Free PDF Annotation Merger for Eee Note

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by TheTwo, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, excellent - that makes a lot of sense. I shall add frames to the Powerpoints from now on when printing to PDF. I will test the new version later today.

Would it be possible to add a batch process for this tool? I could test all 33 of my PDFs at once this way.

Thanks yet again for your awesome work :)

2. Jamie-B

Update: Everything looks good so far, having tested 7 files. However, I got one file where the image analysis didn't give an ideal representation of the bounds of the page, so my annotations overlapped with some text (I realise this is probably a limitation of the image analysis and may not be possible to solve). I wondered whether the image analysis also takes the pixels of text into account when calculating the boundaries, so I decided out of interest to test text analysis on this PDF. I got an error message and couldn't complete the merging process:

"Start process!
    Reading source PDF... "Presentation mvdw Part 2 Regul 2011.pdf"
    Creating target PDF... "Gene to Function L08b.pdf"
    Copy metatdata...
    Processing handwritten annotations...
    Processing comments...
    Start merging...
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Here is the file. Image analysis still works, so it is not a critical error at the very least:
    files.me.com/jamie.birch/xejc5f

The software is definitely improving. I think it might now be in a state that allows me to merge all my annotations without problem. I'll have to test lectures from different professors though, to be sure.

Out of interest, if I re-downloaded the original Powerpoints and applied a frame around all the slides before exporting them as unannotated PDFs again, is there an easy way that the annotations from my unframed slides could instead be accurately merged to these framed PDFs?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. TheTwo

TheTwo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Jamie-B,

The only possibility to exchange PDFs without loosing the annotations is the following procedure:

1. Move the PDF from the internal memory to the SD card. Therefore, use the Eee note sync software from Asus.
    2. Now exchange the PDF on the SD card with the new version (same file name)
    3. Use the Eee note sync to transfer the PDF from the SD card back to the internal memory.

I do not know if this resolves the problem with the annotations or if the Eee note has detected other bounds before. But you can give it a try.

TheTwo

4. Jamie-B

5. rich20375

rich20375 Pen Pal - Newbie

TheTwo,
    I like your software very much. However, I would like to request a Linux version - could you please consider it? Thanks!

6. TheTwo

Hello rich20375,

I have considered it, too.

But I think, a linux version is for the next time out of question. I simply have not the time to write and maintain a second version.

Since the Eee note sync software and the driver of Asus only works on Windows, I decided to write the software in C#.

To use it, you could try wine or a virtual machine with a windows on it.

TheTwo

7. TheTwo

Hi,

I've added batch processing of notebooks and pdfs that are located on the Eee Note. Simply select more than one document or notebook as input using the Ctrl key.

Have fun :) ,
    TheTwo

8. Jamie-B

9. TheTwo

Corrected small errors for output path in version 0.6.4.1.

TheTwo

10. gfrezou

gfrezou Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi TheTwo !

First of all, a big thanks for your amazing software and the support you provide to this device.

I'm facing a bug with the FPDFAM, even 6.4.1 version, when converting notes to pdf. Everything works well if I use the standard templates in my notes, but if I try to convert a note using some custom templates (I have APS, bloc 5x5 and music scores installed), I get the following error :

Exception : Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: Index

This happens in the step "Creating target PDF...", with the progress bar showing approximately the first page of the note using a custom template

Any clue ?

Thanks for your help,
    Guilhem