Fujitsu Lifebook T935 - successor to the T904

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll look into it more, was primarily concerned about the battery. What crazy web server are you talking about if the device is off? Not sure about it being a security hole if you don't give permission for remote access, but I'll look into it.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The AMT web server. Very useful, but imagine all the security holes it introduces. vPro features are so extensive (and undocumented) that you might be running an unpatchable backdoor that can bypass all of your device's security. Intel really needs to make something like this open-hardware so security analysts can inspect it.

3. yaboo

yaboo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi can it please be confirmed that a 16gb simm module be used in the t935. I would upgrade from 8gb to 16gb. I am running ubuntu linux on my t935.

4. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't feel like hunting for it but someone in an earlier post or another t935/t936 thread mentioned updating their t935 successfully to 16GB. The t904 unfortunately can't be updated to 16 though to my knowledge (bios or chipset limitation). The t935 uses ddr3 while the t936 uses ddr4.

5. NVKnivek

NVKnivek Pen Pal - Newbie

Can i ask you why in detail you stated this? and especially are you still considering that still valid nowadays respect to the later models came out up to now? The Fujitsu T734 seems to be a really good machine to my eyes...isn't it? It has a socketed cpu. It become a possible first choice to find as a second hand refuribished..But having not touched neither seen or never tried these models I would appreciate a lot your comments and your recommendations and opinions concerning this argument.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I never had a T902- I looked at used ones on ebay and read and watched many reviews- it had some quirks I didn't want to deal with and the more compact T934-935 appealed to me. I settled on a new T935 for the warranty and am happy with it except for the Intel Pro CPU which drains the battery even when the computer is off (still struggling with how to disable it as I don't need it's features.). The T935 came with Windows 7 installed so I'm happy with that- the newer T936 comes with Windows 19.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

T734 is also a great choice for a used device, especially if your confident to tinker and replace the CPU with a compatible one and thats your thing. Personally I prefer the higher res and more screen size of the T902 if I was to choose between either of those used devices. I know of some T734 had full voltage quad cores tossed in with some success, mind you the thermals may keep it from reaching full potential.

T902 and T734 was the last of the full voltage processors used in the Fujitsu convertible line up, and also the last to support the full robust hot swap compartment (modular bay) that would allow for a second battery, or an extra SSD, or DVD drive etc. There were a couple photographers on this site who decked there's out with 2 1TB SSD's and another 120 gigs in the small m-SATA slot! I opted for the second battery and enjoyed 8 or so hours when they were new of working and browsing and painting etc.

The newer T-series sacrificed power and flexibility for a lighter thinner build which could be said for most of the tabletPC's available these days, disappointing those of us who didn't mind an extra half pound and thickness for a more reliable machine that would be able to take on heavier computing tasks.

The new low voltage CPU's being used are very efficient, and are quite likely better for short bursts in many average user scenarios. The T902 full voltage i7 I have can put in a day of After Effects and large photoshop painting that a low voltage CPU just cant do without seriously throttling every 30 seconds... along with the 16 gigs of DUAL channel ram (not the single channel BS in the current models) and a large SSD you can install yourself with ease, it sits somewhere between tabletPC and workstation for me which is why it seemed they went backwards as years went on. Even the screens have gotten dimmer and lower contrast since the T902. The T902 suffered in the GPU department and most average laptops today can play games better, and also suffered with a glitchy touchscreen (for some) and a fairly infamous pen glitch well documented in the forums. It required a glove to be worn to reduce the amount the cursor glitch would happen significantly.

So in summary: T902 has a better screen, higher voltage CPU, 16 gigs of dual channel RAM, and more flexible options in the form of the modular bay...

-however-

Unless your scoring one for dirt cheap, there are better new alternatives today that offer more performance and less glitchy drawing and even better screens, with addition of dedicated GPUs and higher pixel density. Lenovo Yoga 720 15" for instance, seems like a really good buy for those who need more robust machines that can handle bigger workloads. It has Wacom AES, the only spot where T902 beats it IMO is the EMR.
    Also, if your rolling in dough, the new Mobile Studio Pro will net you decent performance and the best mobile drawing experience hands down. It isn't as convenient as the convertible form factor of the T902, nor does it have all the ports and flexibility, but it sure is nice for painting on the go.

Obviously everyone has different needs, for my needs though, the Fujitsu T902 was the last convertible Fujistu made that could work for me.

Selofain and Rondo60 like this.
  8. NVKnivek

Thanks a lot for your wide and detail replay Stoneseeker.
    I don't like either the ULV solutions and their thermal throttling issues and don't have a budget to wisely use at the moment on brand new purchases, so, as you said, I'm opting for an as dirty cheap as possible deal: a pleasant to use good quality 2 in 1 "old but gold" that can last as much as possible though I love the Lenovo Yoga 720 with the 1050 unfortunatly unavailable here on the Italian market on their site (at least not yet).

First of all hoping to find one, I'm quite torn between the T734 (more rare ) and the T902.
    I'm more inclined to the T734 as I'm considering to upgrade the CPU sooner or later. Hence no desoldering involved with the socketed MB (even if it not a problem as I have a friend with the proper tools and experience happy to play around it togher) a generation step further a bit faster and better integrated graphics (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...-vs-Intel-HD-4600-Mobile-115-GHz/m7653vsm7676). Maybe not he best idea on Fujitsu termal design but streching-out 10 w of TDP more even if it might bring a little more thermal throttling can toss in CPUs with higer base clock 2 MB more of cache (8 mb respect to the 6 of the max offical config with the Core i7-4702MQ http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_G3.html)
    What worry me ( I didn't notice at the time of the previous post) is the T734 12 gb max ram (4gb MB + 8 soddim) not only by the quantity limit as I'll use it with heavy loads and sometimes VMs, CAD and graphics programs. I guess it will work on single channel instead dual? Will it affect substantially performances? What do you think about?

What of course I like more on the T902 is the slightly bigger screen with higer relosution and the 16GB dual channel ram . But at the cost of older generation, desoldering the CPU to put in a physical Quad core ( 8 logical )at the only option of 10 w TDP more ( Core i7-3612QE or Core i7-3615QE http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/BGA1023_Ivy Bridge.html while in a highly probable case 10 wTDP are to much the T734 4th gen offer a 4 physical core 8logical Core i7-4702MQ at the same 37 watts ofthe other i5/i7 4xxxM dual physical core- 4 logical standard configurations) . Comparison bench: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2220&cmp[]=1888&cmp[]=1939)
    What do yuo suggest?
    In your opionion could be possible/ have you ever heard about any cooling mods on them?
    Last question couldn't find any answer: Do they both support any RAID 0 or 1 confing?

Rondo60 likes this.
  9. NVKnivek

Express card also on the T734 is attracting for an eGPu. It underperforms the GPU card a lot but it's a give or take and frankly I don't think I'll be constrained to super high gpu power as I don't care about gaming and video editing migh be just occasional and short at least.

10. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know about in Europe, but here in the states I can't find any T734s for sale- can find T726 new and used, not sure about how much expandibilty they have though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.