Fujitsu Lifebook T935 - successor to the T904

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

You didn't notice the screen issues on the T904? ... I'm very much NOT OCD about things like this, and it is hard not to see the view angle problems on my T904, so it makes me wonder if maybe not all T904's have the problem? Have you used many IPS displays or mostly just TN?

I can easily see the view angle problem on my T904 while looking at it perpendicular (I think) because of the difference in view angles from the middle of the screen to the edges is enough to produce noticeable distortion. When using it in tablet mode lying on a desk so it is far from perpendicular to my eyes the colors are highly washed out.

2. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe it's something, that "if you broke the glass for me", I will notice it forever. Can you take a photo to show me the difference of the T904 and a normal screen?

3. in4mer

For those who have the T935, there is an EC firmware update that is supposed to fix the CPU throttling issue when the computer is docked. CPU gets stuck at 0.47ghz and doesn't change even if you change the power setting to high performance.

I had updated it, but it happened once, so not sure if it works.

4. in4mer

Still doesn't fix my problem. It helps those who don't have it in a docking station but I do most of the time...Fujitsu FIX THIS PLEASE!

5. in4mer

BIOS 1.12 on the US support website

Please read the following instructions before flashing the System BIOS:
    - Please connect a working AC adapter before starting BIOS flash.
    - Please suspend BitLocker encryption before starting BIOS flash in case BitLocker encryption is enabled.
    - Please do not switch off your system until BIOS flash process is completed.
    - Please reboot your system after BIOS flash has been completed.
    - Please assure the first boot device is the internal HDD or Windows boot manager.

Fixed Issues:
    - Added support for “UEFI Boot” item in BIOS setup Boot Configurations.
    Please contact Fujitsu America Inc. support for menu item enablement.
    - Fixed Sleep/Resume vulenrability. [sic]
    - Fixed Ethernet slow speed connectivity.

6. Inky

Inky Pen Pal - Newbie

I find vastly conflicting information on whether the T935 supports driving external screens at 4K either via the built-in HDMI or via DisplayPort from the port replicator or a docking station.

Some datasheets claim it is possible on the HDMI only, some claim it is possible via DP on the base only; others claim 2560 is the maximum on both of them.

T935 owners please, pretty please: Does it work for you? Any info welcome: HDMI or port replicator, 30 Hz or 60Hz. Some of you must have a 4K screen or know someone who has?

Thanks in advance!

7. in4mer

From the Fujitsu Global Website
    http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do?srch=TECHSPECS
    TFT resolution (HDMI) up to 4096 x 2160

Port Replicator
    Display Port
    1 (up to 2560 x 1600) (not usable in parallel with DVI) In case both are connected Display Port has higher Priority.

From the Fujitsu US Data Sheet
    http://docs.ts.fujitsu.com/dl.aspx?id=19c126f6-a3d6-4a83-b25b-91d985dfd062

TFT resolution (HDMI) up to 1,920 x 1,200
    TFT resolution (VGA) up to 1,920 x 1,200
    TFT resolution (DVI on Port Replicator) up to 1,920 x 1,200
    TFT resolution (DisplayPort on Port Replicator) up to 2,560 x 1,600

Port Replicator

DisplayPort 1 (up to 2560 x 1600) (not usable in parallel with DVI) In case both are connected DisplayPort has higher proirity. VGA 1
    DVI 1 (up to 1920 x 1200) (not usable in parallel with DisplayPort)

Now, having said that, I have the AOC 34 inch Ultra Wide Screen Monitor that goes up to 3440 x 1440.
    I've used the display port at recommended resolution of 3440 x 1440 60hz and it works fine, but sometimes there are crackles with the audio and random times, and little twitches/flickers. Contacted AOC and the pointed out that the laptop doesn't officially support the resolution.
    I've used HDMI at 3440 x1440 30hz and it works fine as well. Only used for a day or two to test it out, and only seemed to get little flickers, so maybe the AOC tech is right, that the laptop doesn't support that resolution. HOWEVER, if you look at the intel website for the HD 5500 graphics card, it says:

What is the maximum resolution Intel graphics can support?

The maximum amount depends on many factors, such as chipset, monitor capabilities, and manufacturer configurations. Check with your computer and display manufacturers to find out what the maximum resolution is for both the computer and display.

If you are using multiple displays in clone or duplicate mode, you can only select a resolution that all displays support.

If you go to the reference guide, https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics;
    It says it supports the following:
    DisplayPort* 1.2 / eDP*
    U-Processors: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (T935)
    H-Processors: 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
    HDMI*: 4096 x 2304, 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 24bpp
    DVI: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

So, we have some conflicting information on the Fujitsu website, but I can confirm that DP @ 3440 x 1440 (recommended by windows) @ 60hz works fine, runs fine, other than my flickering issue. HDMI @ 3440 x 1440. The only minor thing is that since it's at a slower refresh rate, the mouse when moving quickly, lags a bit. Probably ok with watching movies, but you might start to notice lag when you are doing anything faster than 30hz.

If anyone could shed some light on the twitching, would be greatly appreciated. It works fine for most of the time, but the flickering is a little worrying. Not sure if it will cause problems later.

8. Inky

Inky Pen Pal - Newbie

That is an excellent start, thank you very much!

Yes, the two you are mentioning are already contradicting, below I give a few more examples.

Normally, with that kind of a mess I would assume the worst, so 2560 only on any port. However, you have proven that that is thankfully not the case. The kind of display I would really like to run is 4k x 2k resolution; but at least it should be UHD (3840x2k)

4k x 2k is still more like twice as many pixels as your example; but we are getting much closer. Anyone around who knows someone with a decent 4K screen?

So here are some more data sets on top of yours:

Then there is:
    The German datasheet (apparently the place of assembly, at least for European units):

(HDMI) bis zu 4.096 x 2.160
    (VGA) bis zu 1.920 x 1.200
    (DVI auf Port-Replikator) bis zu 1.920 x 1.200
    (DisplayPort auf Port-Replikator) bis zu 4.096 x 2.160

However, in the port-replicator section it says:
    DisplayPort 1 (bis zu 2560 x 1600)
    (DVI auf Port-Replikator) bis zu 1.920 x 1.200

The technical data in the T935 manual:
    http://www.netshop.no/pdf/099E8564-110D-4388-9D7F-3D76AEC27E04.pdf

Graphics card: Chip Intel® HD Graphics 5500
    Maximum resolution on external display: 4096 x 2304 pixels

Another datasheet (I think the global one, from a Belgian reseller):

TFT resolution (HDMI) up to 4,096 × 2,160
    TFT resolution (VGA) up to 1,920 x 1,200
    TFT resolution (DVI on Port Replicator) up to 1,920 x 1,200
    TFT resolution (DisplayPort on Port Replicator) up to 4,096 × 2,160
    TFT resolution (HDMI on Port Replicator) up to 4,096 × 2,160

(Again in the port replicator section, the displayport is mentioned again, at 2560 res only)

So there we have it, a big mess.

9. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Official Fujitsu Japan also says 4096 × 2160 for HDMI: http://www.fmworld.net/biz/fmv/lifebook/t935k/
    I think you can be 99% sure that HDMI supports 4096 × 2160 @ 30 Hz.

About the Displayport, it shoud support the same and additionally 3840 × 2160 @ 60 Hz but I can't guarantee.

10. in4mer

Yes, I realize you need to look at the specifications of the different interfaces. Can't confirm what is in the machine, only make some inferences based on date of release of the interface and the machine and actually testing it out. For example: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hdmi-vs-dvi-vs-displayport-vs-vga/

DisplayPort version 1.2 offers a maximum resolution of 3,840×2,160 at 60 FPS
    HDMI 2.0 can pass video signals with a pixel resolution of 3820 x 2160 at up to 60 frames per second

DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on December 22, 2009. from the wikipedia page.
    DisplayPort version 1.3 was approved on September 15, 2014 ... This bandwidth allows for 5K displays (5120×2880).

So my assumption is that the T935 is at least DP 1.2. since it was released in 2015 and time would be needed to test/build the machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

HDMI 1.4 released May 28. 2009 4096×2160p/24 Hz
    HDMI 2.0 released sept 4, 2013 4096×2160p/60 Hz

Might have had a chance to be HDMI 2.0, but I can guarantee that it is 1.4 because maximum refresh rate at 3440X1440 is 30hz. Won't make a difference to most customers for the T935, only those who browse these forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.