Fujitsu Announces Stylistic t904, Q704, and q584

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by testplayer, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

The Q584 needs to be about half its price, it is still an Atom level processor where most other manufacturers using similar are about half the price and suggest longer battery life too.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

It's hard to believe, but 1366x768 is the most popular resolution, and its popularity is rising. Too cramped for me, but I guess the general audience cares very little about their display, or they want the text to be as big as possible without adjusting any settings.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It isn't meant to be a general consumer device. If a business can save enough time to reduce the number of prototypes needed for product testing then the money saved equals the amount of the cost of the saved prototypes. When offsets like his are taken into perspective the cost of the device becomes irrelevant.

It is intended to the sold to small, medium, and large business to save them time (and money) not consumers.

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The processor is not the only consideration here, it's not even the main consideration. What manufacturers are offering semi-rugged (submersible!) Windows 8.1 Pro 2560x1600-pixel-display tablets for $400?

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes but, throw a couple of options on there and then price a Surface 2 Pro with a vastly faster processor. I had forgotten about the resolution and environment sealing, so that indeed is worth some money. But if your business doesn't need either of those, Surface 2 Pro starts to look a lot better. I own a few Fujitsu tablets, so please don't think that I'm anti Fujitsu, they make some great stuff. I go all the way back to my still functional LT-C500, that says a lot about how well they last, but that was also in the days of no competition, who else was making main stream tablets back then? Now there are what, about 5 or 6 manufacturers making business class tablets and many of those sport faster CPU and ability to buy it with more RAM, and still claim a nice long battery, and most are offering these at the same price or slightly lower. The high resolution doesn't mean that much to most business people unless it has some serious CPU behind it too, think video/cinema production. The Atom with 2.5k display is just not going to cut it for serious photo or video work, even spreadsheets might be a bit laggy when that large.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

They don't target consumers with any of these high end devices as has been said previously, but they do have a consumer line of laptops and touchscreen ultrabooks they sell at more moderate prices to consumers. Just not nearly as functional and awesome as these higher end models we are mostly interested in. It's true the specs-per-dollar are way higher with Fuji than any other manufacturer though. Even high end business line HP, Lenovo and Sony don't price there stuff quite as high as the Fuji upper echelon. many of the HP series were semi-ruggedized too. Panasonic is the only manufacturer I can think of that's pricing tops even that of Fuji, but their fully rugged tablets are just that, fully rugged.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, I don't consider you anti-Fujitsu and I believe their stuff is overpriced as well for what most consumers want to use their devices for. However, until recently the Surface Pro did not have a dock so it was not really business class and, as a result, out of contention. There are other things that make the Surface Pro not a good business class machine as well. If using a device outside to manage inventory, shipping, or vehicle fleets it needs an outside screen, water and dustproof, able to take a drop, have a hand strap or bump case, and (ideally) an interchangeable battery to last all day on your feet (where the Q584 lacks now unless they think the main battery lasts long enough on its own now).

Almost all available TabletPC's fail to fulfill these rigorous needs except some of the offerings from Fujitsu, HP, Dell, Motion, and Panasonic. The Toughpads are outrageous compared to any of them at over $3k for an Atom based device. But, when you have 800 or more devices to manage you appreciate not having to replace one every week because of a drop in a parking lot. Time needed to manage is worth a lot of device. Next up is Motion which is just a little less than Panasonic. HP and Dell are the bargain basement machines by comparison but both seem to be dropping pen performance. Fujitsu is priced right about in the middle of the road.

Also notice that HP, Dell, Motion, Panasonic, and Fujitsu have corporate sales roaming the planet meeting with IT execs to frame contracts. The prices on their websites are nowhere near what a corporation will pony per device. The ability to buy one off their website is mainly for small businesses. These companies are not consumer companies like Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, and Apple among others. Panasonic will not even sell one to an individual; you need to find a reseller to get one. This is why the prices are more, there is usually a desktop dock with VGA (most monitors and projectors are still VGA in the corporate world), the expansion stuff is expansive, and nothing makes sense as a consumer device.

In addition, ordering from these websites often leaves a sour impression because it just isn't like ordering from Amazon or Apple. It is impersonal like ordering from a business. That is by design. The one or two sales from the website are not the main attraction.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Well if the made the T734 ULV, that would essentially be a Q704, without the detachable part. The T734 going ULV would have made more sense if the Q704 was still 11.6in, vs being 12.5in.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Please hurry Fuji I want the T904

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Your right. In fact I would actually rather that they would have left both devices full voltage, but that's just me.