Fresh Windows install on Portege M400

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Yellowsub, May 27, 2012.

1. Markstar

Markstar Pen Pal - Newbie

First of all I want to thank everybody in this thread for contributing to the solution of this problem. I followed the advice here and on this page to make finally install WinXP from scratch (however, since I got my M400 without any recovery media and an empty HD, I was not able to use my legit OEM key :( ).
    One note: There is not AHCI setting in the BIOS, but one has to set the RAID ARRAY to 1RAID-0 (it's actually in the manual but imho an easily overlooked detail).

(Maybe a little late) Download the drivers from support.intel.com (Download Center -> Network Connectivity -> Intel Desktop Adapters -> Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter). Unpack the file (current version is 14.0) and select the PRO1000\Win32 directory in nLite. :)
    Note: It doesn't really matter which PRO/1000 driver you download, they are all the same and XP actually recognizes a PRO/1000 PL.

2. New Orleans Computer Repair

New Orleans Computer Repair Pen Pal - Newbie

I gotta tell you...

...I'm living in a god damn NIGHTMARE. For 2 weeks, I've been dealing with this driver problem. I don't know who's to blame for this but they seriously need a COLOSSAL **TCH-SLAPPING! :mad:

3 weeks ago I won a Toshiba Portege M400 on eBay for the amazing low price of $350! The only thing wrong is that it had a crashed hard drive. No problem, just stick in a new one and install XP... WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@ New Orleans, could you outline, the actual issue you're having? Maybe we can help.

4. New Orleans Computer Repair

New Orleans Computer Repair Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, you can call me Al if you'd like.

So I went out and bought the special floppy drive as specified on this page so I could install XP Tablet Edition. Alas, the raid drivers don't work though they seem to load perfectly, but when Windows setup starts it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives". I even tried selecting the option for the Windows 2000 driver, but to no avail.

I've read about the method where you "slipstream" the drivers, but it's often very confusing. Besides, shouldn't the floppy method have worked? For all I know, I might even have the wrong driver.

At this point, I'm ready to re-list the damn thing on eBay. I don't understand why I can't go to Toshiba.com and buy an XP disk with the drivers loaded into them. I'm totally blown away- I've never seen such incompatibility in my life. I read somewhere about how XP didn't support SATA drives, but I know for fact that I've installed XP onto laptops that use SATA drives.

5. Markstar

Markstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you used the drivers from the Toshiba site and NOT the Intel drivers?

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You'd think that installing should be a science and fairly straight forward, but strangely in my experience it has not been.

I'd go w/ Markstar's initial assessment of trying the Toshiba Drivers...

If you do decide to go the slipstream route, a tool that makes it easy is nlite
    , you pretty much copy xp to a drive, select the extracted drivers in the program, and it rebuilds the xp installation with the drivers included.

You could check out the guide here

7. mtess

mtess Pen Pal - Newbie

When using a brand new drive on a Portege M400 you need to change the BIOS setting under Raid Array from JBOD to 1RAID-0. Instructions below.

• In the BIOS go to page Three in system setup
    • Under Raid Array move the arrow key to highlight JBOD
    • Hit the space bar to change it to 1RAID-0
    • Use the arrow key to move down to Execute Creation and hit the space bar.
    • It will ask you for a password, the password is 1234
    • The drive is now ready for installation

8. UCBeef

UCBeef Pen Pal - Newbie

9. jpmunson

jpmunson Pen Pal - Newbie

I also have a M400 that I am trying to install XP on. I am running into a couple of problems installing the OS. First, setup was not finding the hard drive. This I've been through before and I know how to slipstream the SATA drivers into the OS using Nlite. Now, after I wipe the partition and do a quick format, the setup wants a RAID driver installed using a external floppy drive, which I have, although it isn't a Toshiba drive. The problem is that no matter what I do, the setup does not recognize the floppy drive the "second" time. I've tried using two floppies, one with the RAID driver and one with the SATA driver ( used a F6 installation utility to copy the drivers to floppy) and have used F6 to install both the RAID drivers and the SATA and vice versa. Now, I did one of these about a year ago (might even be the same machine), had same issues and was able to figure it out with the same tools, drives, software and OS disks that I have now so I know it can be done. I am a bit foggy on how though (damn me for not writing it down) but I am hoping someone else has had the same issue and a positive resolution.

10. devind

devind Pen Pal - Newbie

I have encountered similar problems. After the hard drive on my m400 died i needed to reinstall xp but it kept saying that i was missing a raid driver. I managed to get a copy of the two iso's of the tablet edition andfollowing some of the instructions forom posts in this thread made a slipsteramed disk that installed xp, however it never asked me for the second disk and many things are missing from the installation (broken links, internet explorer, almost all the tablet utilities).
    What could I have done wrong and can someone please help me get the stuff from the second disk installed?

11. Yellowsub

Yellowsub Pen Pal - Newbie