Fresh Windows install on Portege M400

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Yellowsub, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccheaton

ccheaton Pen Pal - Newbie

What other changes did you have to make to get this to work? I changed SETUPP.INI but I don't have a WINNT.SIF file. I do have TXTSETUP.SIF...

2. mike1728

mike1728 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just gave up on changing those files and copied the entire I386 directory over from the C:\Windows directory on the M400 factory install. Maybe somebody can compare the two and see what is different, but I didn't want to do it. There was no WINNT.SIF file, however.

3. ccheaton

ccheaton Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... the problem is that I can't do that because my original XP Tablet install was pre SP-2 and it won't allow the i386 folder.... darn. I Just want to know what I need to take from my OLD i386 folder to make the generic one work with my key.

4. mike1728

mike1728 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well if you can get a pre-SP2 CD, that would probably be the easiest solution. Then you could replace your I386 directory and slipstream in SP2 using nLite or just manually. Alternatively you could try copying the I386 directory to an SP2 CD and then slipstreaming SP2, but that may not work.

5. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem, my key doesnt work, and i cant use my I386 because its a spanish windows and i need the english version.

Anyone have idea to resolve this problem ¿?

6. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an R25, and it has a SATA HDD. I was able to do a clean install with my WinXP MCE 2005 SP2 discs no probem. No floppy or slipstreaming needed.

7. andrewmetal

andrewmetal Pen Pal - Newbie

Helppp!!! I`m get troubleshooting with installation xp from vista.I don`t know step by step to install xp on toshiba portege m400 tablet pc and i don`t what drivers should be downloaded to this tablet pc.I`m still confused with using nlite and made new fresh copy of winxp with floppy drive(i don`t have any floopy drive even USB)Please help me because my undergraduate will begin soon.Help me please and i will appriciate with all friends that would help me to solve this problem.Thank You.

8. randomj

randomj Pen Pal - Newbie

Although this is an older thread it did help me immensely a few weeks ago, although the method I used was actually a hybrid of several approaches mentioned here. I'm very happy with the results and after several tries I think I have a process that works well for me, at least and hopefully this combination of various approaches will work for others as well.

NOTE: This method requires a current, working distribution of XP Tablet installed on your laptop, and it should probably be XP SP2 since it's pretty tough to find non-SP2 Tablet PC CDs these days. You'll be stealing some files from your laptop's factory base or current installation. Your factory install of XP Tablet from your laptop manufacturer should do the trick.

1. It's useful to pull the current Windows XP (and possibly other) activation codes off of your laptop before you wipe it. I used KeyFinder by Magical Jelly Bean. With the Windows XP activation key in hand, you'll easily be able to reactivate your laptop in exactly the same configuration as the factory install. Note that the XP Activation key you get from KeyFinder will not be the same as the one on the license on the bottom of your laptop but that's just fine. I recommend using the one from KeyFinder instead since that way you're keeping your laptop tied to the same activation key, and probably not violating any license agreements (DMCA is another story...).

2. I then "obtained" a distribution of XP Tablet PC edition. This is definitely of questionable legality but we really have no choice because of Microsoft's ridiculous OEM licensing decisions. It comes on two CDs, so there are most likely two ISO images in your archive. Whatever you do, don't use any activation codes that you "obtain" with the CD images. That's unquestionably illegal and if all goes well you won't need them anyhow.

3. I then copied all files on both CDs to a new folder on my computer (say, C:\XPTABLETINSTALL).

4. In my newly created folder with all of both CDs' files in it, as per iczman's brilliant advice, I went into the CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR\I386 and deleted MEDIACTR.CAB, replacing it by creating a new text document and renaming it to MEDIACTR.CAB (so you have a 0-length file of the same name). It's so much easier to deal with one CD instead of two, and this makes it much easier to fit everything on one CD.

5. I then downloaded the basic RAID drivers (no utilities) from Toshiba's website and extracted them into a folder on my harddrive (doesn't matter where). I also downloaded the Network adapter drivers (ethernet). I found that the base XP Tablet Edition doesn't seem to have them. It makes setup much easier if you can boot up for the first time with a working Network adapter. Later I used nLite to "slipstream" or add the drivers to a customized XP Tablet edition install CD.

[Now, fast-forward past a bunch of hours and hours of trying to get my activation code to be accepted and my failing miserably every time.]

6. The only thing that ended up working for me was Mike1728's suggestion. If I were you I wouldn't spend too much time trying mess with SETUPP.INI and other such files in order to get the distribution to accept your Tablet's activation code. Just use your existing laptop files and go to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder. Select all files and folders, then find the I386 folder in the folder that you copied the CDs into (C:\XPTABLETINSTALL in my case), and copy all of the files and folders from C:\WINDOWS\I386 to the I386 folder in the new folder. You want to overwrite all existing files and directories in your new folder. What you are doing is replacing most of the files from the source CDs with the content from your laptop. This will cause Windows XP setup to accept your laptop's existing activation code. Also, assuming you're using the activation code you pulled off the laptop, as I describe above, you might not even need to re-activate windows (I didn't need to re-activate mine). At this point, of course I had backed up my laptop but I explicitly also copied my laptop's original C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder somewhere safe. I ended up needing it again because of my many tries at creating a working CD.

7. I then downloaded the recommended program nLite and used it to customize the files in C:\XPTABLETINSTALL. This program allows you to change options and remove packages and then create a new XP Install image to burn to CD. Most importantly it allows you to add the Toshiba RAID and Network adapter drivers that you downloaded above. When you get to that point you should tell nLite that you want to integrate drivers. You'll add the Network drivers as regular PNP drivers (which will allow Windows to find your network adapter during later stages of setup) and RAID drivers need to be integrated as boot or "F6" drivers, which are loaded automatically when Setup starts. Even with the MEDIACTR.CAB hack the files may still be a bit too large to fit but I removed some things like MSN, NetMeeting, Pinball, etc. using nLite. I would recommend not getting too fancy with the options in nLite and limit yourself to removing well-known programs and integrating drivers only. I shot myself in the foot one try by playing around with too many options and ended up creating a distribution that required users to log on to Windows but the networking setup didn't work correctly so the computer didn't have a name and thus there was no way to log in to the laptop. Whooops.

8. With your new distribution tweaked by nLite, you should be able to create an ISO image to burn with the software of your choice or burn directly to CD from within nLite.

[Here it's worth a pause to mention how I tested the distribution before actually installing it on my laptop. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is a great little tool and it's free! I downloaded that and created a virtual machine in which to test installing XP Tablet. You don't even have to burn the CD to test it since Virtual PC can load ISO files and treat them like CDs. Once I was able to complete and install of XP Tablet edition on my Virtual PC, I was much more confident trying it on my real laptop. Remember not to activate Windows on your Virtual PC! Disconnect your computer from the network during install and testing just to be safe.]

9. Now... I held my breath, burned the CD, put it in my laptop and restarted. Again, I used the activation key I snagged using KeyFinder and would recommend you do the same.

My laptop is running probably 10 times faster now, and without most of the random lags and quirks that plagued it before and there aren't a thousand useless icons in my system tray. Thanks for everyone's advice on a topic that would surely be made simpler if Microsoft were actually willing to allow us to give them money in exchange for Tablet PC CDs!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy crap dude. That's a crap ton more steps than my "get a hold of XP:MCE 2005 CDs and use your own XP:Tablet Edition keycode from the bottom of your TPC" method. :p

10. patz

patz Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you tell me which Network adapter drivers (ethernet) to download?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.