Fujitsu Lifebook P727

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Fujitsus don't have WLAN whitelist to my knowledge, so for some it may be a good idea to get 18260/18265 with corresponding antenna and use WiGiG dock instead.

2. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Pen Pal - Newbie

However the RAM on X20W is soldered whereas P727 uses SO-DIMM under a convenient maintenance hatch; this could be an important factor to consider, since both manufacturers charge a huge premium for the model with 16GB of RAM ex-factory. Toshiba equip theirs with DDR3L, while Fujitsu's is of DDR4 variety.

According to the review by Notebookcheck, the display on X20W is crazy good while the keyboard is only so-so; I'm waiting for them to review the P727 as it could potentially have a better keyboard with more travel (since the chassis is thicker). The display on the Fujitsu is unlikely to reach the rather ludicrous contrast the X20W sports, thought.

These 2 machines are priced about the same in Europe, both going for around 1600-1700€ for the model with i5-7200U/8GB/256GB; neither supports PCI-E NVMe SSDs, as far as I can tell.

3. Starlight5

@Critical Observer according to datasheet, FHD display is rated at 1000:1 300cd/m2. Brightness is somewhat underwhelming, however it may actually be higher than rated - we'll see once the machine is reviewed.

4. Critical Observer

Yeah, waiting for that review with bated breath; however, it's rather unnerving that P727 is not even mentioned on Notebookcheck's list of "upcoming reviews".

If the keyboard is as good as on U7X7 and if the battery runtime and the display quality approach that of X20W's, this machine could really hit the jackpot.

5. serversanjoe

serversanjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know is there any online site can order the P727 with LTE option?
    Or can we add the LTE card by ourselves?

I want to get one which support LTE but the US site is not selling that. Thanks.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Contact Fujitsu, if it's not on their website then nobody else has it either.

Lenovo offers the Yoga 260 with LTE for $500 less than the equivalent P727 without LTE, barring the 6th-gen vs 7th-gen processor.

7. Starlight5

FWIW Thinkpad Yoga 260 (and 370, for that matter) with factory-installed LTE module has different motherboard revision with soldered RAM instead of upgradeable slot. So, if you want 16GB RAM and LTE, buy a model with SIM slot (and antennas, if possible) yet without WWAN module, and upgrade it yourself. The only compatible module is Lenovo-branded Sierra Wireless EM7455 FRU 00JT547.

I have experience upgrading WWAN-ready Fujitsu T734 - it required leaked DMI tool to recognize the WWAN despite the fact I used Fujitsu-branded modem with correct part number. Even if the WWAN slot is present in non-WWAN models - there may be some BIOS/DMI lock which you won't be able to circumvent yourself; the leaked tools are old, they won't work for latest models.

8. Critical Observer

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Starlight5 and ATIVQ like this.
  9. Starlight5

The display is actually not too bad... But battery life is indeed ridiculous! P727 is beaten in all regards even by older Thinkpad Yoga 260 - not to mention current-gen competitors like X20W, TPY 370 & Elitebook X360.

Critical Observer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.