Freezing several times a day.

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Pete in Hyder, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

I've not had any luck finding the EP121 501 BIOS file. Does anyone know of a source?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Pete in Hyder

Winflash says that 501 BIOS file size is incorrect. It is 1755 KB while my versions of EP121AS.401 and my EP121.bin are both 2,048 KB. Does anyone else have a copy of EP121AS.501 that is 2,048 KB?

4. CF77

It is 2048K. should re download..

5. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Just downloaded and installed it, working great. Still a little uneasy that it wasn't on Asus's site though.

6. CF77

You can always flash the current bios 401 back.

7. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Very true. But what's life if you're not willing to live on the edge every once in awhile. ;)

BTW, thanks to all those that got this bios online for the rest of us.

8. jgold52

jgold52 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi
    can you post details of the procedure and where can I download.
    Thanks.

9. Pete in Hyder

Well, I'm done with that one. After three weeks of futzing with it and trying every version of Intel driver for the SSD, the Rapid Store Technology and every other thing Intel and Asus seem to offer, including both 401 and 501 BIOS' I finally give up. I had it back to factory fresh three times now and every time it starts freezing and hanging, for up to three minutes each, several times a day.

In fact a fresh install hangs more than a "two day ripened" install. I had 10 this evening after the most recent fresh install. All in about an hour period. I can't take it any more.

This is the best computer I've ever had and I've had computers since 1984 when Heath Zenith came out with their Z121 luggable. Actually I had the Z122 which meant it had two floppy drives if I remember correctly. That was affectionatly known as a luggable, Zenith called it portable. It weighed 22 lbs. Heck the keyboard of that old beast weighed more than the entire Asus EP121.

I want this computer, almost love it. Been waiting for it for years. So Amazon will get it back and we'll see how long it takes to send me a new one. With the one I'm sending back I have so many freezes in the Event Viewer it is silly. On the fresh install this evening the first time I opened Windows 7 I checked the Event Viewer and already there were 6 Errors that had caused time outs. I'm thinking there is something wrong with this particular SSD. I hope I don't have to wait another month for the replacement. But even if I do it will be worth it.

Just on a totally different aside, off topic. Everyone talks about getting OneNote with the EP121. I never saw it. I see there is a free version of some kind of Microsoft Office, but it is not part of that. I've been using Word since back in 1984 when it was free with the Heath Zenith and have only had to purchase 1 upgrade (Word 2000) so I don't usually opt to buy the newer versions of Office. But even that is not free. Did some of you get OneNote free with your EP121? I'd like to try that program but it was not on mine that I could see.

Tata for now folks. I'll let you know how it goes in another month or so when I get the new EP121. Can't wait.

Thanks for all your help folks. You've been wonderful.

Pete in Hyder

10. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine works perfectly without rapid storage manager. But it starts freezing no matter what version I have of it.

onenote is a part of office and is sold separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.