From C140X to smaller form-factor

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by GandhiM, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

under $600 preferred

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10"+

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

4 minimum, 5-6 preferred

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Web/email and video playback (must have at least VGA connection. HDMI preferred)

9. Do you have an OS preference?

No. Most comfortable using Windows classic interface

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Office, various media playback software

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

no

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

Any, I have good vision :). Larger resolution preferred.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?

It would be nice, but not a requirement. Current is not.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?

matte, but glossy seems to be the standard

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

It would be nice. Right now I mainly use the pen as my main interface in "laptop" mode. I don't write much (prefer to just use the keyboard) so I could use touch only, but with a smaller, easier to handle platform, I may write in tablet mode more. So I prefer resistive, but will consider capacitive.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

see above

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Any. 150 gb+ preferred

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in? No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

No

Misc

Would really like 3g/4g network compatibility built in. Might give me a reason to get a data plan.

I'm currently using a Gateway C140X. It was great for note-taking in college, but now is mainly relegated to a "travel computer", and it sometimes run my projector. I would like a much smaller and easier to handle computer, and am very interested in net-vertibles. Baring that, I'd probably just get a HP tm2t. I mainly use the pen to interface with the computer in "laptop mode", as it's much better than using the touch pad. With a smaller form factor I see my main use as web/e-mail, media, and e-book reader. With a smaller platform that the C140 I see myself using it in tablet more more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.