Fujitsu Lifebook T937

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI, the U72/4/57 are up on the US site for ordering.

2. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe T937 will not be a legend like the T902, but it should still be better than Thinkpad... the build quality of Fujitsu has always been very good.

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Build quality can't save mediocre specs at a high pricetag. I hope their enterprise customers get a deep discount for volume.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@IloveNY judging by T904/T935/T936 hinge issues, Fujitsu ain't better than Lenovo in build quality department. Also, servicing a Thinkpad is a dream compared to Fujitsu - parts are cheap and readily available, service manuals are public access - unlike a few leaks for Fujitsu we managed to come by thanks to @ATIVQ.

monkey13 likes this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know, I just had to rant a bit to to get over my disappointment :(

I don't know how it is in Japan or Asia in general, or in North America, other regions etc. but over here in Germany, which is the center of Fujitsu's European operations, I would guess, that B2B business made up for more than 90% of Fujitsu's revenue stream for a long time already. It was different when it was still Fujitsu-Siemens.
    Fujitsu also puts out a ton of information about their business and products/services, and it is all about corporate IT or users in a corporate-like environment. So yeah, us consumers/prosumers don't matter much for them.

But still, some decisions with the T937 are odd even with their focus on corporate users:
    - AES/EMR certainly doesn't matter for the vast majority of these users, so that would be the most understandable from their POV.
    - Higher-res (not ultra-high-res) screens are a good thing even for folks working with spreadsheets etc. It can help with productivity.
    - The Lifebook T9XX was always the one with the high-end feature-set compared to the rest of Fujitsu's lineup. "Old" specs like 1366x768 or VGA are readily available on their other devices. So why in some aspects stop advancing the T9XX and even crippling it?
    - The port replicator is of course an important part of their laptop lineup and can provide additional revenue streams, but if it gets in the way for things like HotSwap batteries, they should look ahead. Doesn't have to be Thunderbolt 3 but even a full-featured USB-C port would provide the same benefits. But Fujitsu doesn't seem to care about the higher end features that set the T9XX apart. It is just disappointing when they could do so much better with just a little more forward-thinking.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  6. FenderP

This could equally apply to someone like Panasonic who as I've mentioned elsewhere, adapt new things slowly (see: USB C port on the XZ6 not being Thunderbolt). Panasonic has never had the best screens and their market is purely the daily driver for business professionals.

I'm just wondering how good or bad the the U727 screen is going to be. Years ago, Fujitsu, Sony, and Panasonic used to compete head to head in Japan with ultraportables. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't take the fully expandable guts of the U727 and marry that to the P727 or R727.

kvoram likes this.
  7. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Thinkpad build quality so bad compared to Lifebooks?

From what I've read on the notebookcheck X1 Yoga 2016 review (in the comments below the review), the fan can't be celaned at all. I hope it still can be replaced. I had to exchange the fan two times in my T902. They seem to put a poorly designed and even poorer built 7 cent part into a 2k €/$ machine. I really don't have a clue about Lenovo, though. But the same company that serviced my T902 also does service for Lenovo, so I guess as long as I have warranty (I'll go for 5 year extended again) it will be ok. But I can't find anywhere a direct comparison on build quality between Thinkpads (say X1 Yoga) and Lifebooks (T9xx). Just to mention: I am impressed with Panasonic, I got an old CF-C1 and it's really well build. Only the keyboard is too small and cramped and the screen is a bit washed-out.

Anyway, nowadays except for the SSD and if you're lucky some other part (battery, wireless, fan) there's nothing one can service, as RAM is soldered. The T902 was a dream in this aspect.

8. FenderP

I know it's not a tablet, but the U7x7 series you can change storage and memory which is a nice change of pace. Panasonic really does a good job. Up until about two years ago, you could swap both memory and drives in their Japanese machines. Unfortunately, doing that now is pretty much out of the question. That's what makes me sad because if I could have upped the memory in the XZ6, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying one. Instead, it looks like I'm going to have to do something like the U727 and a Wacom Intuos.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@FenderP why not get P727 instead? It is exactly like U727 but with Yoga-style hinges, touchscreen and Wacom AES. The only tradeoff is single memory slot on P727 vs dual on U727, i.e. 16GB max memory instead of 32GB; otherwise, the machines seem identical.

10. FenderP

I need 32GB. If I could live with 16GB, I'd get the Panasonic XZ6 and a form factor I love, or I'd just stick with the Vaio Z Canvas which handles most workloads with ease. But my needs have changed, so it no longer really works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.