With no offence intended, hopefully these problems are limited to only a very select few units.

As the owner of an Aspire one that has flaky WiFi, I fully appreciate the ill-feelings one can have when a new product does not function as intended! Luckily, 1) the aspire one was inexpensive (though expensive to me) and 2) I can fix the WiFi with a simple opening of the case and a hardware replacement (which I've recently ordered). I wouldn't dream of opening the $2K+ ST6012 to fix an error, nor do I feel I should have to!

Hopefully Fujitsu has a good return/replacement policy.

Let us all know how it turns out!

YARR!
    }:^)~

Copton

4. MiPe

MiPe Pen Pal - Newbie

I came across an article about The Man himself; Billy Gates! Guess what, but he is using XP Pro on his tablet too. Does he knows something MS didn't tell us when they let us mortgage the house to purchase Vista? :D

5. Capt'n Corrupt

Any new things to report on the ST6012?

Does anyone know of any good online reviews for this unit? I'm itching to hear more! Please post!

YARR!

Ker-azy Ker-apt'n

6. delsolman

delsolman Pen Pal - Newbie

still waiting for a reply too

7. MiPe

MiPe Pen Pal - Newbie

I am suppose to have mine delivered this week; I am sure questions will be coming up. Must admit, next day after I have placed order I had itch to call them up and ask for switch to 5010. At the end sanity prevailed afer I have remained myself, that I do not need another (5th) laptop. What I need (I think) is handwriting pad with text/topic searching capabilities, and organized life. So, for now I am chewing on my fingernails... :)

8. Capt'n Corrupt

Grrrreat! Thanks MPie!

I hope you get a chance to write us poor saps who don't have an opportunity to play with this machine! I'm really, really looking forward to it, as are an internet full of people. I know a proper review will get posted on famous gadget sites, as there are (as far as I can tell) no reviews on this unit online!

I think the T5010 is a wonderful machine, but the ST6012 has some very attractive features of its own. The best part is that it is such a strong balance of features.

- light weight (3.5 lbs)
    - great battery life
    - fantastic processor (SU9400: Core 2 Duo, Centrino 2 w/ vpro @1.4 GHz)
    - great size (12.1" screen, wxga res 1280x800)
    - very thin (about an inch thick, not including the slight battery slope)

I watched a review on the previous ST5112 and it was very well recieved. I fully expect that the ST6012 will be just as polished with the benefit of a faster processor and better screen.

On paper, this product stands alone. Let us know how it stacks up in real life!

YARR!

Awww Capt'n!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. MiPe

MiPe Pen Pal - Newbie

Machine is here, but right from the box I had been challenged. I must stress that I am not blaming Fujitsu for my troubles, as much as the (former) hamburger flippers that are now employed as computer experts, working on my machine to my specifications, and end up doing a lot of harm to the OEM' name.

I got Win XP, instead Vista that I paid for, so I can install it myself. Computer couldn't start properly, and was running in the loop. Enclosed diagnostics didn't solve it. After I have re-sized boot sector, and two hours later, it did work. (I am as far to computers a one can get, and whatever I do is by trial and error. This approach has served me since my first XT).

Shadow below pen is driving me nuts. How do I get rid of the stupid arrow? For past two days I have been playing with the Tablet, downloding a lot of new software, but now I do not like screen brightness. It's too bright and it would destroy my eyesight. Problem is when I decrease it, it's then screen gets too dark, as there is no middle ground. I think it's my fault. From ParetoLogic I have purchased new drivers seeking software, and most likely the driver that I have now is not the correct one.

Then another one - my pen is working in landscape mode, but in portrait it doesn't. It's pointing to a spot, but arrow is 1/3 of screen length at some other place. Only at the centre of the screen they meet. Does anyone knows how to fix it?

What are you people using as a writing pad? The Window Journal is not very sophisticated; just basic scrach pad. (I am missing on new sheets time, when note is written). OneNote has this feature, but isn't there something more sophisticated which makes contemporaneous notes what they meant to be, precisely recorded snapshot of events? Then there is no pick-list of key words for historical traceability... ehh, nevermind.

I am thinking to add Vista. Maybe my pen tip shadow will take a hike.

10. Capt'n Corrupt

So, I'm guessing your impressions are luke-warm at best.

It seems that your issues with the device are mainly software based (aside from potentially the screen brightness). This is a good thing as software is (relatively) easy to fix. However, I'm sorry that your software experience is less than stellar. To be honest, this is the type of thing that should be working out of the box. If a computer ships with an OS, it should be fully functional with that computer! This shows a lack of quality on Fujitsu's end, and is disappointing.

As for the hardware:

How is the computers speed and responsiveness?
    How do you find the battery life?
    Is the computer comfortable to hold?
    How loud is the fan?

I do believe that you got a wonderful piece of hardware. It's really quite a shame that the software is simply not up to snuff. I hope you have far better luck with Windows Vista!

Keep us posted!

YARR!

What say you Capt'n?