Fujitsu Releases LifeBook U820 Mini-Tablet and LifeBook P1630

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by MadCow, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Fujitsu announced today the updates to a couple Tablet PCs in their line-up. The first being the updated LifeBook U820 and the other the LifeBook P1630. Fujitsu's goal is to meet consumer and business demands for greater mobility and usability. The 1.32 pound LifeBook U820 combines full featured Windows functionality and integrated Garmin Mobile PC Navigation software and the feather-light P1630 has the latest Intel Centrino processor. Fujitsu really knows how to make a great travel companions for users, hopefully the price is right too.

[​IMG]

Fujitsu LifeBook U820 specs and new features:

New: Built-in GPS receiver and integrated Garmin Mobile PC software[/li]
      New: Lighter weight starting at 1.32 pounds.[/li]
      New: Intel Centrino Atom Z-series processor
      [/li]
      New: An additional row of keys and a new overall layout of the keyboard (resembles QWERTY)
      [/li]
      New: Security features including fingerprint sensor and BIOS lock, and adds a Kensington lock slot
      [/li]
      New: Up to 7.5 hours of battery life with 4-cell battery or 3.5 hours with new 2-cell battery option
      [/li]
      New: Hard disk drive up to 120GB or solid state drive up to 64GB.
      [/li]
      New: Improved screen resolution with WXGA display and touch and pen input.
      [/li]
      New: Enhanced video quality with 1.3 mega-pixel (640x480) resolution webcam
      [/li]
      Bluetooth wireless
      [/li]
      Atheros XSPAN wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n or optional wireless broadband (Q1 2009)
      [/li]

[​IMG]

Prices starting at $1,049 for a base configuration. Users can choose from a preconfigured tablet or they can customize their own U820. Check out Fujitsu's website for more information

Photo Gallery of the U820:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The LifeBook P1630 feather-light convertible Tablet PC features the new Intel Centrino 2 Ultra Low Voltage processor technology, integrated wireless broadband and a webcam. A step in the right direction for a compact tablet.

[​IMG]

Fujitsu LifeBook P1630 specs and new features:

New: Improved performance and battery life from the latest Intel Centrino 2 processor technology with dual-core Intel Core 2 Duo SU9300 Ultra Low Voltage Processor.[/li]
      New:Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 (802.11a/b/g/draft-n).[/li]
      New: Up to 6.15 hours with the high-capacity battery option — an hour longer than its predecessor.[/li]
      New: Optional wireless broadband (coming in the first quarter of 2009).[/li]
      New: Webcam with 1.3 mega-pixels (640x480) resolution.[/li]
      Weighing only 2.2 pounds[/li]
      8.9-inch WXGA touch-sensitive widescreen display with a high contrast ratio and exceptional viewing angle.[/li]
      Top and bottom magnesium-alloy exterior for extra durability and protection[/li]
      Solid state drive option.[/li]
      Advanced security with Fujitsu Portshutter data-leak-prevention software, and built-in biometric fingerprint swipe with pre-boot authentication (PBA).[/li]
      Optional integrated Bluetooth wireless technology.[/li]

Prices starting at $2,179 for a base configuration. Users can choose from a preconfigured tablet or they can customize their own P1630. Check out Fujitsu's website for more information

Photo Gallery of the P1630:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

TO Fujitsu: Active Please!!!!

These would certainly be potential adds to my x-mas list if they had active screens.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So true. :)

4. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

Just in case they are watching us, me too. Have my grand ready.

5. Castolom

Castolom Pen Pal - Newbie

Fujitsu has their reasons (for not making U series with an active digitizer), I've discussed this with them. Price is one of them. I put U820 configurations at the store's website now. Should get the first batch on November 12th, unless Fujitsu changes the dates. GPS is awesome, I heard, but I'm yet to get my hands on the unit to properly test it.

6. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

I can understand the desire to keep prices down, but not making it an option is making me unwilling to buy.

7. jsnorman

jsnorman Chicago Lawyer

I just got mine delivered today from Japan (U2010, I am pretty sure its the same as the new U820). It is pretty cool. The Japanese one comes with Microsoft's Oragami software too.

One thing I would note is that it is definitely slow-ish under Windows Vista. About the same in responsiveness as my HP 2133 which sports the ultra-slow VIA C7 1.6 mhz processor. I was surprised that the Atom was not much faster. Might be all of the preloads though, and I have not had enough time to really play around with it to see.

Let me know if I can answer any specific Q's.

8. MadCow

MadCow Pen Pal - Newbie

With only 1GB RAM and a 4200RPM hard drive, it is definitely going to be slow in Vista. I didn't do any proper timings, but startup and entering hibernation both feel very slow. Sleep takes a while too, though Vista's performance control panel points the blame at the Intel graphics driver (at 4secs).

I've got better performance using a Sandisk Extreme3 16GB SDHC for ReadyBoost, and may consider trying a 32GB CF card using CF to ZIF adapter if I can find the thing locally, but in the meantime the performance is pretty tolerable for web surfing, e-mails, PDF reading and PIM using Windows Calendar.

The Origami software is too sluggish to be worth using though.

If anybody has the SSD model I'd love to hear their experiences with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.