Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 for digital painting?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AsraiLight

AsraiLight Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read some great threads here and elsewhere about the best tablets for art...thank you for the great information!

In my research, the new Fujitsu Lifebook looks really appealing, but I haven't seen any reviews of it regarding its use for digital painting or 3D. I mainly use Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Expression, and Poser 7 - although I'd like to work more with Maya and Zbrush. Running 3D apps smoothly isn't a necessity, I can still use my desktop for that, but it would be nice.

I've also looked at the Gateway and HP brands, but I'm not a big fan of the customer service from those companies.

These are the features about the Lifebook that appeal most to me:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
    Windows Vista (which I understand works much better with Wacom Penable technology?)
    Bi-directional swivel screen
    Sturdy chassis
    Light weight (just over 4lbs)
    Vibrant colors (at least for the XGA monitor)
    It seemed to do really well in the benchmarking tests
    Fairly long battery life

Things I don't like so much:

Seems more geared for left-handed people (I'm right-handed)
    If I understand the sticky right, the resolution on XGA won't go above 1024x768?

I'm wondering how the screen is for inking, how accurate the colors are, and how the bevel is for ease of use (does it get in the way?). Also, what are people's opinions of the screen size of 12.1"?

If anyone owns or has played with a Lifebook, any info would be great, even from owners who don't use it for art. Thanks so much!

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You might want to get this unit straight from Fujitsu.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4220

You can still customize it with SXGA+ LCD. You might want to hurry though, since it says "limited availability" for the SXGA+ option.

I personally have found that the XGA resolution is too constricting and cumbersome in dealing with all the tools and palettes that programs like Painter needs for decent work flow. Even though you can quickly hide them with the TAB key, when you have them up, I don't want to go through the sub menus in accessing the ones I need.

This was the main reason why I upgraded from my R15 (XGA: 1024x768) to R25 (WSXGA: 1440x900) last year. I couldn't possibly go back and I even find WXGA screens (1280x768 or 1280x800) too constricting now.

As for the screen size, 12.1 is personally a bit too small for me, but many find it fine. The good thing is that the T4220 has a bezel free design, so your pen won't get snagged at the end of the screen.

I hope that helps.