Fujitsu Lifebook T937

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So far that description and the datasheet are disappointing in a few aspects:

- No mention of the CPU options with Iris Plus graphics and additional onboard RAM
    - No mention of hot-swapping and secondary battery
    - As feared, the USB-C port seems to offer nothing beyond data transfer, and that seemingly not even as USB 31.1 Gen 2.

On a minor plus-side they do mention a port replicator, so it seems they didn't strip that away. It also still has a pen silo.

The real joke is how they are calling the lower-res FHD display "super high resolution". Yeah Fujitsu, really "super" of you to scrap the WQHD option...

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

3. kvoram

Isn't it lovely how the one thing that you can always rely on is that corporations screw up the information flow towards their (potential) customers?
    I mean, information management at this level is not that hard and I would guess that Fujitsu is rather micro-managing these things.

4. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody know if Fujitsu U series like U727 will come to US? I read nothing about it but the U series always came to US like the U745

5. kvoram

Some new infos from Fujitsu regarding battery hot-swap capability and docking connectivity:

- Main Battery Hot-Swap-Capability and the 13Wh-Bridge battery will only be offered on the US market.
    - The US version will not have the traditional docking connector for the Port Replicator.
    - In Europe, the T937 will have the docking connector, as that was requested by many customers.

The bridge battery and the docking connector are in the same place, so both aren't possible.

IMHO, they could have solved that easily if they had made the USB-C port Thunderbolt 3-capable and switched to a Thunderbolt 3 dock. I can't imagine that many people would have an issue with plugging in a single Type-C cable vs. snapping it on the Port Replicator.

The preliminary US shop listing is so far the only mention of CPU versions with Iris Plus graphics. Maybe this will also not be offered in every market, if any.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Starlight5 and ATIVQ like this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Lack of Thunderbolt can be manageable if USB type C supports charging - but does it? Iris-equipped T937s that come with 4GB onboard memory in addition to memory slot, thus having part of memory running in dual-channel, are obviously much more preferable.

7. kvoram

I may be wrong, but based on the information I have seen thus far, the USB-C port is basically just a USB 3.0 port in Type-C form. No USB 3.1 Gen 2, no USB Power Delivery, no DP Alt Mode, no Thunderbolt 3.

I assume Fujitsu's USB-C dock is also going to be just a regular DisplayLink dock, with only the cable switched to USB-C.

Fujtsu did some good things like a better hinge and at least regionally Hot Swap capabitlity. But other decisions I cannot understand.

I guess when Fujitsu decided to update the T936, it went like this:

First, grabbing a bunch of random people and putting them in a room. Then, listening to them.
    • Two people had bad eyesight, so they made a 1366x768 option.
    • One dude complained that he needs an adapter for his 19-year old VGA projector. So they put VGA back in.
    • Another person said he saw someone else open OneNote with a click on a Surface pen. So they scrapped EMR, knowing that needed power, but not thinking if they were actually doing that functionality on an AES pen.
    • One guy said he wanted a high-res screen, but he only knew the acronym for Full-HD. So nobody asked specifically for WQHD and Fujitsu forgot about it.
    • Someone said they heard that USB-C was the future, but couldn't explain why. So Fujitsu put USB-C in, but also didn't know what to do with it.
    • Docking capability was mentioned randomly. When Fujitsu's 95-year old product manager for docking stations was asked about it, he demanded that port replicators must be built like this until the end of time. His younger colleague mentioned Thunderbolt, but the old guy thought that was a comic character from his youth.
    And then someone gave this unfiltered as a To Do-list to the engineers... o_O

monkey13 and Starlight5 like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I think they're focusing on the business market because they can't compete in the high-end consumer market. 200 PPI or greater, Thunderbolt 3, and EMR are "prosumer" features. VGA, proprietary dock (that doesn't work on any other device), and hot-swap battery are business features.

9. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

With these rather peculiar design decisions, if I would be in for a new convertible, I would go with the Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 2 (2017). It's got TB, the new pen doesn't have a battery, but a capacitor (I read that somewhere, but I don't know where), so it shoud last a while as opposed to Li-Ion. The Lenovo has no removable battery though. But Iris graphics, maybe even over here in Europe. And I don't know about the keyboard, people say Thinkpads have nice keyboards.
    2018 I'll be looking for a replacement for my T902 (which I will keep as a backup! It's still great, they came back to this type of hinge/chassis design for the T937) and I'm curious to see what will be then on the market.

Starlight5 and ATIVQ like this.
  10. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@kvoram your decription is hilarious! (=

@ATIVQ afaik Dell, HP, Lenovo dumped proprietary docking interfaces in favor of TB3 on their latest business offerings.

Fujitsu's approach is... confusing. They could have made perfect machines, yet... we get what we get. Instead of building on success of T902 by renewing the design, they chose to hamper T7XX with low-res screens and T9XX with dropping half the features. I'd be absolutely happy with T734 or T726 with WQHD or 4K, despite their chunkiness - and probably satisfied with FHD. Alas, never going to happen.

@monkey13 I ordered a TPY 260 to replace my X220 Tablet. Like X1 Yoga less because of soldered RAM, and screen with PWM - I am not sensitive to it, but still take this factor into consideration. Thinkpad keyboards are great, and they have a trackpoint - something I really miss on Fujis.

I'd be glad to replace my T734 with T936, or maybe even T937 - but only if I get a configuration with already included LTE and best display option for a very decent price, otherwise it will likely be some TPY or Elitebook convertible.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.