Fujitsu-Siemens STYLISTIC ST6012 (Centrino 2)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Kraklok, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I recently found some informations about Fujitsu's latest Stylistic Tablet PC, based on the Centrino 2 platform:

Fujitsu-Siemens STYLISTIC ST6012 (translated from german)

Haven't heard from it before.

2. delsolman

delsolman Pen Pal - Newbie

Centrino 2 and wide screen is a big one. but i the picture looks like previous version i wonder how they fit a new proportion screen in same casing. Isn't a change from 5xxxx to 6xxx means a major revision?

still want "touch" damn it!

3. Frank

Yes, it looks like the pictures show the old 5xxxx tablet PC instead of the new one. Well, this is the only site which shows something about the STYLISTIC ST6012 so it is possible that the images are still wrong and some specifications, too.

But the current specifications look great so far. If I had needed a new tablet PC I would have bought this one.

After using my tablet now for almost one year I notice that the slate form factor is the better form factor. Smaller, more handy, lighter, thinner. I mostly (95% of the time) use my tablet PC in slate mode. I only need the integrated keyboard to play some games. For everything else I use the pen, an external mouse and the FrogPad. To start with tablet PCs convertibles are great, but after some time, the convertible feature gets redundant.

So my next tablet PC (in 2 years or so) will be a slate. And I hope that they keep and improve the slates, too, and the ST6012 is, in my opinion, a great improvement.

4. Adamantite

Adamantite Pen Pal - Newbie

5. delsolman

wow this is so different, looks so industrial. can't wait for more details on this unit.

6. Frank

yes, this seems to be the right picture (widescreen display, new pen design) and look at all those well arranged tablet buttons.

Now we only have to hope that the display is sealed.

Yes, it looks very industrial, which is, in my opinion, great, compared to the glossy trend.

7. Frank

8. delsolman

the thing look nice, but was hoping it to have both touch and active digitizer.

no LED too? still a very enticing package. don't know if i should wait for a second interation of ST6xxx series.

9. rocke86

rocke86 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Wudang

Wudang Pen Pal - Newbie

Was going to buy ST5112 in January (UK) but was informed that it would be refreshed in March - embedded 3G (definite plus) and slightly faster processor (OK'ish) i.e. timely freshen up - sp held off purchase. I've been holding off every since but I managed to find out a couple of weeks ago that it would be replaced by ST6012 (F-S had scant details to hand and were talking about November release). As already mentioned it's now been posted on F-S European website -but still not on UK. I've been informed that it could be an October release, awaiting confirmation and same on price. Hopefully I'll know Monday or Tuesday and post here.

Agree with Frank it's pretty much the perfect slate although like Delsolman I was hoping that they would have opted for the Wacom touch upgrade to kill off any need for a separate keyboard - I guess I can always hook up my BT Stowaway keyboard if necessary.
    Most importantly the 6012 seems to have kept the great battery life the ST5112 was famed for. The Core 2 processor, embedded 3G and renowned build quality means I'm going to grab this as soon as it's released.

Once I've installed Outlook, OneNote, FolderShare and ActiveWords I'll finally have a realistic desktop replacement without any need for the desk or that quaint device called a mouse. Thanks are due to F-S for persevering with the slate form which unfortunately seems to be deeply out of favour. Maybe it will enjoy a renaissance when the e-reader meets it halfway - a Windows powered i-Rex?

I'm sure it won't be cheap but this is one PC investment I know I'll be able to see a real return on.

11. zanchin

zanchin Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wrote an email to the shop asking if they really sell the new version... maybe that's exactly what i want to buy...

12. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

13. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It certainly looks different than the previous generations of the Stylistic series.

Also: congrats, this post made it on the front page of Engadget. :)

14. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

wonder what the battery life is

15. Wudang

Wudang Pen Pal - Newbie

US FCC just published User Manual

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1010542&native_or_pdf=pdf

Couple of questions spring to mind;

1. Spec Sheet lists ExpressCard while UM lists PCMCIA Card slot. Hopefully it will appear with the ExpressCard slot - I intend adding Yoggie's new Security/AV ExpressCard.

2. No mention whether SD slot can handle SDHC cards - let's hope so.

3. Unclear whether it can accomodate both WAN and WLAN options - as per the Spec Sheet. It appears there is only one available module so it looks like it will be one or the other. Disappointing if this is the case given any half decent smartphone would be marked down if it didn't come equipped with both. Not a deal breaker but alongside lack of touch marks it down another notch as the perfect slate. If you can't choose both I'll use my existing 3G PCMCIA card and opt for WLAN in the module slot- that's of course if it comes with this slot in which case it means no ExpressCard slot and no Yoggie card :(

I'm still awaiting pricing info from UK so I'll ask for these additional questions to be answered at the same time.

16. delsolman

been quiet on this for a while. any news on this machine?

17. zanchin

zanchin Scribbler - Standard Member

You can buy it =) But a review would be nice!

18. MobiusStrip

MobiusStrip Pen Pal - Newbie

Sweet :D Maybe the 5111 and 5112's will be cheaper now.

19. Wudang

Wudang Pen Pal - Newbie

Released in UK yesterday :)
    Will update price structure in day or two but it's now been confirmed that it's a PCMCIA and not an Express card slot as published - weird choice but there you go.

Also assured that it doesn't need to occupy this slot if you opt for both WiFi and HSUPA - presumably these piggy back each other in the single module slot.

Credit crunch or not I'm going to place my order tomorrow - 15 days quoted to have it in my mitts!!! :D

20. Zeuxidamas

Zeuxidamas Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered mine tonight. The order will not hit the processing system until Monday, and I got it shipped ground. Should be here in a week-and-a-half, maybe two.
    - Vr/Z.