Fujitsu LifeBook T902 vs. Lenovo ThinkPad X230T

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by nwagner23, Apr 12, 2013.

1. tolson4

tolson4 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also going into engineering in the fall, and this is one of the schools recommended pc's. I'm just wondering about the quality of the digitizer on the computer. I'll mostly be using the pen to take notes, maybe do technical drawings, and was wondering if the pen actually works like real pencil and paper

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No matter how good of quality the wacom digitizer or any other brand is, it will not be like pen and paper. If you've never used an active digitizer before, it will take some getting used to. It will certainly be easier than taking notes with a passive digitizer (like a jot pen on the ipad) but must be viewed as different.
    I use it with the same ease and familiarity as I do pen and paper now, but that is because I've gotten used to it and my brain knows what to expect and how to use it... as do most people after a time with it.
    ThatComicsGuy put it well in another post somewhere recently when he summed it up with something along the lines of: It's a EMR pointy thing you use on a screen, and it behaves like a EMR pointy thing on a screen.
    I think of the pen as an ergonomic and more natural alternative to a mouse.

It can be very rewarding to learn though and is honestly pretty quick and easy to become comfortable with for most people. With pressure sensitivity, the ability to use toothier screen protectors and felt nibs, you can sorta recreate pen on paper to a degree. You do learn to look at the cursor though, not the pen tip.

That all said, yes the T902 and X230t are both Wacom inside, and are capable of being very accurate and are top in their class. Many of us using them are professionals in our fields and need them to be precise and effective for design, animation, sketching and painting. My only concern would be running complex 3d CAD programs in engineering, such as Solidworks which may struggle with a lack of dedicated GPU.

3. tolson4

tolson4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a friend who's already got an older model from the same family, the t731 and I've tried it once or twice before (mainly just drawing lines tho, its pretty amazing the first time you actually use it), and I think it will take some getting used to, its just I've read bad things about the x230t's digitizer and that was what made me choose the t902. Also for the programs, the older model was able to run inventor fine, and I believe with anything more taxing on the CPU/RAM will more than likely be done at a lab during class. It will be a big switch for me I believe tho, currently I have an asus g75vw and the t902 is a big step down in terms of power. Looking at yours, it looks like you've upgraded it, I was planning on adding 16gb of RAM as well as an SSD at some point, so my question is what are your windows experience index scores, and the performance increase you may have noticed after adding those?

4. andya147

andya147 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi stoneseeker yes i should really ..i tend to get something then sell it on ...i like to try what is about but nowadays things are about making a machine as cheap as possible for profit ...years ago things were made to last
    build quality was allways good ..if you want the quality like the t902 you have to pay ....thats life..i was tempted to do a review of all the devices but time is a problem ,but i will try and do a review i think ..give people a good idea of the limitations and advantages of some machines .....recently ive sold my zeiss lenses and allso all my camera gear and have moved onto a sigma dp2 merrill and couldnt be happier so that combined with say the t902 is a great setup ..was sick of carrying lenses and bags everywere

5. stoneseeker

Windows 7, my WEI is: 6.5

Processor: 7.2
    Ram: 7.6
    graphics: 6.5
    gaming graphics: 6.5
    Primary disk: 7.9

I never used it without my ram or SSD in it for long, so I don't know how big an improvement it was. But I can say the processor, ram and SSD are much faster than my previous desktop, which wasn't terribly old and was built for animating. I think your Asus was only more powerful in the graphics department, but you shouldn't notice slowdown anywhere else if you add the ram and SSD.
    I'm sure you'll get along fine with the T902 for most things. I'm a power user and find it more than enough most of the time. I once ran out of ram editing in After Effects though!! I actually have to have a large pagefile setup still despite all that ram to prevent it! Video editing is silly hard on a system.

6. tolson4

tolson4 Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right that isn't much of a big step down except in the graphics department, but I guess that can be expected when switching from something that has a dedicated gaming GPU. I think I've pretty much decided on the t902, have you guys had any experience with screen protectors for the pc, like certain brands that would be better suited for using the pen and not interfering with its performance. It's an expensive computer, and I'd like to protect it however i can.

7. stoneseeker

photodon is what I use. It may interfere a bit with touch response, but never with the pen.

8. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

By August or September , I would assume Fujitsu would release their Haswell version of the T902.

9. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

You should be able to get the T902 brand new from Newegg ( USA site) for $1,429.99 if you use the new customer coupon that's made for laptops.

Edit: As of 5/26/2013