frustrated artist

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dopeydope

dopeydope Pen Pal - Newbie

first off, a big wow to all of you. this is a very helpful site. :D

now, im graduating from college soon, about to get my bachelor's degree in fine arts. I will pursue Advertising and I need a notebook badly. I like to move around alot and my room isn't big enough to hold a desktop.

I want a tablet that I can use for Photoshop, and other graphic heavy programs. (Sims 2 is also on my list of priorities :p ) I use the internet alot so WiFi is a big yes. long battery life is a plus but not a requirement. Office of course is a requirement. I can always plug in my portable external drive if the HDD isn't that huge. If i can use Premeire and edit on it too, then why not!? hehe.

But the thing is, I dont think i can live on a slate alone. I dont want to lug the keyboard around. There have been some threads here about needing the stylus to be pressure friendly, for art strokes and such. That would be a plus too.

A fast processor and expandable anything would be great too, esp for the memory. And a bigger screen would be plenty of help. Ive seen the graphic friendly tablets and they're all slates.

I'm going to start working around june and my graduation gift could be the perfect tablet for me as long as i find it! :)

what is optical something something? ive read about it in other threads but i cant seem to grasp its meaning.

kudos to all of you and thank you in advance. ;)

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the optical something something your thinking of is the optical drive which is generally a cd/dvd drive. Some manufacturers may give you different options for this bay. Hopefully this is what you meant! :)

3. dopeydope

aaahh yes i think that's it. :) thanks. whee. i got a reply.

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What you want hasn't been released just yet. I'd hold out for the core duo models, like the Toshiba M400.

5. dopeydope

sorry to sound dumb but what exactly do core duo models do?

6. dopeydope

Toshiba Portege M400 Specifications:

12.1" display
    2 different display options when purchase: 1024x768 XGA resolution with shared graphics memory or 1400x1050 SXGA+ resolution with 128MB graphics (Intel graphics chipset)
    Intel Core Duo Processor -- Centrino Duo -- with 2MB L2 cache
    Removable, internal optical drive
    SATA hard drive
    2 built-in array microphones
    Optional bluetooth
    Optional fingerprint scanner
    Around 5lbs (varies depending on configuration)

Air vent, Kensington lock, 2 USB 2.0 ports, etc
    Display folds down like a classic notebook
    Display also flips around and lays flat like a Tablet PC
    Internal optical drive

sounds expensive but lovely!!

7. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

If I was going to use it for Photoshop or Premiere, I'd want a larger screen like the M4

8. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oh so that is how it is going to be around 5lb. it is a 12.1in screen. and here I thought they got a 14.1in screen to be under 5lb with everything the m4 has got and more.

9. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

and as an artist I would use a slate just because, though I am not an artist, it is hard to write on a convertible without a table or large flat raised surface.

10. dopeydope

yeah, a slate is really sleek and light and its really like a portable sketchpad, but the downer is.. I type alot too.

sure, at home i can connect the keyboard.. uhm wait, is a keyboard included too?? (for a slate) or is it sold separately? :confused: