Front Cam Not Recognized by Webex

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by racerjim, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

When I try to enable a webcam in webex on my Slate, I get "We can't connect to your webcam. Is the webcam installed properly or are you using it in another application?" The front cam works fine in the HP Slate Camera software. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, that had no effect. Anyone have this problem and solve it?

TIA,

Jim

2. racerjim

Not working in Google Talk either. Anyone? Bueller?

3. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

It could be that the hp camera driver isn't properly installed. I would check to see if there is an update to it, and then reinstall it.

2d

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Does the CAM work with the HP Software? Does it work with Live Messenger? Does it work with Skype?

If it works with the above, you then have an issue with the application. If the applications are Flash based then you may need to select the camera (the HP has both a forward and rear facing camera).

Another option is download and install ManyCam (its free) and set the forward facincamerara to that and select ManyCam in those applications.

5. racerjim

The camera works fine with the HP Slate Camera app. Haven't tried it with apps other than webex and google talk. Doesn't work with ManyCam either. Reinstalled the driver, didn't reinstall the camera software, may try that next.

Has anyone had success using the forward facing camera as a webcam?

Jim

6. jnjroach

When I was using the HP Slate as my work machine I used the Cam with MS Lync 2010 to make video calls and I used it with Skype when I would travel internationally...

7. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

skype has worked for me without issue. That is really all i've used the camera with though.

2d

8. jnjroach

Another thing to look at is with some software, the program gets confused by having to Cams, one front facing and one rear.

In the HP Software make sure you are using the front facing CAM and then try again with Webex...

9. racerjim

Thanks for the feedback. I tried this experiment last night. I uninstalled the Virtual Webcam software. This had the effect of disabling the front camera in the HP Camera Software, the toggle switch on the left side of the display was gone, and only the back (3MP) camera was functioning. However, in this configuration, webex was able to find the 3MP camera and use it as a webcam. Of course, this is a problem, since it faces the wrong way... I reinstalled the webcam software/driver with the download from the HP website, and I succeeded in getting the HP Camera Software to recognize and use both cameras, but then webex couldn't find either camera for use as a webcam.

I've found others on the web that have the same symptoms with other webcam-using apps, but none that have presented a solution.

I've been resisting (for no rational reason) installing Skype on my slate, but it may be worth it to see if the cam works with Skype on my slate. That seems to work for several folks.

I think I will also contact Webex support to see if they have any thoughts. It appears to be an issue with their software.

thanks,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.