Fresh Windows install on Portege M400

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Jesse, May 17, 2006.

1. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to do a fresh Windows install on a Toshiba Portege M400, however when I place the Windows disc into the DVD drive and start loading up the compoents, the Windows install cannot seem to find any working hard drives. Obviously the hard drive is still working (since I'm writing this post on the tablet) so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or similar experiences with the M400 that may be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

2. nossy

nossy Pen Pal - Newbie

Problem is the HDD in the M400s are SATA and SATA HDD drivers are not natively supported in XP. You'll need to somehow install the driver during the Windows setup (And also find the SATA HD driver/controller). Usually by floppy when installing XP on a desktop. Vistas should correct this problem.

3. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, Nossy hit it right on the money. Try this file ->CLICK HERE!!!<-.

Good luck.

4. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responses. How would I use that executable raid driver? I don't have a floppy drive, so would I have to find one or could I install that before reformatting the drive?

Thanks again for the advice.

5. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a follow up... I've been racking my brain trying to see if there is a way to reformat Windows without using an external floppy drive (admittedly, after getting the computer, I can't afford a floppy drive :D). Does anyone know if there is a way to do it without one? Possibly using a SD Card or burning the RAID drivers to a CD even?

6. drzeller

drzeller Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not done this, but I believe you can do something called 'slipstreaming" a file into the XP installation. I think it involves burning your a copy of your install CD with the needed files added and some other installation files modified so the intaller knows about the additional files. Try googling on something like "XP install slipstream SATA" (without quotes).

Another thing to look into would be whether the Toshiba utility that can create a bootable SD card (which emulates a floppy disk) can be used. I know this existed on the M200, but I never checked to see if it is around on our M400's (and I am not at mine now...).

One other thing... I hope you know that you need the TabletPC version of the installation for XP. This is basically only available through OEM's (technically only with a valid system or hardware component) or through MSDN. The standard installers from retail will not work for this.

D.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Couldn't you use a 'bootable USB Stick'?

Also, for every Notebook I have owned I have used Ghost to make a backup of my hard drive.
    This saves all the headache in having to re-install Windows XP..... and any custom software.

8. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks drzeller. Those are both pretty interesting ideas... I'll look into them both. P8RSON; I haven't tried to do that, but I've read everywhere that the SATA/RAID drivers have to be loaded from an "A:" Floppy Drive. I'm not sure how accurate that is, so I may try to give that a shot as well.

9. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

10. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I attempted to follow the above guide in order to slipstream the sata drivers into the Windows XP image, with no success. I'm not sure if I messed it up in the translation from the SIS drivers mentioned in the article to the M400 raid drivers, however I gave it a shot to no avail. I'm wondering if there is someone out there that is pretty tech savy and has a M400 that might be able to provide a step-by-step guide pertaining to the M400 and slipstreaming the drivers into the Windows image. (probably a big request, but worth a shot).

11. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

I done a fresh Windows install on the Toshiba Portege M400. But I used the DVD recovery disk that came with my system. It is easyer then you think to install. I will post images soon. But press "F12" and the use the keyboard arrows so that the bar is under the icon in the middle the DVD/CD Drive. The it will begin.

12. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Jesse, there's a much easier way to slipstream. Download nLite. It does all the hard work for you. I think it's reasonably straight forward. You can get it from http://www.nliteos.com/ except I think you have to have microsoft .net framework installed, which is linked off the nlite page. Hope it helps.

13. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

If that works like you explained, that would be amazing. I'll check it out. Thanks for the help.

14. butanamine

Let me know if you have troubles and I'll try stepping you through it. I've done a lot of this slipstreaming stuff.

15. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Where do you get the recovery DVD from for the M400? Mine did not come with any recovery software at all.

16. iczman

iczman Pen Pal - Newbie

butanamine I tried to use nLite to slipstream sata driver to my Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. The slipstream worked like a charm, however, during setup it didn't ask for the 2nd setup disk (yes I used TPC cdkey). Then after first boot into Windows, lots of stuff were stipped off such as Internet Explorer and many shortcuts in the start menu. Furthermore, the inking ability doesn't work and there's no ink pad button on the taskbar.

I don't understand why this happened but all I did in nLite was slipstream and create a bootable ISO, nothing else.

17. Tsukiyomi

You are lacking the i386 folder from your tablet and likely the CMPNENTS directory from disk 2. These need to be on the CD that you install windows from, if I am reading your post correctly. The CMPNENTS directory is found on disc 2 of MCE or a MSDN Tablet PC 2005 cd.

18. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

nLite does work perfectly - however I suspect that there may be problems with the source disk. nLite worked perfectly for me, however my OEM Tablet PC XP wouldn't accept my Tablet's key, so I had to go back to the original backup disks that I created when I first got my Tablet. (I've pretty much all but given up until I possibly upgrade to Vista, depending on how it performs on the M400 (up until now, based on Beta 2... not that great) and how expensive it is (the pricing for various editions seems confusing at best).

I can, however, verify that nLite was fantastic advice and worked perfectly for what I was trying to do... and best of all, it's free!

19. butanamine

Unfortunately I'm not fully familiar with the tablet pc version of xp. However, you do seem to have a strange situation. Are you sure your version of windows normally asks for the second cd? Secondly, nLite has lots of options such as deleting internet explorer from the cd, and deleting shortcuts from the start menu. I think if you go through the default options nLite automatically deletes these things, so you might want to double check that.

The inking ability problem would related to the CMPNENTS problem that Tsukiyomi refers to. However, it is strange since you are working from an original tablet pc version (right?).

I read somewhere in these forums that you may need to make a switch in one of the ini files on the windows cd so that it will accept your cd key... in this thread by Tsukiyomi http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showthread.php?t=2190.

It seems like Tsukiyomi might be able to provide more assistance.

20. Tsukiyomi

butanamine is right, there is a file on your cd called setupp.ini

For Jesse:
    In it theres a line that reads as Pid=00000000 (8 digits)
    The first 5 determine the type of windows install, Retail, Volume, or OEM. The last 3 determine the type of key that the cd accepts. To allow it to accept your Tablet's key, change the last 3 digits to OEM. Then save it to the temp directory that nLite is working from.