Fujitsu Announces Stylistic Q584 (Bay Trail)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tourniquet, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It looks like he hired a shaky cam to make the video.

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

For those who, like me, own the Thinkpad Tablet 2 accessories it's good to know that at least some of them can have their life extended in use for the Q584. Specifically:

Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Sleeve Palm Accessories: Computers & Accessories
    and
    Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth Keyboard with Stand - US English: Computers & Accessories

The Q584 is a little bigger but it still fits okay with the sleeve closed. Note that just like with the TPT2 the bluetooth keyboard does not lock to the tablet in any way (unless you want to add Velcro). The tablet just sits in the groove. Okay for a flat, stable, tabletop but not all that good in one's lap.

Q584docked.jpg

The keyboard and trackpoint work plug-n-play once paired to the Q584. The trackpoint, BTW, is the optical type which some people rage and hate on Lenovo about. Just so you know. ;)

inserting.jpg

A snugger fit than with the TPT2, but you don't have to force it in.

closed.jpg

I think this sleeve is a good one as far as protection goes. For some folks the fact that a workable keyboard fits in there too will be a bonus. I don't know that I'll ever actually use the keyboard, but it's so light it's no trouble taking it along just in case.

Coming up on thirty days with my Q584 and I'm still loving it — it's perfect for me — and I haven't had any other issue besides the scratchy interference (static) when using headphones (knock on wood). Battery has settled in between nine and ten hours on a full charge; Tijo's color calibration profile has pretty much eliminated the somewhat nagging, slight yellowish tint; performance is great on everything I use except that pig, that resource hog called Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 (but I can use it). The latter is also the only application I use often that won't scale properly.

Which brings me to the Wacom pen. I can't speak to the artistic merits but I can say it's quite noticeably more accurate in the corners than either the SP2 or TPT2. I can hit the close box on Corel PSP when full screened even though it's a 2650x1600-scaled window. Ditto for all the menus. Though, to be honest, I usually use Corel with my mouse and keyboard. Regardless, I'm quite pleased with the pen even though I only use it as a pointing device.

:thumbsup:

Tams likes this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It's finally turned up at Fujitsu's German store. Only the 128GB version is available, but apparently it has 4G. It's cheaper than most of the ones available in the UK. The only accessories that appear to be available there are some low end IEMs.

I don't know if they ship outside of Germany. It's certainly not much of a hassle for companies to ship inside in EU though. Amazon de will quite happily ship to the UK for instance.

Myself; I'm very tempted to jump now. I might be going to live in Japan soon though, so getting their version later might be a better idea. I'm not sure I can wait four months though. :eek:7

@dellaster Was it to your cat's liking (taste)?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

She's restricted to sniff only ever since she left tooth marks on the TPT2... on that same top-left corner, coincidentally. ;)

Hm, if you wait to buy in Japan you'll get it with the Japanese localized Windows, which may be important for you there. Some Japanese programs won't run on anything else (without some hack).

But I know that I would have a hard time waiting. Good luck with that!

6. njf

njf Pen Pal - Newbie

It doesn't seem cheaper to me. I paid £1,221.60 or you can get it from here for £1,209.62. That equates to about 1,450€. Unless the price has changed since you posted, the Fujitsu Germany price is 1.469.70€. There also seems to be a question about whether the warranty is international or country-specific. If you buy from overseas, you need to check that. Good luck whatever you decide.

7. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought my T902 from Germany and the Warranty is valid in Belgium. You can always check with Fujitsu about warranty before buying from them.

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I did type "cheaper than most". As for warranty, it should be fine. At least I've yet to have a problem with buying within the UK from other parts of the EU regarding warranty. The only problem I could see is if you are from a country that isn't in the EU. Buying from a UK company would make more sense; I was just pointing out that Fujitsu are selling it directly in Europe.

9. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just received my sixth Q584 today. The previous five were all defective. Wouldn't you know it. I opened up the box and the entire top edge of the tablet casing is separated. Not very water resistant now. My first two had a slight gap but it appeared to just be some paint or plastic not quite filled in but at least they were sealed. I can very gently just tug on this seam and can pull the tablet apart.
    I don't know why I am continually trying to buy this tablet. For $1300 you think that someone at Fujitsu would have noticed this problem before they packaged it up. I have filed a claim and need to wait 48 hours for customer service to contact me. I will give them one more chance and that is it and I won't accept a replacement without some kind of compensation. This is getting ridiculous. I have owned several Fujitsu products without a problem but the build quality errors on this tablet are astounding.

Also, every tablet of the six that I have had all have the defective headset port. I am guessing that they all do now and there might not be a fix at all. Most people don't use the headset port anyway and that is probably why many users aren't complaining about it too. I really love what this tablet could be if I could just get one that is fully functional and the case is 100% sealed around the edges.

10. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

It sounds like the same problem that I had: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fuj...y-trail-post376794.html?highlight=#post376794

Fujitsu has had my tablet for two weeks now... still no news on when they'll get replacement parts for it.