Fujitsu Announces Stylistic t904, Q704, and q584

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by testplayer, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

2. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

If you have a very huge and long page full of ink notes, then it will be CPU intensive. Actually, it will freeze the onenote program for more than 10 seconds (if not ~1 minute) whenever I tried to modify or write new ink notes on that huge page (mine is old samsung series 7 slate, which has an old core i5-2467M). I even tried that on a mobile workstation which has quad core i7-2960XM, it won't freeze, but it will trigger the CPU fan, so it is really CPU intensive.

3. Anvi

Anvi Pen Pal - Newbie

Still no Q704 retail availability in EU. Does anyone know of a similar sized (preferably cheaper) hybrid tablet with Wacom digitizer?

4. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

I managed to get the full specification for this model from Fujitsu here in Sweden (with the reservation that there might be changes to the specification since production isn't up and running yet).

S26391-K395-V100 LIFEBOOK T904 1

Base unit with 33.8cm (13.3") TFT wide-view bright WQHD IGZO Display with hardened glass and magnesium cover, Wacom® Dual digitizer for pen input plus capacitive multi-touch screen, Intel® 4th generation CPU with integrated chipset (single-chip solution) , supports maximum 8GB Sinle Channel DDR3 1600MHz PC12800 RAM (1 DIMM slots). User exchangeable battery, mobile Intel® HD 4400 integrated graphics, S-ATA III Interface for internal HDD, 10/100/1000 MBit Intel® LAN, Intel® HD Audio, 2 digital microphones and 2 loudspeakers integrated, touchpad, ambient-light sensor, G-Sensor, Fingerprint Sensor und Smartcard optional (SmartAccess Fingerprint & Security Software), LED status indicators, LED hinge rotation indicators, application buttons, Kensington Lock, Fujitsu Recovery (Hard Disk Based Recovery). Interfaces: Smart Card reader slot, SD Card reader, HDMI 1.4a, 2x bootable USB 3.0 (1x with off-charge function), RJ45 for LAN, optional SIM-Card Reader for UMTS/LTE, audio in (line-in, microphone), audio out (line-out, headphones), port replicator connector. Tablet pen, pen tether, cleaning cloth, notebook case. Please do not forget to configure the AC Adapter and AC Cable extra. A 4cell battery is already included in the unit but you can configure an additional battery. Info: vPro logo requires Intel Core i5-43xx / i7 46xx CPU, Intel 7260 a/b/g/n W-LAN & TPM module

Standard warranty:
    2 year, Collect & Return Service, 5 days / 9 hours (9x5, local business hours), global / Fujitsu or auth. Servicepartner

S26391-F1320-E100 33,8 cm (13.3') WQHD Touch Glare
    S26391-F1321-E460 Intel Core i7-4600U up to 3.3GHz 4MB
    S26391-F1322-E800 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    S26391-F1323-E830 SSD SATA 256GB non-FDE
    S26391-F1325-E210 "Intel Wireless-N7260 a/b/g/n incl. BT"
    S26391-F1325-E530 LTE Sierra Wireless EM7305
    S26391-F1320-E520 FHD Camera & 2x digital mic
    S26391-F1329-E110 Fingerprint
    S26391-F1329-E200 TPM Module
    S26391-F1329-E310 SmartCard Slot
    S26391-F1328-E200 Country Kit Int
    S26391-F1246-E500 3pin AC Adapter 19V/65W slim and light
    S26391-F1326-E100 4cell, 45Wh Removable Battery
    S26391-F878-E310 3-pin Power cable EU
    S26391-F1278-E246 Keyboard black* w/ Backlit* NORD
    S26391-F1800-E802 DU-DVD (Win8+Win8.1) LIFEBOOK/ST 2013
    S26391-F1800-E100 License - Windows 8.1 Pro
    S26391-F1800-E201 Load Win8.1 Pro (64) NEE+Office2013
    S26391-F1800-E302 OS RDVD Windows 8.1 Pro (64) ​

Looks really sweet if you ask me!

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd put it in the realm of only mildly CPU intensive. I haven't tested this, but it's quite likely that all you need is a short burst of single thread performance. Something even a ULV can do with its short turbo mode. Short turbo is basically a mode where the CPU is allowed to exceed its TDP for a very short period of time to "get the job done more quickly". It doesn't use that much more power and it actually doesn't generate that much heat given that the time spent in short turbo is quite low. To me CPU intensive is more along the lines of using at least as many threads as you have physical cores (2 or more) and for a rather more extended period of time. If all you need is short bursts of performance, then yes, a ULV CPU will do the job.

We all have our definitions of CPU intensive and I maybe should have clarified that.

I realize that I may have been rather harsh in my criticism of the T904 earlier in this thread, but it was past midnight and seeing the power users neglected always irks me a bit. I'm not saying that everything should be geared towards power users, but right now I get the feeling of the reverse trend. Everything towards as thin and light as possible at the cost of performance and screw the power users. Obviously that is not the case where mobile workstations are concerned, but they do not come with digitizers. I will stay with the dual device solution for some time it seems.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The answer to that question would depend on how you'd use the device the most often. Personally, I'd gun for a detachable, but that is because I already sport multiple laptops with good keyboards and I'd use the device as a tablet more often. If I were to use it primarily as a laptop, swivel all the way. I'm only considering the form factor by use case here and not taking into account other variables such as performance, etc.

If I'm going to use primarily as a laptop though, the keyboard will have to be good as in business class notebook good. I'm thinking of HP Elitebooks, Dell Latitudes and of course Thinkpad keyboards which all have a better feel to them than the keyboards on most consumer notebooks. I'm not sure where Fuji stands as far as the keyboard is concerned.

Also, you will not find the perfect device, just get the one that fits your use cases best. Or the ones if you have the budget. Given that you are a chemical engineering undergrad IIRC, budget might be an issue. Get something with decent processing performance, it doesn't have to be top of the line, I did most of my undergrad years on a pentium M laptop back in 2005-2009. Switched to a core 2 duo in my last year of my bacchelor (in chemical engineering by the way).

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Swivel - the most practical solution for notebook-like devices. Hard to get right. I think the T904 got it right.
    Hybrid - the most practical solution for more tablet-like devices. Fairly easy to get right.
    Fold - the worst solution, but probably the easiest to implement. Leaves the keyboard exposed when in use, highly undesirable.
    Pivot - okay solution, hard to get right, needs to lie flat on the surface and not flex.
    Slider - okay solution. Leaves the screen exposed when not in use, slightly undesirable.
    Dual screen - okay solution, probably a nightmare to implement though.

JoeS likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

couldn't agree more. This sums it up perfectly.

findichgut likes this.
  9. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with ATIVQ's key points. I second the swivel as the most practical convertible mechanism. Not sure what category you would put Sony Flip in as the screen is not exposed when closed in clamshell mode. The Sony Flip is workable although its a bit of a wrestling match to get the screen to transform sometimes.

I carried a Gateway C-140 tablet pc for almost 5 years as my primary computer. It has the swivel. I used it as my main workstation machine with docks and external monitors non-stop, moving it every day from home to office and all kinds of travel. At the moment I'm using a Samsung 700t while I wait for either the t904 or a more stable Flip 15. I like my Samsung Slate with a bluetooth keyboard once its all set up (keyboard out and on, ...). Great for Photoshop or any type of mobile office work. The problem is that its too easy to leave the keyboard in another room. It starts to get very fussy keeping track of all the parts (keyboard, mouse, stylus) even though I have a high tolerance for gizmos.

The swivel is a great all purpose mechanism. IMO its the right way to do a convertible. My Gateway hinge NEVER failed and that machine has logged many thousands of hard miles. The gateway was also a 7 lb beast so the 904 should be a delight to use in tablet mode. The swivel has some other minor advantages of being able to precisely position the screen for best viewing angle which is sometimes not straight on if there are reflections or prying eyes (airplanes). Its also very natural to spin the screen around to show others without having to pick the device up and do some kind of origami with it.

Zeelobby likes this.
  10. YakaDaka

YakaDaka Pen Pal - Newbie

So, scattered over the pages of the thread are possible release dates for Europe. Is there any idea of a release date for the USA? I just don't understand why some of these companies wait until last minute to state when something is coming out. In any case, this is the perfect 13'' wacom convertible many of us have been waiting for. I don't even care at this point that I am probably spending 400 dollars more simply due to where it was built. I really hope that the problems plagueing the q584 and q704 don't occur with this one. It seems so far that literally every recent alternative has issues which make it a risk to buy at this point.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.