Fujitsu Q702 observations - the 'Q Continueum'

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Update on i5 running hot: some more measurements

peak CPU T (C) / outside air T (F)
    72 / 65
    69 / 64
    68 / 54

One comfort is that google says the max operating T is 105C.

Update: highest so far:
    74C with outside T at 61F

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry you are having problems. The only thing I have in common is the "ghost clicks". I do have clicks far away from where I am working once in a while.

At first, I was disappointed that the touch pad wasn't touch, but after using a laptop that has touch on the touch pad, I think no touch is a better option.

My i3 never gets hot and I never hear the fan. (Well there have been a few times after a reboot after a Win 8 update I think, when the fan went on high speed, then returned to low and silent speed before the reboot was finished.)

Good luck, Jim

3. Vitya

Vitya Pen Pal - Newbie

Jim, its nice to hear that you have no problems. My issues, I believe, are not at all due to the faulty of device, but rather the lack of features. If you read again what I wrote about the keyboard, the touchpad can't be configured to prevent accidental touches while typing (usual option on a netbook) and it doesn't even have scroll bars.

Ghost clicks for me can be fixed by calibrating the tuch: win+w,, then type "n-", select "n-trig..." (or from the tray) and there you have touch tuning option.

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

My ghost clicks had gotten so bad that I cringed any time I was on a target rich page. I am pretty sure the problem was that the cursor was moving to a random target, then any time I touched the pad a little too hard, it went to the target. The suggestion about win+w results in a message about no such command. BUT, in Control Panel there is an icon for N-trig Digitizer and then there is an option to calibrate. Calibrate seems to have eliminated my ghost clicks.

Regards, Jim

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, I had my Q702 (CPU: i5-3427U) for a few days now. Haven't had the time yet to fully examine it, but here are some initial observations:

HDMI output:
    This is some good news. No one from Fujitsu was able to tell me whether the HDMI output was capable of resolutions higher than 1920x1200. Well, I connected it to a 30-inch monitor (DELL U3014) and the Q702 was working with the external monitor as the single display at a resolution of 2560x1600 at 50p. No custom setting needed.
    I still have to find out which (custom) settings might work so that I can use the external 30-inch-monitor AND the Q702's display simultaneously.

Noise:
    The fan noise is annoying. I have not yet played around with the settings very much, but so far I am not happy. I was expecting the fan to go OFF in Idle mode, which it seemingly never does. I mean the fan does slow down after some CPU-demanding tasks, but I can still hear it. More annoying than the "airflow noise" is the noise of the fan itself.
    My decision on keeping the Q702 will also depend on whether I can find a solution to really quiet the fan noise to my liking. In all fairness, I am very perceptive to noise. But with my T5010 I could at least downclock it so that the fan was totally OFF.

Cameras:
    Simply horrible. Sure, most tablets don''t have good cameras, but the Q702's seem especially bad. I didn't intend to take photos with it, but I was hoping to be able to record some usable videos with the back camera during conferences, lectures etc. The highest video setting is 720p, but the recording looks more like 360p.

Keyboard/Touchpad:
    Well, there are some probably cost-cutting or simply stupid design decisions there. First, the touchpad: no scrolling area, no multi-touch and the button clicks are annoyingly loud. Second, the keyboard: I especially dislike the area around the arrow keys. They designed the keyboard chassis to have extra space for the arrow keys, like on the T902. But instead of using that and giving us additional PageUp/PageDown-keys, we now get an unusable "blank" key above the right arrow key and a "misplaced" right shift key. Also because of that, several keys in the 2nd-bottom row are even smaller than the rest. The stupidity of that keyboard design baffled me last year already and it still does.

These are just some things that stood out for me. Some of my complaints I knew beforehand. I will post some more observations once I have examined the Q702 in more detail.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. tabletdummy

So glad to know I am not the only one that found the fan too noisy. It sounds like the fan is rattling and hitting something inside. If I apply slight pressure around the fan area I can reduce the rattling sound by a lot. Once the pressure is released the rattling noise comes back. There is also unit to unit variation. The noise of a refurbished unit is annoying and being repaired right now. The noise of another unit bought new is a lot lower and doesn't bother me much at all.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This isn't running hot for ivy bridge at all! In fact, that is pretty cool. I am assuming this is what temperature is under load since you call it "highest so far" and not idle temps. Those would be high for idle temps, but perfectly acceptable for under load. Most ivy bridge machines run around those temps or higher under load.

My T902 runs at an average of 83-94 (C) when I push it with a game or rendering. If I could keep mine in the 70's I'd be laughing!!

So unless those are your idle temps and your temps under load are approaching high 90's you got nothing to worry about, and there's no way those temps should be effecting performance.

8. tabletdummy

Thank you for the info! Those are not exactly idle Ts. The CPU was running at ~15%. So far the highest I've seen under that condition is 78C. I haven't tried to push it yet. Thanks again!

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

to really get an idea of how hot your system is running try using furmark or a similar benchmark and monitor the temops with realtemp and enable log. I'd be curious to know how the Q702 does.

10. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

You can't really compare a full-wattage CPU with a ULV one unless you manually throttle your i7-3520m with ThrottleStop. I own the T902 as well (but with the i5-3320m) and when I ran Prime95 with ThrottleSTop limited to 2.5 GHz the temps were able to stay in the 70s. So there you go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.