Fujitsu Lifebook T935 - successor to the T904

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The Czech order page lists both display panels with a digitizer.

The T902 is a workstation while the T904 and T935 are business notebooks, these are different niches. Art professionals are going to get the Cintiq Companion 2 anyway.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I stand corrected, I think, but you might want to take that up with Stoneseeker, an extremely accomplished art professional who uses a T902 as a template for much of his work, as I understand it.

What is not clear to me is, what makes the T902 a "workstation" ("workstation notebook," I would presume is the precise description) and the T904/935 "notebooks?" Is it weight, price, battery life? The reason I ask is that I believe the price points are quite similar and if the primary difference between what Fujitsu is marketing as a "notebook" (with Wacom active digitizer) and what it markets as a "workstation" for art professionals is simply a tradeoff of some weight and battery life for boatloads of performance, functionality and flexibility, it's hard to see what would entice "casual" art professionals to pay $2,000 and more for little more than an ultrabook/tablet PC that they can now buy with either Atom quad core or various Core i engines for about 1/2 the price (eg, SP3 i5/4GB/128GB for $999 vs. T935 with the same configuration for 50% - 100% more money).

Not trying to be argumentative here, but the same discussions have been going on in the ultraportable segment (eg, Sony Z/S series with up to Ivy Bridge standard mobile voltage/TDP) for several years. To wit: why is nobody making 35W TDP 13" - 15" notebooks with what used be considered "standard mobile voltage" vs., for the same price, Core M, U, or Y version cpus with 8GB maximum RAM (soldered), limited interchangeable storage, wireless or gpu options, all for the same price, with the current models' only claims to fame being that they weigh 3 lbs vs. 4, are about 0.3" thinner and, more because of the advance of technology than targeted configurations for the market, have QHD/QHD+ displays rather than FHD or even - heavens! - HD+ resolution displays!

I admit that I have not done all my research here and may be spouting off as "facts," imprecise recollections of configurations/performance past and present, but I believe I am within striking distance of an accurate portrayal of the rather sorry state of the "work-ready" notebook market today vs. 2-4 years ago, when, for roughly the same money, you could get the kind of awesomely powerful "DTR"/"Workstation" caliber notebook product in place of today's "glamour" ultrabook style, ULV cpu notebook with a Wacom dual digitizer being the only thing that Fujitsu uses to justify a $1,500 - $2,000 price tag for what otherwise amounts to a $1,200 Ultrabook with a Wacom or N-trig digitizer. Nor is Fujitsu the only player taking advantge of current confusion of performance vs. features without concomitant performance - the Lenovo Helix 2 being that company's answer to replacing a powerful, flexible Tablet like the X220T with an anemic, overpriced, underpowered 11.6" ULV cpu tablet PC whose $1,500 - $2,000 price point is justified by, well, pretty much just brand name, when competition from the likes of Microsoft offer the same or more performance for half the price.

Ok, ok, I'm off on one of my tangents and have now repeated myself 2-3 times in making this "case!" Out of all of this my main point is that we're pretty much marching in place or going backwards and delivering less value, less performance and the need to tote around my 3-4 year old Fujitsu or Lenovo TPC to produce the kind of work I need these tools to produce. (One last point: this is not a first-person account: I am not an artist or professional requiring high-TDP, 32GB RAM supporting DTR notebooks to ply my trade. I'm speaking for the Stoneseekers of the world! I do have those same needs on the computational side (eg, Sony Z era power) but since this whole thing arose from a discussion of the T935 as Fujitsu's best TPC effort on the market today. Plus, my friends are digital artists!)

Peace. I'll edit this down in size as soon as time permits.

Jeff

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You're right, these are arbitrary marketing definitions... workstations are powerful, business notebooks are sleek. None of the marketing for the T904 or T902 is aimed at artists at all, the usefulness to artists is a fluke caused by the Wacom digitizer. Outside of that, the Surface Pro line is priced way below its competitors because Microsoft wants to penetrate the tablet PC market and they're marketing heavily at students.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Your not missing anything, and I got hope in Wacom to fill the shoes for my future a bit now, but I do think Fujitsu aims at more enterprise and realizes U series are enough for most of their clients. I'd be surprised if they turn up another T902 successor with a quad core and more ram etc etc, I just don't think that is Fujitsu's aim right now. They want to hit the business market and the professionals they serve in the highest numbers probably only need 8 gigs ram and a decent ultrabook specs.

My boss bought a good used i7 t902 a while back and while I considered the same, I might instead wait to see what the reviews for the new Companion are like for animators and those really push hardware. My concern is throttling and functionality without the convertible form factor. The power looks decent in it, though not sure if it's 28 watt will compete or overthrow the 35 watt in the T902 yet.

5. lovelaptops

Thanks for clarifying, Stone. Having spent a career focused primarily on developing strategies to market technology - based products to professionals and executives I am certainly clear on the ways large enterprises create perceptions about their products to address the market they wish to sell to, not necessarily the one their product specs best supports. I just find Fujitsu's longstanding positioning of their Tablet PC lines (and similarly, their executive /professional models without digitizers) as something other than mid-pack devices to be disingenuous and their pricing (except certain noteable "budget" lines they've marketed from time to time) to be bordering on fraudulent. I know it's a free market and that no one is forcing people to pay $2,000 for a 13" notebook with mediocre ULV specs and a Wacom digitizer when increasingly there are alternatives in the market selling for as little as 1/2 the price. At the end of the day I guess I'm in large part expressing a long held (legitimately, I believe strongly) disdain not only for F's practice of selling mostly overpriced mediocre gear based on the "halo" of some truly class-leading stuff they've occasionally produced (eg, T-902) and, most insidiously, their CIA-like guarding of such things as service manuals (which you can't buy unless you are an authorized Fujitsu repair facility!) or eben parts, which can only be purchased from Fujitsu, generally through the aforementioned authorized repair facility - who adds a nice markup to Fujitsu's already overpriced parts list. Bearing in mind, one needs to go through the authorized third party because only they have a service manual showing schematics and part numbers, without which you couldn't even identify the part you need to complete even simple repairs.

How's that for a run-on sentence, Stone? :D

PS: Fujitsu is not one of my favorite companies to do business with; does it show?

6. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, looks like Fujitsu unwittingly makes the case for having 2 devices instead of one if a powerful computer is necessary. A mobile workstation comes equipped a 2+GB professional video card at a minimum. That along with 2 or more HDD bays, docking port, multiple fans w/ copper ducting for 24/7 operation at full load, the most powerful CPUs on the market, lots of ports (eSATA) and 32GB of RAM. Oh, workstations have mil spec chassis and are certified by professional software vendors. So, even the T902 doesn't really pass as a workstation.

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I agree. Only the Modbook Pro X could really own the term "workstation" in the tabletPC world. (and maybe the old Ntrig optional Dell M6600)

For those needing power and tablet capabilities, Fujitsu used to be the best place (or only place) to look, even if it was far from what we really wanted in the power department. I have learned though that I actually can get away with the T902 amount of power in my field, despite me originally doubting it would always pull its weight (luckily I don't use 3D much) , so perhaps my needs are not as demanding as I think... though I would consider the full voltage dual core and 16 gigs ram the minimum for my job, and was certainly fortunate Fujitsu was able to supply the demand, even if at my minimum specs.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

Question : when the day comes that your T-902 goes to computer heaven, what in the world will you replace it with?

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should run circles around his T902, but if memory serves I think it is still about 300 years off.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funny.

Has anyone else ever indulged in configuring their system using the Star Trek / LCARS interface insofar as is possible?

I actually bought both of the Berkeley Software Stardate programs (TNG and TOS) and have tried various utility programs and skins to make my system look / work like a PADD.

I really wish that someone would manage a comprehensive system which was actually useful and did something interesting w/ multi-touch.