Frequent keyboard disconnects after upgrading keyboard firmware Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by garagebattle, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garagebattle

garagebattle Pen Pal - Newbie

Didnt have much of a problem with the keyboard till i upgraded the kb firmware (hoping it would increase the battery life of the KB) but now Im getting disconnects 4-5 times a day where I have to switch the keyboard on and off.

Cant downgrade the firmware, cant re-write the current firmware. Vaio support has been of zero help. Even occurred when the keyboard was plugged into USB.

Went through the troubleshooting steps for changing the wifi settings but it did not help. Thoughts?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Didnt have much of a problem with the keyboard till i upgraded the kb firmware...>>

On the other hand, I had a failure the first time I tried to update my keyboard firmware. Fortunately, the second try was successful. Do you remember if you got a "success" message at the end of the installation?

If you don't know or don't remember, have you tried installing the firmware again?

<<...Even occurred when the keyboard was plugged into USB...>>

The USB connection does not provide connectivity for typing. Early on, I tried the same thing...

<<...Went through the troubleshooting steps for changing the wifi settings but it did not help...>>

In the early literature, there was a single sentence that stated that the keyboard used a "proprietary radio link" for higher reliability. It did not say that it was Bluetooth, so that may explain why you saw no changes. I have suspected for some time that whatever this proprietary link is, it is somehow indirectly connected with the Bluetooth radio, but I can't prove it.

That's about all that I can tell you...

3. hilokilo

hilokilo Pen Pal - Newbie

Jesus. I thought I was the only one. I had zero connectivity issues until I decided to update the keyboard driver. I tried to look for original drivers but I found nothing so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. garagebattle

edit - had first drop out of the day.

doesnt seem to be as bad as before, but still annoying.

would really like to be have the ability to downgrade the firmware.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. garagebattle

Still doing it. Its done it 3 times today over the course of 10 hours. Sitting right next to the device, no wifi device nearby. Calling Vaio again.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had the opposite experience so far. Keyboard disconnects are less for me with the new firmware. Haven't had one in awhile now.

Unless there's an even never one released in the past month. Which in that case I won't update.

7. garagebattle

With the trackpad turned off, I believe I am no longer getting keyboard disconnects.

Also Japanese Vaio support is actually useful. They sent me a downgrade firmware (that Ive yet to try).

Need to do more testing, will report back.

8. hilokilo

Can you send me the downgrade firmware as well? I'm desperate for a downgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  9. garagebattle

hilokilo likes this.
  10. hilokilo

Thanks a lot for coming back to me. It did install, and now I probably need time to see if it stops disconnecting. How is it working for you so far?