Fujitsu Q702 observations - the 'Q Continueum'

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

wiggle it does. I can feel my finger dragging. Like the matte surface prevents one from making a straight line with the finger. Pen does much better.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With the price of a refurbished Q702 dropping like crazy on the Fuji site, I am considering one of these for a high school graduate going off to college in the fall. I have quite a few questions for current owners.

First, for those of you who have watched the Fuji store, have you ever seen an I3 version of the Q702 in the store? How about a new vs. refurbished model? I haven't seen a WWAN model either. Has anyone else? I read in the 702 disassembly thread that an aftermarket card might work with the 702, has anyone confirmed this?

The display is 16:9, 1366 x 768, antiglare. Same brightness as the Q55x series? Overall screen quality vs. the Q55x?

Realistically, how long can the tablet be used outside the dock? Does the dock charge the tablet battery when it is replaced in the cradle? How stable is the slate in the cradle?

When the tablet is in the cradle, is it a direct connection or does it still use BT?

SSD is mSata? Is it soldered in or can it be upgraded? How about RAM? Can it be upgraded?

I imagine that this is no problem upgrading this unit to W8. Do any models of the 702 come with W8, like the 902?

That should do it for now ... I'm sure I'll have more later.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

From an earlier post: 'I just found a Fujitsu Battery Utility that has options to set full charge to less than 100% to extend battery end of life, and to charge the tablet battery from the dock battery and to use both batteries at the same time or to use the dock battery first, then the tablet battery. The Q702 continues to amaze me!

Regards Jim"

Some slight wiggle of tablet in the hinge when docked.

The tablet is a direct connection to the dock/keyboard.

SSD is mSATA and it can be upgraded, not soldered.

The OS options are W7, W8 or W7 with W8 DVD in the box. I upgraded a W7 to W8 Pro with no problems.

Good luck, Jim

4. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Update: Fujitsu's warranty service is really super. They pay for all the fast shipping. I had the refurbished unit in for the fan noise and an intermittent USB issue. The fan and main board were replaced. It seemed a lot quieter. However soon after that I noticed a bright spot on the screen. So I sent it in again and the LCD was replaced. (I was afraid that the plastic casing would be nicked badly now after all the disassembling but it looked fine!) After the LCD replacement I used it a bit and found the fan noise seemed to have come back. At this point I am thinking maybe it's the fan or the design. I don't feel like sending it back again right now and decided to open it up and add some foam to dampen any possible vibration. More later...

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

6. fujifan

fujifan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a professional using the q702 in portrait mode and primarily for pen use. The new "improved" digitizer by N-trig fails. It cannot be calibrated for portrait use. Also the pen stops working intermittently and inexplicably. What's more attempts to download an updated version has been unsucessful both from fujitsu and N-trig. The pen works somewhat better in landscape mode but my office application works better for me in portrait mode. I have used the Wacom digitizers on other fujitsus and it is much more reliable. I also do not agree with the discussion on weight. It is fine and much better than toting around my old 5010

7. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

For the N-Trig digitizer, the connection to the pen battery is often the culprit for intermittent inking. This was discovered by members back in the T580 days. Try loosening and re-tightening the battery cap, or, replace the battery. This generally works (and it is still NOT a WACOM).

Ron

8. hawkeye62

The ghost clicks have gotten much worse and calibration doesn't seem to help. I wonder if there is a touch screen driver that I could use to replace the N-trig driver? I don't use the pen, all I need is a driver for the touch screen.

Thanks for any help, Jim

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Open the N-trig Console and set the system to Touch Only.

Mine does these phantom clicks when it gets hot. Normally I have my Fujitsu Power Saving Utility set to CPU Performance--> Low and that helps a lot. Recently, however, on a trip in the motorhome out west where I was using it for a GPS the unit got in the sun and was unusable for a long time afterward. This experience has me looking once again at Atom based machines. The i5 is great in an A/C environment but not where the Q702 can get warm.

10. hawkeye62

Yeah, I did that and noticed some improvement after a reboot and a shut down and reboot. But I am still getting the ghost clicks and my i3 barely gets warm. On some pages I can actually see the clicks on the screen at random places. On a target rich page, no telling where I will go.

Thanks, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.