Free Win 10 upgrade for 1 year

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CF77, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

MS announced free upgrade for a year..then what? do we have to un install if we don't pay?

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's not how it's meant. If you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 within the first year, then it's free (and they specifically say you get updates after that for the lifetime of the device). If you try to upgrade on day 366, then it'll presumably cost money.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

They had something like this for Windows 8 as well. You could upgrade from XP or 7 to 8 for a very small fee.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The reason why they do this is to reduce fragmentation of the different versions of windows used bypeople.

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Similarly, when Windows 7 was announced there was a brief period in which a certain number of inexpensive licenses were available --- picked up Windows Home Premium on Amazon for $39.95 (and have been kicking myself for not buying two copies since --- now that I've got my AVTN8 I guess I can stop)

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Except that, this time it's free (the move to Win10). Thanks, Microsoft!

From what I've read today based on yesterday's press conference, am looking forward to it. For some odd reason, especially like the Cortana (verbal personal assistant) option--maybe it's the HAL 9000/Star Trek influence. ;)

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I do like the idea of a single OS to run my X301/M80TA/Lumia928. Will there be a Pro version of W10? If so, will Pro versions upgrade to Pro versions of W10?

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They are calling them 'a single OS' but to be honest, it really appears that there's a distinction between the phone UI version and the >8" tablet version just as there is in 8.1. The UI as demoed is pretty different. It really seems more that they're just calling them the same thing now. I mean, obviously universal apps have improved, and they're porting features from one to the other, but I don't think it's that accurate to call them a single OS really.

9. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From a marketing standpoint, Microsoft really seems to be potentially turning its tide (positively) and becoming seemingly popularly relevant again. It's good to see.

From a (selfish) consumer standpoint, I am appreciative of Microsoft's making Win10 available for free to current Win7 and up users, allowing us to get all of our systems purchased over the years synced to the same standard. I imagine that this will be good for Microsoft as well, trying to get a majority user base all on the same page (with that page no longer being Windows XP!). Now, the big M only needs to make sure that it rolls out a product that makes us all want to do so. :)

10. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

This is pretty cool. After all, it's a lot like Android, only better because everyone can get it at the same time.