Fujitsu Lifebook T937

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

just confirmed its Wacom AES from fujitsu datasheet:

Capacitive touch panel with Wacom® Active ES pen (2048 pressure levels)

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The parts required for EMR are measured in grams. The antenna is a foil sheet with a couple of surface mount chips and a ribbon cable connector. The weight difference between it and AES would be essentially unnoticeable. -In fact, if you use a third party AES stylus, then the weight of the battery needed to power it would be the heaviest element of the whole system. -Though the stylus (toothpick) which comes with the laptop, if it uses a capacitor (not sure about this) and a user sticks with just that, should still be quite light.

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

It's hardly worth it if parts are expensive and extremely hard to source because vendor discourages user maintenance by all means. In 5 years, repairing anything in this machine in official Fujitsu service center will cost more than its' market value.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Yao

it all depends on personal preference of features. to me, its very difficult to find a laptop device that has all these features.

$2,400+ for 5 years plus is decent.

HP Elitebook x360 13 is close to perfect. I wish it had right / left dedicated click buttons.

also, just wait a little while and get a T937 from fujitsu outlet.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Yao

everything i read is that AES makes devices thinner (thereby lighter) and better on battery vs. EMR.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Yao I personally would want to put WiGiG in T937 right away... which means saying bye-bye to warranty, and embracing the pleasure of completely disassembling the machine without any documentation, and parts to repair it if something gets damaged in the process.

Oh, and I wish Elitebook X360 (and T937) had a trackpoint. (=

7. Yao

then you are beyond just a poweruser! and if lots of spares parts is what you need, then thinkpad, HP elitebook and Dell Latitude is probably the way to go for you.

however, i know some owners of T902 are still very happy with the it and can get parts easily for some reason. Perhaps the same will be the case for T937 down the line.

trackpoint would be even better addition. but i would settle for right / left mouse clicks buttons :)

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The T937 isn't the lightest of its kind... dunno where you're getting the weight numbers, the official manual says "from 3.31 lbs". It certainly has stuff that few or no other device in its class has: Ethernet port, VGA port, SmartCard reader, full-sized HDMI, full-sized SD card reader, optional LTE... that means a dongle-free experience. Plus it has user-replaceable battery (extremely rare) and it's in my preferred form factor (swivel).

But when stuff like the Yoga 720 13 offers the same specs (minus the ports) for $400 less, it can make you consider getting a $150 dock for all those ports.

It's certainly special, and if you hate dongles and like swivel displays it's definitely the device for you.

9. Yao

fujitsu site states 1.3 kg. But who knows with other things added on it. could be 3.31 lbs

and all the other things you mentioned like user replaceable battery is so rare these days. its such a great feature.

And I agree with you, the 'swivel' for the touchscreen is amazing. the "yoga" type folding backwards is not ideal.

the problem with the Yoga 720 is short battery life.

its so difficult to find a device that checks all the boxes you want, but the T937 seems to have a lot checked off but at a high price (which i can live with)

Starlight5 and ATIVQ like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Having opened up both types of machine to see how they work, I can report with some authority on the matter.

AES is both infinitesimally lighter and minus the antenna foil layer, will also allow for a slight bit of extra thinness, but it's barely worth mentioning in real terms. -However, the ad copy used to sell the system, (which is what we've all been reading since that accounts for 99% of the official material available; beyond that, you get into patent applications and development kit docs), is naturally going to make a big deal out of it.

For power, however, it's a slightly different story. Some of the energy requirement is offloaded to the AAAA battery in the AES stylus. -But for the Fujitsu rechargeable pen, it's still coming from the main laptop battery. In any case, the real-world effect on battery life when you consider all the other big draw hardware, (Screen back light, fans and chipsets), the battery draw of EMR might affect a laptop's runtime by a few minutes at most.

EMR is a very reliable system, and the real reason OEMs are switching away is that EMR costs more, before even considering the weird licensing issues, -it is far more challenging for engineering teams to include in a device. You need special screens/driver boards which don't cause EM interference with the antenna, not to mention a second layer of software integration. By contrast, AES is just piggybacked onto existing capacative touchscreen tech, making it an easy, attractive include.

But for end users, it can mean a step backwards in terms of quality of use experience, depending on your priorities.

It's not all bad; I've gotten some good work out of AES, but in terms of weight, thickness and to a lesser degree, power savings, it's largely a non-issue.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    jiyu711, Selofain and Starlight5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.