Fujitsu Lifebook T937

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree about doing your own RAM and SSD upgrades, but the downgrade on the standard screen from the last three models is disappointing, as well as I previously mentioned no stylus silo which is just plain dumb. And yes, for the standard configuration I'd only pay about a $1000.
    Relativity satisfied with my T935 that I paid $1500 for new, only shortcoming is the battery life- doesn't match up with other new competitors.

If I had to choose another model, I'd go with the Thinkpad Yoga 260-http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-260/

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Rondo60 I'd love a T936 if it had better battery life - or at least a bridge battery like T937. Thinkpad Yoga 260 has soldered 8GB RAM if comes with WWAN instead of upgradeable RAM on non-WWAN model - that's ridiculous, stupid, and a deal-breaker for me... that is unless I get one for $300 or so - then it's manageable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Rondo60 likes this.
  3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T937 is quite the oddball with its current changes. The feature set creates a full range of emotions for me ranging from "great, that is awesome" to "huh?, ah well, whatever" to " nooo, why did you do that?". Here is my take on what we know thus far:

Battery:
    The fact that they improve the already easily swappable battery by adding a bridge battery to make it hot-swappable is just great.
    The battery alone has 10% more capacity, 50Wh vs. 45Wh on the T904/T935T936. Together with the 13Wh bridge battery, total capacity increase is 18Wh, that's a whopping 40% more. Add the newer CPU generation, and this should have some very nice battery life improvements on its own.

I was lucky enough when I snagged my T904, that it came with a second battery. The great thing is, that the battery is quite wide, but only 7mm thin. That makes it possible to fit it even in a tight sleeve together with my T904, which makes it a far better portable solution than carrying around a charger. So if my battery is low, I shutdown/hibernate my system, swap the battery out literally within a few seconds, reboot and continue my work. I am up to 100% battery again, all in maybe three minutes, even if I were in a desert. You can't beat that comfort and lightning-fast "charging speed".

It is a shame that we don't get more swappable batteries in the tablet-pc world.

Display:
    Of course the odd and very, very bad thing is that they do not offer a WQHD 2560x1440 option anymore, but replace that with a WXGA 1333x768 option. Oh, and charging extra now for FullHD? Seriously Fujitsu, what were you thinking? I understand that there may be people who want or need such a low res, but there can't be more people who want lower-res than higher-res. Maybe they are just trying to streamline their component costs, but this is making me angry.
    I have no idea what made them switch to AES, but Fujitsu's main user group of corporate/office people probably doesn't care about AES vs. EMR so I guess it was simply a matter of saving some money.

Ports:
    Bringing back VGA after three generations is very odd. Sure, VGA still hasn't left the business world, but I am surprised that there was significant demand for that? I don't mind, but strange anyway.
    Adding USB-C is great but it looks like this is not a full-featured port. I had read about their U7x7-Series that this might be able to power the device, but if so, that's it. No Thunderbolt 3, no DP Alt Mode. They bend backwards for VGA and WXGA folks, but offer nothing for people who look into the future? That also means there is still no capability to connect a 4K@60Hz display to it, which brings me to:

Docking Station:
    It is uncertain yet, but the graphic on the quick start guide does not show a docking port. That would be an odd departure, and would elimitate any true 4k@60z external display possibilites. On their new U7x7 laptop series, which seem to share quite a bit of the chassis design, there still is a docking port.

CPU/GPU:
    The CPUs listed haven't been announced yet by Intel, so we don't know much. Odd is the mention of Iris "Plus" graphics. Intel hasn't used the term "plus" in connection with Iris GPUs. Maybe a mistake by Fujitsu or a new naming scheme by Intel?

RAM:
    I guess some would have liked a 32GB option, but I would be totally fine with up to 20GB. I don't think the onboard 4GB on the Iris variants will be completely reserved for the GPU as @ATIVQ suggested, as that would be a lot. I don't know if this might be a requirement or necessity for that Iris graphics. Maybe Fujitsu is pairing some higher-spec onboard RAM with Iris and adding a lower-spec SO-DIMM module to save money but still offer the best GPU performance.

Serviceability:
    Besides the hot-swappable battery, the direct access to the SSD and RAM is of course very welcome. Makes for some easy and cheap upgrade possibilities without worrying about warranty.

Chassis:
    The lack of pen silo is disappointing, but on the other hand since the T904 the pen was no longer full-sized. But i still wish I had that "always with me" emergency pen in addition to separate a full-sized one. I don't find a single m.2 slot limiting like @Starlight5 since it supports PCIe/NVMe so it is fast and you can get that with 2TB already so storage space isn't an issue either.
    I just hope they continue to keep a full-size and full-depth SD-Card slot, can't see that on the guide graphic.
    The seemingly sturdier hinge is nice. I haven't had an issue with my T904 hinge yet but I have been careful with it since I never trusted that as much as the hinge ony my T5010.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Rondo60, Starlight5 and ATIVQ like this.
  4. Starlight5

@kvoram 2TB m.2 costs more than 4TB 2.5" SATA.

Rondo60 likes this.
  5. kvoram

@Starlight5 You are of course right when we are talking about $/GB, a 2.5" SSD is much cheaper. But that is simply not going to happen anymore, as a 2.5" SSD is wasting a lot of space from a manufacturer's perspective. Current 2.5" SSDs are often literally half empty, that is a lot of wasted space when engineering a device. Personally, I would like both a m.2 SSD and a 2.5" HDD in a device but there is no way I'll see that in such compact form factor.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

hello, i have a T serie and a Celsius H760... they have m.2 slots but I think they are empty... Can I add it and boot from it? is there an instruction for FUJITSU laptops?

7. kvoram

@IloveNY Certainly on the H760, for the T series depends on which TXXX it is. There aren't any instructions that Fujitsu offers directly. So you will have to look for disassembly/tear-down posts for your specific device.

8. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you.

is there any instruction on how to add the m.2 SSD and boot from it for my Celsius H760?
    I heard the Lifebook T902 has m.2 slot too.
    best regards

9. Starlight5

@IloveNY T902 has an mSATA slot, which you can use for either mSATA SSD or WWAN modem.

10. jiyu711

jiyu711 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.