frustrated artist

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes. but any keyboard will do because you have usb keyboards now. at home you can set up a docking station which you use the tablet as a monitor and everything else is hooked up to the station. it is just a attach detatch tablet from the base type of deal.

2. dopeydope

dopeydope Pen Pal - Newbie

well.. now a slate doesnt sound that bad anymore. lol. see. im sooo confused.

Usual programs I use:
    Photoshop
    Premiere
    Flash
    Word

Explorer
    Blogger/LJ
    Multiply
    Y!Messenger
    iSketch

Sims

iTunes

and i have tons and tons of pictures and graphic heavy files..

I use my digital camera alot and a memory card slot would be great.

USB (its a must for everyon nowadays)

soooo basically, is there a tablet notebook or slate that can let me enjoy these without any holdbacks? :confused:

3. poetdante

Well the LE1600 from Motion computing should suit you. It has a 1.5ghtz processor (my r15 has a 1.6 so you're set) and after upgrading the memory it shoudl handle everything you need. The Y! messenger I would recomend ditching since MSN Messenger has ink messages for tablets. The only things a slate might not do for you is the large hard drive and the memory card slot. the memory card slot you could detour by usb but the hard drive is an issue. With all the large programs and files, in addition to the music an files, I would say you need a large hard drive. 60gb is the max you can get with the LE1600. The max memory is 1.5gb and the cost is well over $2200. http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_le.asp

But if you are willing to get a convertible, the M4 is good with graphics, has (to my knowledge) and SD slot. Also, the M4 can have a maximum of 2gb ram and 80gb HDD. The cost is about 1700 plus another 200 for memory (save yourself some cash and buy from newegg or crucial)

4. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as slates go you could also check out the Fujitsu Stylistic st5030, Electrovaya Scribbler sc3000, Sahara i215, or the HP tc1100.

They're all comparable to the LE1600, if not better in some ways, depending on your preferences.

5. poetdante

the only way those are better is in price. the word is motion is the best. I say if they are good enough for Ford engineers and doctors to use they are pretty high quality. Plus they should be for that price. also, the fact that they don't sell through third parties is another thing that makes them seem better.

6. dopeydope

ive checked them out.. and they all look so nice.. *sigh*

has anyone heard of the flybook? it just looks so pretty. haha! but im not sure it works great. it just looks good.

maybe ill wait for the Toshiba M400 and see if it compares to the M4. the slate would be very convenient in terms of weight but i need more out of it, like a notebook.

a 14" would be great, but isnt it distracting to others?

7. dopeydope

Asus displays their new R1F Tablet PC but keeps it on the DL

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/10/asus-displays-their-new-r1f-tablet-pc-but-keeps-it-on-the-dl/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. dopeydope

but then im sort of leaning towards the m400.. but this looks like it can be a competitor..

9. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in a similar position to you dopeydope. I love the slate format, but they just seem so underpowered for the money. My desktop has an athlon 64 3500 and a gig of ram and I still can't do quite everything I want. I paid about 500 bucks for this configuration. How can I justify spending 5 times as much just for portability? Gah!

By the way Poetdante....if you actually look at the stats and reviews of those slates there's very little difference. Just because ford engineers use the le1600 is no reason to put it ahead of the others. In fact I'd say it's just the opposite. I have a ford and I can safely say their engineers are nothing to brag about!

10. dopeydope

i know what you mean! i want a powerful tablet that isnt ridiculous in size and weight and allows me to do what i do.. graphic heavy programs and internet.. gaming if it allows me to.. and muuusic. id love the slate really, but i cant carry around a dock and the keyboards when i go out.. am i picky? :confused: