Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 Tablet PC Review (Video)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Tiffany Boggs, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 Tablet PC Review

Fujitsu has made many users happy with the release of their newest Tablet PC, the LifeBook T4220. The LifeBook T4220 steps in to take the place of its predecessor the LifeBook T4215. Both contain many of the same features, but the T4220 is built on the Santa Rosa platform. The T4220 is the perfect travel companion considering in only weighs a little over four pounds and its bi-directional hinge will definitely have heads turning.

[​IMG]
    Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 converting into tablet mode. (view large image)

The Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 Tablet PC specs as reviewed (tested price $2,099)

CPUIntel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz T7500
          OSWindows Vista Business
          RAM1GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM
          Display12.1" XGA active digitizer display with wide viewing angles and bi-directional hinge
          GraphicsIntel GM965 Express Chipset, GMA X3100 graphics
          AudioIntegrated speakers
          Hard Drive100GB S-ATA 150, 5400 rpm
          Optical DriveModular Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer
          I/O ports

3 x USB
            1 x VGA - 15 pin
            1 x Microphone-in
            1x Headphone 
            1 x Smart Card
            1 x SD Card
          Communications

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (802.11a/g/n)
            10/100/1000 Ethernet
            Multinational2 56K3 V.90 modem
            Bluetooth
          Dimensions/Weight

11.5" x 9.3" x 1.1/1.4"
            4.3lbs.

Battery/power6-cell (5200 mAh)

Design and Build

The T4220 has a solid chassis. Right off the bat I noticed how sturdy the design was and how there was no flex in the screen or wobbling from the hinge. The great thing about the hinge is that it is bi-directional as well, meaning users have the option of turning the screen both ways, which comes in handy for those presentations or meetings.

[​IMG]
                The T4220 in notebook mode. (view large image)

It may be a little on the heavy side for some users, weighing in around 4.3 pounds, but it's still small enough to take with you to class or on those business trips. I didn't have any problems carrying it around in Tablet mode and the display automatically changes once you rotate it. The matte black lid and silver accents around the keyboard are a nice touch that help hide those annoying fingerprints as well. Overall it has a very solid design that maintains a simplistic, but functional feel.

Display

The T4220 has one of the best displays I have seen and I have tested quite a few tablets. The 12.1" XGA screen has an active digitizer and wide viewing angles. The colors were bright and bold, I hardly noticed the graininess that comes standard with Tablet PCs. I mean the screen was almost comparable to your standard notebook.

The brightness can be adjusted to your liking, which helps save battery power and enhance viewing depending on your location like if you are outside in the sun or in your dimly lite theater room. If you plan on using the T4220 outside though, I would recommend spending the extra money for the indoor/outdoor display.

[​IMG]
                The T4220 in tablet mode. (view large image)

Processor and System Performance

The Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz processor has no problem running multiple applications. I didn't experience much lag during boot-up or while surfing the Web either. The T4220 I reviewed came with 1GB of memory, which handled Vista okay, but you can get up to 4GB if you are interested. It also had a 100GB (5400 rpm) hard drive, which leaves you plenty of space to store those media files or documents.

Comparison Results for PCMark05

PCMark05 measures the systems performance as a whole: The LifeBook T4220 takes home the gold in this competition with its 2.2GHz processor.

NotebookPCMark05 Score
                Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, GMA X3100 graphics)4,171 PCMarks
                Lenovo ThinkPad X61 (Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz, Intel GMA X3100 graphics)3,436 PCMarks
                Gateway E-155C (Intel Core 2 Duo ULV 1.06GHz, Intel GMA 950 graphics)2,205 PCMarks
                LG C1 (Intel Core Duo 1.2GHz, Nvidia Go 7300)2,568 PCMarks
                Toshiba R400 (Intel Core Duo ULV 1.2GHz, Intel GMA 950 graphics)2,187 PCMarks
                HP tx1000 (AMD Turion X2 2.0GHz, Nvidia Go 6150)3,052 PCMarks
                Asus R1F (1.66GHz Core Duo, Intel GMA 950 graphics)2,724 PCMarks
                Lenovo ThinkPad X60t (1.66GHz LV Core Duo)2,860 PCMarks
                Panasonic ToughBook T4 (Intel 1.20GHz LV)1,390 PCMarks
                Asus R2H (900MHz Celeron M)845 PCMarks
                Toshiba Tecra M6 (1.66GHz Intel T2300E, Intel GMA 950)2,732 PCMarks

Super Pi

In the below results of Super Pi, where the processor is timed in calculating Pi to 2 million digits:

NotebookTime to Calculate Pi to 2 Million Digits
                Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 (2.2GHz Core 2 Duo)54s
                Lenovo ThinkPad X61 (1.6GHz Core 2 Duo)1m 11s
                Gateway E-155C (1.06GHz ULV Core 2 Duo)1m 58s
                LG C1 (1.2GHz Intel Core Duo)1m 49s
                Toshiba R400 (1.2GHz ULV Core Duo)2m 10s
                Asus R1F (1.66GHz Core Duo)1m 20s
                Lenovo ThinkPad X60t (1.66GHz LV Core Duo)1m 24s
                IBM ThinkPad X41t (1.5GHz LV Pentium M)2m 02s
                HP TC4400 Tablet PC (2.0GHz Core Duo)1m 13s
                Dell Latitude X1 (1.1 GHz ULV Pentium M)2m 40s
                Dell Latitude D420 (1.06GHz Core Solo ULV)2m 11s
                Toshiba Portege M400 (1.83GHz Core Duo )1m 19s

Comparison Results for 3Dmark05

3DMark05 tests the overall graphic capabilities of a notebook, and overall the T4220 didn't do bad considering it has integrated graphics.

Notebook3D Mark 05 Results
                Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 (2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA X3100 graphics)925 3DMarks
                Lenovo ThinkPad X61 (1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA X3100 graphics)824 3Dmarks
                Gateway E-155C (1.06GHz ULV Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA 950)500 3DMarks
                LG C1 (1.2GHz Intel Core Duo, Nvidia Go 7300)1,392 3DMarks
                Fujitsu LifeBook S2210 (1.6GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52, ATI x1150)810 3DMarks
                PortableOne UX (2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA 950)590 3DMarks
                Toshiba Satellite A135 (1.73GHz Core Duo, Intel GMA 950)519 3D Marks
                Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (2.0GHz Core Duo, ATI X1400 128MB)2,092 3D Marks
                Fujitsu n6410 (1.66 GHz Core Duo, ATI X1400 128MB)2,273 3DMarks

HDTune Results

Below are the results from running the HD Tune benchmark that tests hard drive performance:

[​IMG]

Keyboard/Touchpad/Pen

The keyboard is white which looks nice, but doesn't hide dirt very well. It is full size and none of the keys are shortened except for the Fn key. I like that the keys are flat because it makes less noise when tying, but there is a good amount of flex. I don't like that the keyboard feels mushy under heavy usage, but some users may like their keyboards not as stiff. The numbers and letters on the keys are bigger than my Asus R1, which I must say makes it very easy to read.

[​IMG]
                The T4220 keyboard. (view large image)

The touchpad was responsive. It has a nice feel to it as well. It isn't all smooth and slick feeling, in fact it has a textured feel to it, which helps keep you finger in place. Besides that there is nothing too fancy about it. It is of normal size for the keyboard and it does its job. The right and left click buttons didn't give me any problems either.

[​IMG]
                The T4220 pen on top and the X61 pen on the bottom. (view large image)

The pen worked great. You can program your own pen flicks for shortcuts and regularly used programs. It is much like the pen on the Lenovo X61, which I liked as well. It is made of hard plastic, so it feels durable and it's easy to write with since it is the size of a standard ink pen. The silo is on the side of the screen too, which is very convenient and kind of a Fujitsu trademark.

Tablet PC Features

The T4220 has a great display even in tablet mode, so users will enjoy taking notes on it. The bi-directional hinge is solid, gives great viewing angles and helps convert into tablet mode in seconds. The screen locks into place once in tablet mode and it automatically changes orientation. You can also change the screen's orientation yourself with a push of a button. The tablet shortcut buttons also come in handy when you are using the tablet as a slate.

[​IMG]
                The bi-directional hinge. (view large image)
                [​IMG]
                The display window. (view large image)

Although, the T4220 isn't a touchscreen like the Lenovo X61, it does have Wacom. The pen is accurate and your screen doesn't get full of fingerprints this way. I had no problems carrying the T4220 in tablet mode, but I liked working with it in notebook mode as well since the screen can be turned both ways. It also has a neat digital display window that shows what is going on with your tablet, like the battery power, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and more.

Video

Check out our hands-on video of the LifeBook T4220 below:

<object height='350' width='425'><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLNCoWALOCY" /><embed height='350' src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GLNCoWALOCY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width='425' /></object>&#160;

Ports

The T4220 has a nice array of ports including three USB ports, one VGA-15 pin, one microphone and one headphone (both conveniently located on the front), an Infrared eye, a Modem port, power jack, a Smart card slot, an SD card slot and an expansion slot on the bottom for a docking station.

[​IMG]
                Front view of the T4220. (view large image)

[​IMG]
                Right side view of the ports. (view large image)

[​IMG]
                Left side view of the ports. (view large image)

[​IMG]
                Back view of the T4220. (view large image)

[​IMG]
                Under side view of the T4220. (view large image)

Battery

The T4220 I reviewed came with a 6-cell battery. I have to say it really impressed me. It lasted a good four hours in balanced mode, which is your standard default setting. In high performance mode it only lasted about three hours, but if you put it in power saver, you can get close to five and a half hours. It fully recharges itself in about an hour as well, so you don't have much down time.

Heat and Noise

The T4220 produced a good amount of heat when running the benchmark tests, but besides that not much. During normal (surfing the Web) usage the heat was hardly noticeable and it does have some nice suede patches on the bottom to reduce the heat on your lap. It wasn't very noisy either, but it did make some noise when running the benchmarks. I mean the fan sounded like a hair-dryer on low. Besides that though, the fan didn't kick on much.

Speakers

The speakers have decent sound quality for a tablet. I like that they are located on the front of the T4220 as well. This way you still get clear sound when working in tablet mode.

They aren't entertainment oriented like the HP tx1000's Altec Lansing speakers, but they do put out clear sound and I enjoyed rocking out to them. Not much bass though, but the sound does stay crisp at louder volumes, which I wasn't expecting since most tablet speakers usually get distorted.

[​IMG]
                The LifeBook T4220 on the left and the Lenovo X61 on the right. (view large image)

Software

The T4220 didn't come with much bloatware. It did have Norton, but don't they all. Microsoft Office wasn't included or any other trial programs, but it did have Picasa2 for those of you who are interested in photography. It also has EverNote Plus, which is great for taking notes and staying organized. If there is any programs you don't want, it just takes a few minutes to uninstall them.

Wireless

The T4220 has Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (802.11a/g/n). I connected to my office's wireless with no problems. In fact the Intel Wireless was fast and responsive. I also connected to the wireless at my house with no problems. The Bluetooth comes in handy for those users who may want to use a wireless mouse or any other wireless device.

Conclusion

The LifeBook T4220 is an impressive notebook. As I mentioned earlier the display is bold and clear and it has great viewing angles thanks to the bi-directional hinge. The chassis is solid and there is no wobble from the screen. The design is kind of plain-Jane, but it out-performs many of its contenders, which the benchmarks prove. The keyboard showed a lot of flex, which I am not a fan of. I would rather have a solid keyboard with stiffer keys. Overall the T4220 is a durable tablet that can be used anywhere. It's great for note-taking or office work because it isn't too heavy and it has Wacom.

Pros

Solid chassis
                  Bi-directional hinge
                  Great Display with bold, crisp, vivid colors
                  Full sized pen with eraser writes like your standard ink pen

&#160;

Cons

Keyboard has a lot of flex
                    Pen can be awkward to get out of silo

Pricing and Availability

The LifeBook T4220 can be purchased directly through Fujitsu, where you can also customize it to your liking. Many other retailers are carrying it as well.

&#160;

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
        • SgtDirtbag

SgtDirtbag Scribbler - Standard Member

• Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

No the photo doesn't do the screen justice. The T4220 has a much better screen. It doesn't look washed out like the X61 does and it has much brighter and bolder colors.

It looks less grainy and if you set it to the highest brightness setting, it's almost comparable to your standard notebook. I don't think the screen was set to highest brightness setting for the picture either. Sorry about that, but in person it is much more crisp and clear. I think the X61 being black helps contrast the screen too.

• trev

trev Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice review, I was considering this tablet, but...

Even though they claim to offer the sxga screen I can't find it in any config online. Why are fujitsu shooting themselves in the foot? That was one of the key selling points of its predecessor.

• SgtDirtbag

SgtDirtbag Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the fast response Tiffany. : )
          So, if I wanted to utilize a TabletPC for image editing/drawing in general you would recommend the T4220 over the X61?
          I'd REALLY love to see some more screen comparisons between the two. *hint hint* ; )

@trev: sucks, doesn't it? From what I've read there's a shortage because it's cheaper for TFT manufacturers to build 30" and bigger tv screens, than sxga laptop displays. : /

• jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

Dangbladdit, if only this thing had an ExpressCard slot, I'd be buying one right away. I love everything else about this, but ExpressCard is a show stopper. *dismayed sigh* Fujitsu, I beg you, ple-e-e-e-ease add an expresscard slot to your tablet PCs one of these generations.

• Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

That and the fact that they replaced the firewire seen on older T4000 models with a SECOND lock.

• g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

if only it were cheaper, with a zero-flex keyboard like x61, and maybe a touch screen (which I actually really like)...
          I would have gone for it instead of x61t :p
          But nothing in this world is perfect, isn' it :p

• queshy

queshy Pen Pal - Newbie

nice review! so on which tablet (T4220 or x61) is the inking experience better?

• P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have no flex whatsoever on any of my T Series machines g2tl.
          Is there any particular area where you consider it to be worse?

I can't compare it against the x61 but I can the x60 against the T4210.
          The T4210 won hands down and that was using XP Tablet Ed on both.