Free upgrade from XP to Tablet XP???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ria, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

2. VT_Nerd

VT_Nerd Pen Pal - Newbie

If you click on the "free download" link visible at the link in your message it says:
    While that is not concrete proof, it makes me think that downloading SP2 onto a Tablet Edition install will automatically add in the new features. So I don't think this will upgrade you from XP to XP Tablet Edition, but I'm not certain.

3. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

This site may sound a little confusing, but it will not upgrade your machine to XP Tablet edition from Pro. This actually is SP2 for XP Tablet Edition 2002, however Microsoft chose to name it XP Tablet Edition 2005.

Long and short, it won't work on XP Pro. However as Ria points out, XP Tablet is a superset of pro.

5. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for clearing it up Daring...

yeah I emailed tech support from fujitsu... and they said they could take care of it for me, but they would have to replace the motherboard (yikes!) I haven't even daredtoask how much that'll cost me...

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Maybe I missed something on another thread, but why does Fujitsu have to replace your motherboard? Do you have a tablet now and if so, what type of problem are you having?

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes I too am confused.

8. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

oh i asked the guy if it was possible to upgrade a p1510d to xptablet and he told me they'd have tp replace the motherboard in order to do so...

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

I'm assuming you have a P1510, how do you like it? Will they replace it under warranty? I thought that when it was released they made some claim that it would run the tablet OS in the future. Seems to me that if you have to replace the motherboard, it ought to be a different model # or something.

10. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't believe that's the case, it already has a touch screen, what would a new mobo do?

11. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

that's what I was wondering. I actually don't own one yet, but found an incredible deal on a p1510d.. with windows xp os. That's why I asked. The one I'm looking at came out w/the ones that have txp, you could choose one or the other. So, I am not sure what replacing the motherboard would do...

I am in a toss up between the t4020 and the p1510d... witha price difference of about $330... which makes me extremely hesitant to choose (even though I am not even spending my own money!) funny the way that works isn't it?

12. Tab guy

Tab guy Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also wondreing how or if i can install tab 05 over xp pro.I have a fujitsu p1610 and my drive well in short i had to get a new one.i lost all software to my 1610,so installed xp pro black ed.I got the drivers from fujis site,but???the tab pc functions do not operate as should.and since xp pro black cd key is embedded i could not enter my own.not that that would matter i dunno?Help?at least getting my tab to function like one with xp pro?

13. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

didn't fujitsu send you disks with your machine?
    Have them send you a new set, you need a copy of xp tablet edition to get tablet features.