Freezing several times a day.

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Pete in Hyder, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

I have freezing problems every day. Sometimes several times a day. These can last from 30 to 90 seconds. If I’m using IE8 and press another button the screen will fog over while the computer waits for a time out error to return control to the keyboard or stylus. I can usually use the home button to change to different windows, but all windows are frozen until the time out ends. Sometimes the home button won’t work and the entire slate is frozen until it decides to “come back”. One time I discovered sending it to sleep and back released the freeze, but sometimes I can’t even put it to sleep using the power switch until after the time out error comes back.

I have looked into the event viewer and found that this problem is a two step process. First there is a warning: LMS cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver. This is listed as a source LMS with an ID code always of 1.

This is then followed by an error code: The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period. This is always identified as an event ID9 whatever that means.

I did a fresh install of the OS from a USB DVD drive using the included DVD set and the problem still happens. I first thought it was an IE8 problem, but it also happens when other programs run and IE8 is not open. It is the ONLY problem I have with the slate, I love it, and am willing to live with it even if this problem continues, but I’d sure like to know more about what causes this. If there is a fix I’d sure like to know what it is.

Any ideas? I left the slate for a day or two before I customized with any of my own programs and the problem was there before I added anything so I’m sure it is not something I added. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Type Event viewer in the run/search window and you can see all the warnings and error codes your system is generating too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the exact same only that it often leads to bluescreen. It's quite annoying.

Edit: iAstor seems to be the intel matrix Storage manager.

3. Grumpy Moose

Grumpy Moose Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes! Nothing like that on mine.

If you google the error code you'll find quite a bit of information. As CerN says, it appears to be a problem with the Intel HDD controller. Maybe either a driver or BIOS update would fix it, but that's speculation on my part. Your best bet is probably to call Asus. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

4. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

I removed the matrix storage manager. So far so good.

5. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

How is that removed? And can it be put back?

6. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

You just remove it in "Add and remove programs", like a normal program. You can download it from intels site later on.

7. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

just keep us up to date in a week time.

8. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

Gonna try without it for 24 hours, And then im going to reinstall it again and see if that Works

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

when you indicate Intel matrix storage ..is it the same as Rapid Storage technology.. that is what I have installed.

10. CerN

CerN Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah, its the same thing.