Fujitsu LifeBook T902 vs. Lenovo ThinkPad X230T

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by nwagner23, Apr 12, 2013.

1. nwagner23

nwagner23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I will be going to college this fall and will be studying mechanical engineering. I think that a tablet PC will be the best option for me, but I am stuck on which one to get out of these two. I priced out the ThinkPad with all the option I want. Here they are:

Description
    ThinkPad X230 Tablet - 1 Year Depot Warranty
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
    Operating System Language: Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
    Windows XP Mode: Windows 7 XP Mode - English
    Display Type: 12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    System Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    Total Memory: 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
    Keyboard: Keyboard Backlit - US English
    Pointing Device: UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
    Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
    Camera: 720p HD Camera
    Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Mobile Media Base: ThinkPad Series 3 UltraBase
    Media Base Bay Devices: DVD Recordable
    Battery: 6 Cell ThinkPad Battery X67+
    Power Cord: 65W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
    Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
    Integrated Mobile Broadband: Mobile Broadband upgradable
    Language Pack: Publication - US English
    Microsoft Productivity Software Preload: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (North America) - English

Accessories and options:
    1YR Onsite Next Business Day + Accidental Damage Protection - Tablet
    ThinkPad Laser Bluetooth mouse

And for the LifeBook, here is what I picked for that:

LIFEBOOK T902,
    CORE i5-3320M,
    13.3HD+,
    4GBX1,
    500GB(7200RPM)
    SATA HDD,
    DVD-RW,
    NON WWAN,
    INTEL WLAN(ABGN),
    BT,
    6CELL BATT,
    72WH,
    3YR,US KB,
    WIN7PRO(64-BIT)MUI,DG,vPRO,FHD
    WEBCAM,2 PIN AC (BTHK430000BAACMC)

I have done some research but am still not completely sure which one I should get. I am looking to purchase one soon so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to learn as much about both of them as I can. Thanks for the help!

2. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

depending on you course required programs, you may want a pc with dedicated graphics for more intensive 3d rendering, which neither of those have. I think the t901 had a better graphics card, but you will have to have its older generation hardware. since you wont be in school till the fall, i really recomend waiting till after June when intel is planning to release their haswell chips. they are supposed to be better on power consumption plus have far better graphics than the current i series processors.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What are your needs? What software will you be running on this thing at school?
    The HD4000 in the X230t will handle 3D a little better as it doesn't throttle due to (I think) better cooling. It may also be just a BIOS setting causing the throttling, but the T902 does get pretty hot inside.
    If your just looking to take notes and don't need the T902's bigger higher res screen, I might actually favor the much cheaper X230t. Both are far more powerful than any of the other tabletPC's on the market aside from the modbook pro.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What about the Fujitsu T732? It is a 12.5in variant of the T902(though has the same res and the lenovo). It still comes with a optical drive that can be swapped for another battery, which is nice advantage over the X230t.

5. nwagner23

I'm not completely sure about which software I will be running but I'm assuming it will be things like solidworks or inventor.

6. stoneseeker

I completely forget about the T732, in a lot of ways it is more closely competing with the x230t. And yeah, the modular bay is super awesome. Do all the configurations of the T732 come with an IPS display? Or is their still a cheaper TN option like the older T7xx series..?

7. stoneseeker

Solidworks is also quite CPU and ram heavy, according to a lot of the peeps who use it often. HD4000 should suffice for basic stuff in solidworks while away from a powerful desktop. But your still gonna want that powerful desktop if your gonna be working on huge files. If your really wanting the most powerful solution possible for away from a workstation, go with the i7 in the X230t. It will offer a bit more performance than the i3 CPU in the T732. Toss your own 16 gigs of ram in it (it only costs $80) so you don't run out of memory while running intense software.

If you want to make this your only work machine, and it needs to do hardcore 3D work, it can't be a tabletPC. There just isn't good enough integrated GPU's available in these ultraportable machines. The T901 and older HP TM2 had optional GPU's but they are not much improvement over the HD4000, they would be a bit more stable and reliable, but that's it.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am not sure, I think all of them are IPS now, including the base model with just pen input. Also there is an i7 option for the T732 if i am not mistaken.

9. nwagner23

How easy is it to install your own RAM? Should I go with the 4gigs and then upgrade it to 16 myself? There will be desktops available that I can use also if I need to so that shouldn't be a problem. The reason I looked at the 902 is because the screen is a bit bigger. What are your opinions about the build quality of the two. I want to get the best computer for my money.

10. stoneseeker

Its so easy to install your own ram, it would be very ill-advised to order it with any more than the bare minimum.

If you want the best for your money, go for the T902. I'm sure the build quality in the smaller t732 is fine too, but the T902 is one of the best tabletpc's on the market, has a much nicer screen (larger and higher resolution than the other powerful convertibles) and is beautiful to use. It has a few things here and there that I wish I could change, but I would find that with any device. Go lurk the Fujitsu section a bit more and search T902 so you are aware of what kind of problems some have experienced, but I assure you, you won't find a better solution for a tabletPC for art-related work.

11. nwagner23

By art do you mean engineering drawings and design stuff? And here's my other problem. None of the store around me have any of these tablets in their store so I can't see them in person before I buy them. Why do you think I should do because of that?

12. nwagner23

Also, where should I buy more RAM to install myself?

13. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

RAM can be bought on eBay; many sellers are not small-time individuals trying to move used hardware; Memory and batteries are often placed on eBay by professional retailers, they just use eBay as their shopfront.

I've also bought RAM from retailers who specialize in memory and which have on-line webpage shop fronts with tons of information and options for every laptop in existence; I'd probably go for that option in your case.

As for trying out a Tablet PC. . .

I don't have a bricks and mortar seller around here either, so I originally bought a super-cheap used machine on eBay just to try out the technology. (I liked it so much, I ended up just using that model and not bothering to look much further. It was an old Toshiba M200. I ended up buying a year later it's big brother, the Tecra M4, also on eBay).

The other option is to go to a big box store which sells modern slates; often they'll have one or two with the Wacom enabled stylus tech, like the Samsung Series 7 Slate, which I was able to try in the store. That will give you an idea as to how the stylus works, but in the end, you'll probably have to buy your preferred model blind. The good thing is that the Wacom enabled technology works essentially the same for all models, so the experience you have on one will let you know what to expect on all others. Then you can just shop on line based on specs and reviews of the rest of the hardware.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  14. stoneseeker

yeah, you would never see the T902 in a store. Its very niche, and not made in massive quantities unless a corporation orders massive quantities. It's simply not a "consumer" device. These boards are the best way to ensure your not going in "blind" into your purchase.

For RAM, I used newegg.com, cause its so cheap and you want to find a specific speed and size for the T902 that may be difficult to find otherwise.

By art, I mean ANY kind of graphics intensive work, be it drawing, painting, sculpting, designing, animating. I consider it best because it offers the most powerful solution in the highest res/largest screen possible. The least compromise for a mobile professional. More screen real estate to work on , and less time waiting on lag. This computer with a SSD and 16 gigs ram is comparable to a fast modern desktop, so it flies. When I'm animating, this means a lot. When your designing for engineering, it will be the best you can have at your disposal.

Your other option (which may in fact save you money too) would be to go with a powerful quad-core 13-15" laptop with a dedicated GPU that you know will handle the CAD files well, and pick up a small intuos graphics tablet for when your on the go, and maybe look into a Yiynova 19" cintiq-like monitor to plug into it when your at home if you still want to draw on-screen. I think if I were relying heavily on intense 3D, this is the route I would take.

15. nwagner23

Ok so what I'm getting from you guys is that I should probably go with the T902. How do I know what kind of RAM I need to get? (I am new to this whole adding memory and upgrading your computer by yourself kind of stuff.) And as far as a separate tablet and laptop, the whole point of me wanting to get a convertible is so I can keep every thing on one computer (eg. notes, papers, CAD files). Thanks for the other ways I can go, but I think I will stick with the convertible route.

16. stoneseeker

Have you looked at computerupgradeking's ebay store? They sell T902's all souped up at really good prices sometimes. Alternatively if your in the states you can snag the T902 from newegg, and order it at the same time as a couple sticks of ram, and a large SSD. (256gig -512 are good sizes) you will need the ram to match these specs: 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 upgrades for Fujitsu LifeBook T902 Laptop/Notebook, CT3396149 from Crucial.com

Do you need the pen? Are you familiar with using a pen on screen? I am just wondering, because if all you need is touch or if you won't be using it for precise drawing per-se, there may be other less expensive options with a screen as large. Also, if pressure sensitivity in wintab programs like photoshop is not important you could look at Ntrig as well.

I guess I'm wondering how you got to the place where you narrowed it down to the X230t and the T902. Is it just the need for full voltage processors?

17. nwagner23

Yes I will need the pen. As I said before I will be going to college in the fall and want to take my notes and do things of that type on here so I have less papers to deal with. And I just looked at different tablets and these two seem to be the best and most recommended. I am not a computer whiz so what is a full voltage processor?

18. nwagner23

What is the difference between a standard hard drive and an SSD hard drive?

19. stoneseeker

A full voltage processor, like the one found in the X230t and the T902 is the same kind of processor you would find in a regular laptop. It can consume up to around 35 watts - 45watts and is relatively powerful but will obviously consume batteries quicker (although intel's built in speedstep certainly helps save it when it can)
    Most tabletPC's and ultrabooks use a sort of down-clocked CPU that consumes less power and is ideal for smaller devices with smaller batteries and a need for portability over power. These are called ULV's, or ultra low voltage. They typically have a max around 17 watt and can get a bit over that temporarily in turbo.

In demanding software it's nice to have the full voltage processor, it can run complicated computing tasks faster without lag at the price of consuming more power of course. In the same way a desktop has a ton more power consumption and power. Or a quad core mobile CPU like those found in gaming laptops.

a standard HDD has the ole spinning drive and a lightning fast little arm that reads and writes to physical locations on the hard drive. It is slower, older, but considered reliable and the cheapest way to get large storage. An SSD is like crack cocaine for computers, it's near instant read and write (it feels instant, of course its not) on SOLID STATE memory is what makes it special. Fast, no moving parts which is a plus for mobile devices, and getting almost as reliable in recent years. It's at least twice as expensive though. Seriously worth it. Your computer will boot from cold in 13 seconds or so.

20. nwagner23

I think for now I will just go with the HDD drive and then maybe upgrade later. I also saw that the t902 doesn't come with the i7 processor but the x230t does. Is that a big deal? What does that mean in terms of performance?