frustrated artist

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a ford also. great car. anyway I am just making a point that I think it is a very good brand from the recomendations that I was given. I was going to buy one if I had the money. But my doctor and my sister who is a doctor say they are great. And I have used one. It is very light and pretty fast for me. I recall someone here saying, one of the admins I think, that a motion 1.0 ghtz processor is like a regular 1.6 on a computer. And I have look at the reviews of those slates. It is just the same thing with the gateway and m4. I read the reviews and the gateway looked to be just the same if not better (in price) as the M4. Now after going down to Bestbuy I found the gateway to be a peice of garbage. It was bulky, heavy, hard to hold, hard to turn, mis-alignment was horrible (my r15 came out of the box and I never had to align it), and it seemed to be made of a very poor material. I thanked God that I did not get it but got an r15. anyway sometimes things may look the same but once you get them one is always better than the other. like pirated merchandise in China.

2. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think you're picky. A computer's supposed to fit your lifestyle, not the other way around.

Anyway, if you do decide to go with a slate, there's a lot of mini-keyboards you can use. The smallest (qwerty) I've found is the Freedom mini bluetooth.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=124250

It's just slightly bigger than a credit card! It's made for cell phones, but I think it'll work with any win xp computer with bluetooth. At only $60 it's reasonable.

There's also the wristPC keyboard which you can strap on your forarm, but it's $250-350 and it's not wireless. Plus the dork factor is pretty high if you're walking around with this thing on your arm.

http://www.l3sys.com/wristpc/wristpc.html

Another bizarre "mini keyboard" is the twiddler2 which is a one handed thing that also has an IBM trackpoint in it, but I don't know how useful it would be for the normal user.

http://www.l3sys.com/wristpc/wristpc.html

Also for the slates I'd suggest adding more ram yourself. I don't know why they charge so much for maximiznig the ram, but it's MUCH cheaper to do it yourslef.

3. poetdante

I wonder if slates are noisier or harder to cool than convertibles.

4. dopeydope

dopeydope Pen Pal - Newbie

would you know if they sell them here in the philippines? i cant seem to find any! :(

5. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

Dopeydope - Im a professional illustrator - check out my thread under heardware - entitled "I just got a motion 1600 - heres what I think - Im in UK "

You can get a usb or wireless keyboard, giving you the best of both worlds

All the best emma x

6. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

I just popped back in here as I read a bit of your first post Dopeydope - about pressure sensitivity - you said it would be a plus - I would say its essential - you will not be able to work as an artist without this - without pressure sensitivity you are in effect working with a marker pen - one line - it will limit you terribly - you wont even have the versitiltiy that a simple pencil line can give you - imagine a stick of charcoal without the ability to vary the intensity - unthinkable!!!!!

7. fizloki

fizloki Pen Pal - Newbie

8. poetdante

It is. but you don't want to lug around a desktop do you? Tablets give you true mobility. no cables or wires to attach. As for the sensitivity, I don't use that, but I am not an artist.

9. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

My situation is similiar. I'm a highschool student who's going to be graduating in about 3 months, and I'm looking for a tabletpc that's going to fit a few criterion --

Convertible Style (I like to type sometimes)
    A good screen for graphics and good pressure sensitivity (I'm going into graphic arts in college and NEED this)
    A CD-Rom drive built in somehow.

I know that a "gaming" tablet pc is practically unheard of so I'm not going to press my luck, but I'd like it if the one i can get can handle graphic well.

I'm looking at the new Toshiba Portege M400 that just came out. That core duo processor is REALLY attractive, but what scares me is it's display. 12.1 inches? Widescreen? Is that really a POSSIBLE screen size, let alone for an artist? And what about it's pressure sensitivity and colors? Everything else about the computer, I'm confident about.

So yeah, me and the author of this thread is in the same boat. What do you guys think we should be looking into?

Slates are out of the question for me. And weight isn't really a priority, but the lighter the better I guess.

10. poetdante

your best bet is the M4 because it has dedicated graphics (it's the closest thing to a gaming tablet you can get), an optical drive, and a 14in screen with great sensitivity. it is good if you are willing to use 6.5lb. But if I were an artist I would use a slate. seriously, drawing on a convertible is so uncomfortable. especially with the lack of friction