Fujitsu Announces Stylistic Q584 (Bay Trail)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tourniquet, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martingale

Martingale Pen Pal - Newbie

Another ,more or less the same, (hungarian) (german) videos from the fujitsu event at Munich. The Fujitsu Forum starts tomorrow so I am sure there will be more to come.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Yeah, the Fujitsu Forum should produce a lot of reports. I hope one of them think to check the storage to confirm whether it's eMMC or SSD mSATA. The Fuji specs page shows the latter and the PDF says both. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

What is so special about this tablet when it looks a lot like my daughter's ipad 2 (at least in that video Jeff had posted)?

I forgot -- IGZO screen, Wacom digitizer, Bay Trail, full Windows 8.1, Office 2013 / OneNote (with my HUP license), hopefully SSD. At $900, this would still be a good deal (compared to a Thinkpad Yoga that is too much for a teenager) and could last my daughter's entire high school years.

I'm not sure how often Fujitsu/retailers discount these products; anyone know? :)

4. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

Definitely want this. Not sure if I want to pay the price for it though. It's hard to justify paying more for a baytrail device than an icore just for the connected standby and 16:10 ratio. (my two main reasons for this over something like the SP2)

5. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL, that is so true. I forgot about the SP2, for which there is the 10% off for educational purchases. High Resolution screen is the other advantage.

Decisions, decisions. Haha.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that this will sway anyone, but I think my SP2 is going back. Two things I can't stand about it: the 16:9 aspect ratio, and the keyboards (well, and that the paint already seems to be wearing on the edges and I treat this thing better than anything I've ever owned). The ratio is just horrible in portrait. Even for just browsing Web browsing it is crushed together. Documents are bad as well. The touch keyboard 2 just seems to have issues I never ran into with the 1, and I'm on my second. It also randomly disconnects, which I've been told happened with the SP1s as well. Its really making me miss a dockable keyboard. Needless to say, I may return to Android, or this, depending on price and reviews.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

internalaudit likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Man, you're so far ahead of me. Here I'm still almost buying a 512GB SP2 and yours is already going back! Reason I'm still on board: I want a single lightweight device does it all with minimal trinkets. SP2 with type cover seems to fit the bill. Your complaints will reduce my suffering while I wait for stock to return..
    ____

Sent kind of embarrassingly from my sweet iPad Air - thanks Target, for enticing me with $200 credit on my crappy iPad 1!

Zeelobby likes this.
  8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm tempted to grab that deal as well. Its pretty sweet. And I have a gen 1 to boot. That said, it really just overlapped too much with my super powerful laptop, which is better for work, and my Nexus 7, which is better for entertainment. The Q584 at least has battery life and better screen, so I'll give it a shot. Right now, the best of all capabilities is to have a work-centric device with 13"+ screen and an iOS/Android device for entertainment. I've really just missed some apps that I have on my other devices and using the non-touch-friendly Web versions can be a challenge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

9. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Maybe. The iPad air was definitely an indulgence, and it doesn't fit a much different role than my 500T. It's so slick though, and more comfortable for casual reading. So kind of wasteful, but I did miss some of those iOS music apps. It's like reuniting with old friends! Anyway, back on topic..

Zeelobby likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I really don't get how people find 16:10 vs 16:9 to be such a large issue, and in some cases even a deal breaker?

At the same screen area 16:10 is 5.4% wider and 5.1% less tall. Taking the 10.1 inch 16:10 screen as reference, the equal area 16:9 counterpart is a ~10.35 inch screen (the conversion factor is ~1.025 in case your interested). So in absolute numbers that makes it 5.35 vs 5.07 inches wide (~7 mm wider) and 8.56 vs 9.00 inches tall (~11 mm less tall). How is that such a big issue compared to things like pen technology, performance, OS/software considerations, etc. I certainly agree that for inking (the only time I like to use portrait) I'd prefer slightly more width, but gaining 5% on this is way down the list of priorities.

So just as an example, for SP2 vs Q584 the numbers are 5.35 vs 5.20 inches (~4 mm wider) and 8.56 vs 9.24 (17 mm less tall) and the SP2 has about 5% more screen area. Would I take the Q584 dimensions over the SP2? Yes, but only as a tiebreak after considering many other things first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.