Fujitsu Lifebook T935 - successor to the T904

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Jan 15, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm watching the high end versions of the Companion 2 with great interest.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm sorry for being lame, but it that a joke or a real product?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Real product.

4. stoneseeker

5. lovelaptops

Thank you for that, Stone. I'm now fully read-in on the product. Sounds very high end in terms of art template but disappointing computer hardware, depending on the Broadwell cpus' performance. 16GB max RAM must be disappointing to you, particularly at these prices. Could you function without a laptop keyboard device or would you keep the T902 for "turnkey" mobile computing?

6. stoneseeker

Not sure, I do prefer the convertible in practice, but perhaps having a less bulky slate will be nice in some circumstances. I do like the built in kickstand over lugging a cooler master riser around with me.

there are trade offs for both:

T902 pros:

-convertible (nice built in keyboard, and adjustable angle on the lap.)
    -modular bay gives more storage options, or more battery life.
    -more battery life or- I assume, with the larger battery and similar voltage CPU. Broadwell might be efficient enough to even it out, but if both are under heavy use case, the T902 larger battery will pull through.
    -self-upgradeable

CC2 Pros:

-higher res!
    -Better Digitizer tech
    -can be used as a cintiq on any computer as well
    -thinner and lighter
    -built in kickstand
    -more powerful integrated GPU

Which one is more powerful is yet to be seen. 28 watts on the CC2 and 35 watts on the T902, but there is a gap of 2 generations there, so the more efficient newer CPU's may actually surpass the T902 in benches, but sustained load depends on how well they cool their system under load.

If it surpasses in power, that would be enough for me to make a slate a part of my workflow. I had to adjust to a convertible, I'm sure I could adjust to a slate. Especially one with a kickstand.

7. lovelaptops

Makes good sense. I really enjoy your sharing your analysis of pros and cons. I think the only key variable you didn't incorporate is $$ (my currency), € or whichever applies to you. Clearly if cost was not a constraint it would be a no-brainer to get a CC2 to add to your device stable along with your T902 and Note Pro 12.2. The CC2 would appear to be your preferred "serious" artwork platform while the other two devices would appear to fill in for various mobility and other computing needs. So I guess if you have a spare $2,600 in your pocket the choice is clear. If you're not in that rarefied financial bracket and would need to sell either the Note Pro or the T902 to help finance the CC2 purchase, the decision matrix becomes more complex. I guess a Cintiq-like device makes sense for someone with your talents and professional needs (I just assume your art is more than a "hobby" for you though I'm not sure I recall a post in which you confirmed this.) I suppose owning the Cintiq would enable you to supplant the T902's keyboard and horsepower with one of today's far less costly Haswell or even Broadwell laptop in the $500 price range as those are plenty powerful companion devices when only a laptop form factor will do but the ability to carry both and set up with the kickstand-supported Cintiq - or maybe using the modestly priced laptop for email, social media or any kind of written product.

I am fairly overwhelmed by the recent onslaught of new stylus technologies and theoretcal (pending more reviews by TPCR brain trust) options for note takers and diagrammers. At long last it appears that penabled computing is on the verge of becoming as necessary as a keyboard or mouse.

I look forward - as ever - to your hands-on evaluations of as many of these as you - and a select group of the aforementioned elder statesmen of this vaunted Forum . Cheers, bye for now! Jeff

8. stoneseeker

I am speaking with Imagine FX about getting a review unit through them to review for their magazine. It might be difficult to do since they are based in the UK and I in Canada, but if I do that would be a great opprotunity to compare the T902 and CC2 side by side as well.

*To confirm your question, yes, I am use the T902 8-10 hours a day -!- for my job as a creative professional... I am an Art Director and Lead Animator at a 2D animation studio. I use it for animation, FX, design and illustration. That's how I justify the expenses! A CC2 or T902 would be an expensive toy for a hobby!*

Also, the CC2 is actually cheaper than the T902 was with the equivalent specs. I paid $3200 after taxes to outfit mine with a 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAm. The same in CC2 would be $2600 +tax. If I configured T902 to those specs on the website itself, it would have costed me $3600-ish.

bloodycape likes this.
  9. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I think battery life will be the biggest drawback of the Companion 2. I can get up to 10h of battery life with light usage out of my T902 + modular bay battery. The Companion 2 is rated for "up to 4.5h" and who knows which config they used (i3 15W vs. i7 28W?).
    Oh and the kickstand isn't built in like on the Surface Pros, it's an extra accessory (see this vid: )

Oh and we should move to another topic ;)
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ion-2-existence-change-anything-for-you.65224

10. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just going to wait for the surface pro 4....my T902 is chugging along fine. I don't see why they are limiting the specs so much!