frustrated artist

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. YeeWu

YeeWu Pen Pal - Newbie

Why is it so bad to draw on a convertible? True, they are heavier, but I don't have any trouble with doing so at all.

Havraha: I don't think there's a TabletPC out there that supports anything above 512 levels of pressure sensitivity (graphire level). A 12" screen is small, but I've found it to be usable. As for colors...I'm not sure about the m400, but I honestly cannot say I am a very big fan of Toshiba displays. I feel like the colors clip too much on them.

2. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

Color clipping? I don't know what you mean by that.

Like I said, displays are important to me, being an artist. And I "understand" that most people around here seem to think slates have better displays. And I WOULD go that way, but having messed with my sister's laptop, I can't see how I could give up the oldschool functionality of a keyboard as well. Sometimes, a good old fashion keyboard is just better for writing and things.

If any of you can point me in the direction of tablets with excellent displays, please do. Though keep in mind, if you can, that I'm a convertible kind of guy.

Unfortunately I can't check out any tablet pc's in person since the only place that carries one on display nearby is a Bestbuy, who just so happens to have the default "best buy demo" installed on it and the pen ripped off the tether, so it's magically rendered completely useless and makes for a nice paper weight for the staff up there. Grr. -_-

The extended battery life on that M400 looks attractive too. Everything about that computer is VERY attractive, except for my lingering worries with the display. Are Toshiba displays necessarily "bad"? I'd like to hear some detailed insight on em by anyone who knows.

I also don't know how big 12.1 inch displays are. I mean ... I KNOW that they're close to a ruler, but ... I'd like to see a picture of one in comparison to a person, or something. Can anyone help me out there? I'm useless, I know. ;-)

Thanks. ;)

3. YeeWu

YeeWu Pen Pal - Newbie

By color clipping, I mean light values tend to get pushed towards white, which leads to a slightly blown out display.

4. dopeydope

dopeydope Pen Pal - Newbie

i was out for a while, looking around for tablets available in my country. ive been reading your thread too. and i say, yes you have indeed explained the necessity of a pressure sensitive tablet. a detachable tablet like wacom is pressure sensitive but it it also not as mobile as poetdante has stated.

5. dopeydope

the prices here of the tablets are unthinkable!! lets say,

US$1,600 = around P88,000

I checked out the price of the M400 yesterday and it was aroung P156,000 or US$2,700... double the price! :(

i might as well have it shipped to a relative abroad and wait for them to come home. ay yay yay... :(

6. dopeydope

I was searching for the specs of Emma's slate and it looks mighty fine but i've got a few questions..

LE1600 TABLET PC SPECIFICATIONS

just how well does centrino work now? my dad says its fast and everything.. and it can handle graphic heavy programs.. is that true?

does this mean it's pressure sensitive?

is 1.5GB fast enough? :)

the atheros AG wireless network is only optional? :( meaning i hafta pay extra? yey for bluetooth!

what's sticky notes?? :)

but then that means, if my laptop breaks, ill have to ship it out to the states to have it fixed if im buying it there?

This all sounds great to me.. but is it really $2,000? or has the price gone down now? i might as well purchase a small keyboard because i use the hot keys like crazy. and im a chatter.. and chatting will be quite difficult with a pen. but im sure using tablets/slates for my graphics will be very pleasing!

7. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi DopeyDope -

I'll answer as best I can tho Im not technically minded - I've got a top spec motion 1600 - with 1.5gb ram - I run photoshop as my number one programme and its great - some of the filters take a while to do their stuff - but others are immediate - I also use Corel Photopaint - which is a fantastic art programme - version 8 was really slow with its watercolour brushes - but version 9 is 10 itmes faster! (wow!) (its immediate)- so no problems there - my photographs (I use a high spec digital camera) load immediately - so I would have to say YES - its excellent for heavy graphics!

My main computer has 2gb ram and a 2gb processor - I dont really notice any difference in performance between this and the tablet - BUT if you have a top spec main computer at the moment, you might notice a difference - it all depends what you're used to I suppose!

Pressure sensitivity - this is a weird one and I havent quite worked it out - when the unit arrived - I looked at the pen - and pressed the nib - it is not spring loaded - then I tried it in photoshop and I had only a solid line - I was upset - THEN I downloaded wacoms latest driver - and now I have pressure sensitivity - tho my pen isnt a true pressure sensitive because of the solid nib - so I have no idea whats going on there - the LEVEL of sensitivity isnt as good as I would like it to be (I cant get as much variety in the line thickness as I would like - but Ive heard that's true of all digitizer pens) but it is doing the job just fine- Wacom sell a cross pen which will work with the motion tablet - Im looking into this at the moment - it has a spring loaded nib and Im hoping that it will give me more sensitivity. If anyone knows where I can get one in the Uk - please let me know - theyre quite reasonably priced in the States - but I can only seem to get one form Wacom Europe and for some reason they're about 3 times more expensive - the Uk hasnt woken up to tablet pc's yet really !!!!

sticky notes is a little programme - just like those little yellow sticky notes by 3m that people stick all over their desks at work to remind them to do things - I dont use it - but its neat - you can record voice clips on it as well as write on it.

Cooler still is INK DESKTOP - this little extra (free download) lets you write on the desktop of the tablet - I use this a lot - to jot down phone numbers on the move - doodle, etc -

Also cool is ONE NOTE - this is like having lots and lots of notebooks, - in fact a whole filing system - all easily accessible - it looks like a regular notebook with lines (you can choose not to have lines if you want sketchbooks instead) with little tabs down the side - so you can go to specific pages with a single click - - you can record voice clips, etc (the microphone array works really well and is v sensitive) you can write, draw, snip bits off webpages and paste them in - you can do lots and lots with this programme - but to be honest I dont need to! so I dont use it often

I took out an extra years warantee for £50 - so I have peace of mind for 2 years - but to be honest - I have a sneaking suspicion that these machines are so good - Im not going to need it! The company I bought it from (Mobitech - uk) tell me that they havent had one single unit returned - I trust them! (this trust is worth a lot)

It has taken me a while to adjust - at first the novelty value was amazing - but then I started to miss my pencil and paper and paints - sometimes I now choose to use my pencil and sketchbooks for initial ideas (just coz I like my pencil)

I dont know what sort of artist you are - but corel photopaint9 is truley beautiful! I dont have any web addresses to hand - but go search the web - you'll find some amazing image galleries - also try http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/community_LP.php
    there are some lovely images and some fanatastic animations that have been done onthe motion - Im not sure what this is as I havent studied it - but it would seem that Bauhaus have put together a piece of software and the motion 1600 and they call it THE NOMAD - a system for animators and artists alike - its COOL

I hope all this helps - I'll pop back soon - Emma xxx

8. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

Talk about a detailed rundown. Nice job, emma! Good suggestions!

I don't suppose you have any of your work online, do ya? I'd love to see your stuff.

9. dopeydope

emma does have some of her work online. :) im more into advertising but i like to doodle alot too.

thanks for the rundown emma. you can actually be a salesperson for their product. :D hehe. i do edit videos sometimes, but ill leave that to the desktop since i dont really have to edit when im not at home.

im mostly into graphic arts.. and photography as well. i just need a tablet that will let me do my work without hassle. im sure ill miss my pencil too, but for now, im wishing i have a tablet to begin with.

ill see if they sell that slate here in the philippines. but im sure its going to be expensive, and ill have to work extra for that. by the time i get money saved up, im sure theyll have a newer model out! but for now, just in case i strike it rich in the next few months, im eyeing that motion 1600.

the m4 and the m400 seem to have an optical drive, which i dont see in the motion 1600.. how can i install things? ill have to get a separate reader for that huh?

10. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

For an optical drive? Eh, some tablets just don't got em built in. You can always either buy a docking bay or, for the more mobile guy, buy an external CD/DVD-Rom. May not be the prettiest thing around but if you're deadset on getting a tablet that doesn't have one built in, it'll get the job done.