Free PDF Annotation Merger for Eee Note

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by TheTwo, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyingmachine

lyingmachine Pen Pal - Newbie

hi the two,

yes, I have already downloaded the Ghostscript and put the "gsdll32.dll" file in the folder, but neither the text analysis nor the image analysis seems work. Although the file merged by text analysis is slightly different from the file merged by picture analysis, but both of them are inaccurate in position and proportion.

Or is there any way to "prevent" the cropping function to run? For example, disable the text field recognition data in the pdf file. I used to add crop marks to the pdf file to prevent the re-size function, but I feel this is too clumsy and it would increase the file size.

LM

2. TheTwo

TheTwo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi lyingmachine,

As far as I know there is no option to disable the cropping. I'm not sure which kind of PDF you are using and with which program they are created. All documents created with Latex, MS Office and Adobe Acrobat that I have tested worked. Is there maybe the possibility to open the PDF in another programme and save it again, to produce a more compatible format.

At the moment, I haven't the time to test the documents, but try to save it with some optimisation done with your reader.

TheTwo

3. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Been using FPDF v0.6.1 without problems for weeks - brilliant program, and was my reason for buying the tablet - but I encountered a bug when I used the program just now:

[​IMG]

The PDF, whose pages are wide + short, and are displayed correctly in landscape mode on the Eee Note, are being rotated by 90º and scaled to fit what I imagine to be the canvas size of the Eee Note. The annotations have not rotated along with the document below them, so the exported document is unusable.

What information would you require to fix this? I have uploaded the PDF before annotation, the PDF after annotation (via Eee Note Sync), and the FPDF export into a zip file here, if it helps.

If the easiest thing to do is to upload a program to just rotate and perhaps scale the annotations in case of this error, that would be equally helpful. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. TheTwo

Hello Jamie-B,

Thanks for reporting the bug.

It seems that the rotation of the Document is not recognized/copied correctly. Do you have this Problem with other landscape documents?

I will have a look at the problem when I have some time (at the end of the month, I think).

TheTwo

5. Jamie-B

I've just tested two more PDFs from my lectures today:

1) The same error has been reproduced in this PDF, which was also meant to remain landscape.
    [​IMG]

2) I also tested another landscape PDF. Here, there is no rotation of slides, but the annotations are not scaled correctly, so their position does not match the position observed on the tablet itself.
    [​IMG]

All my annotations are taken at 100% zoom, and I'm running FPDF on Windows XP. I have viewed the PDFs on Mac OS and on Windows, but the appearance is the same in the PDF viewers of both Operating Systems. I believe the errors might have something to do with aspect ratio or dimensions of the original documents, because the slides in the two PDFs I've shown in this post were of different dimensions to eachother.

Thanks in advance for offering to look at the problem! It would really help me out!

6. PF4Tablet

PF4Tablet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Jamie-B

I have tried your original PDF on my eee Note
    Could you please clarify a couple of things?

When you first load the PDF what is the page orientation on your eee note?
    on desktop the orientation seems to be landscape, letter size page
    when I load that on eee note you see that in landscape mode but the page is crammed into portrait view on eee note

To see the PDF properly you switch the view to landscape mode on eee Note but then you loose the annotation option since the tools are disabled.
    I tried to bypass this problem by "remastering" the PDF and changing the page orientation before loading the doc on eee note
    How did you end up with seeing PDF in landscape mode and having the pen/annotations enabled?

7. Jamie-B

On the desktop, the PDF orientation is landscape. Here is the view I get when I import the desktop file onto my Eee Note (when taking notes, I stay in portrait mode, the default mode of the software. If I try to enter landscape mode, I lose my tools just like you do.):

[​IMG]

As you can see, the document is displayed in landscape orientation, but has been scaled to fit the default portrait mode. Thus, I do not lose all my tools, and I am therefore still able to annotate.

When being exported by FPDF, for some reason, my PDF is rotated without my asking, but the annotations remain unrotated. This is a bug, and you are mistaken if you think I annotated anything in landscape mode ;)

8. PF4Tablet

PF4Tablet Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, that is actually displayed in Portrait mode! To see it in real landscape mode yuo have to use the button/ icon secodn to the right of the zoom tool. (Loupe)

That is why you have the writing wrong when youo merge, you are actually taking notes in portrait mode but your doc is landscape

What you have to do is to change the orientation of the initial doc which is kind of difficult. Please share the results if you manage to do that.

Edit:
    Just to tell you about the bumps/craps you have ahead:
    your doc is in landscape
    if you rotate all the pages 180 degrees using a PDF utility your format will be now portrait.
    The writing will be on verical lines now and you will have to rotate the eee note to read it.
    That is good because now you have annotation tools and see the doc in landscape mode
    Your porblem now is that you can not use the marker properly, if your marker goes along a vertical line it will leave a thin trace :)
    Another problem you are going to have is a slight offset of your writing, for some reasons the precision is poorer. I have not tried to recalibrate the tablet in this mode though.

9. TheTwo

Hi Jamie-B,

I've tested your document and discovered the speciality of your document. The native format of the document is in portrait orientation. To bring the pdf viewers to display the document in landscape mode there has been added a rotation value of 90 degree. This is not supported by FPDFAM until now.

I will take a closer look on it.

TheTwo

10. Jamie-B

I actually agreed with you that it is displayed in the portrait mode of Reader, which is in landscape orientation for me, ie, the longest side is the horizontal side. I made it clear that I know how to enter actual landscape mode by specifying that I lose my writing tools in it just like you do.

Furthermore, I do not even want to display my document in Reader's landscape mode. I like having the margins above and below the document in portrait mode so I can fit in extra notes. The only problem is that FPDF is rotating the document during export. You need to read my posts more carefully.

Thanks so much, TheTwo!