Fujitsu Announces Stylistic Q584 (Bay Trail)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tourniquet, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My usage is similar to dellaster's in terms of storage space used. However, I also have a whopping 145 GB of skydrive storage which helps, most of my files are on the cloud with only a few stored locally on the tablet. On my other devices, everything is stored locally.

My 64 GB microSD which holds videos, music and such is pretty full though, I'm going to have to unload the videos on it to the folders shared on the network on my desktop at some point.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have two pocket-sized Seagate 1 TB hard drives which I keep mirrored, with around 600 GB of media files. Mostly ripped DVDs and games. I copy what I plan to watch/play to the tablet or microSD as needed then delete after I'm done with them.

I have lots of (one-year free) OneDrive storage but that's not an option for someone like me who travels full-time and only has 20 GB allowed per month on a cellular data plan.

3. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I just tested this out.

1. Yes
    2. Yes. I have put the tablet in the keyboard dock probably 50 times in the last few weeks. The one annoying thing is that some of the rubber feet on my keyboard dock have already come out after only ~50 times slipping into a bag.
    3. Yes.

Yes, it's very easy to snap a picture with the camera, either with touch or mouse/keyboard. Then, you can open onenote and simply insert the picture.

I have enough issues that I'm sending it back to get repaired/replaced, and I would be very happy to start an owners lounge. I love the tablet, even with its glitches.

4. tijo

Not actually tablet related, but ask your professor if they are ok with you taking pictures of lectures or anything else of the recording sort.

I don't mind student taking pictures of solutions I write on the blackboard when it's time for problem solving, but if they want to record a lecture or take pictures during a lecture, it would tick me off if they didn't ask first. If someone asks, sure why not, but seriously, ask. Same goes for solutions to exams, we want to keep some solutions to exams kinda private so that we can reuse the questions a couple of years down the line without having to worry about students having the solution. This is for only a handful of classes, but there is that and taking pictures is a big no no when we present the solutions to the theoretical questions so the students can at least know what they did wrong.

Taking pictures of exams, recording and filming lectures/solutions is becoming enough of an issue that my whole department is going to have meetings just to decide where we stand on the issue. So whatever you do, ask them, for all you know, your professor will be willing to provide a full size PDF version of the presentation slides that you could annotate. It's what I personally do, convert the .ppt doc to .pdf and make it available online to the students.

I haven't seen someone annotating on a tablet yet, but they certainly print and annotate them.

You will find that most professors will be willing to have their lectures recorded or pictures taken without the flash, but some may not and if you start doing that and they see you doing it, they will be pretty annoyed and an annoyed professor is far less likely to go out of their way to help you.

My tablet has been awesome as far as making solutions to examples has been, no more need to write it down neatly on paper, scan it, etc. I just write the solution in Windows Journal, convert to PDF and not only do I have a digital copy ready for whenever I need it, it's much more convenient to upload so that students can download it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    dceggert likes this.
  5. tijo

I'm not a professor, just a TA that happens to give lectures, we haven't caught someone recording us during lectures yet (probably because if you are recording, you are not paying as much attention), but we certainly caught some students taking pictures and filming stuff they shouldn't have been. I've had students taking pictures of examples I provided like I said before, but that is not something I mind, the idea of providing examples is that they can write them down to help their understanding. They usually take pictures so that they can take their time copying back. There's only so much you can fit on a board before you need to erase.

Like I said, if the professor supplies minuscule versions of his slides, ask if he could provide a .pdf with the full size slides. If the presentation is a .ppt/.pptx file, it's super easy to do so and I don't see why they wouldn't do it. It will certainly look nicer than pictures when you annotate as well.

As to why some professors might be reluctant to have the actual lecture recorded rather than taking pictures. It's simply because someone who doesn't attend the lectures could get the recording. Some professors care a lot about attendance, some TAs do as well. The idea being that it shows a certain amount of seriousness and professionalism, which can be used as a criteria to determine how much you are willing to help a given student.

You'll find most professors open to the idea of you taking pictures, consider asking a mark of respect and insurance in case they are actually against it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

If a lecturer provides something, then I think they should expect to end up in the open. As long as the students have some means of copying it; even just by hand on paper there is the chance they will. The problem with taking pictures is that it is can be very intrusive (especially if they use flash).

As for voice recordings I can see why lecturers can be uncomfortable with it. However I don't have much time for that excuse, as they chose to do a job that included lecturing. I especially don't have time for those who don't provide materials at least after the lecture has taken place.

It's always best to ask though, especially if it is doing something more intrusive like taking pictures.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It actually goes further than a persons discomfort. It can actually be illegal.

Audio recording without permission is illegal in many states in the US because it violates "wire tapping" laws. It is illegal for example to use a "nanny cam" which records audio in your own home. Video is ok, but not audio.

My guess is the danger of actually being prosecuted for it is pretty low though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. tijo

Yes, the danger is quite low and lectures are meant to be heard. It is more the principle of the thing.

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Q584 shows shipped and in transit on Fujitsu's site, though I have yet to receive an email about it. FedEx, no tracking number yet so I have no idea where it's shipping from and therefore can't guess arrival time. It was picked up at 01:30 PDT which suggests Japan origin to me.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. kdunchained

kdunchained Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the same situation. Static noises occurs when typing, touching or just randomly. Still have not returned the item. Did any software update work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.