Free PDF Annotation Merger for Eee Note

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by TheTwo, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTwo

TheTwo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello,

good news. I've implemented an PDF export for notebooks. Because I'm not able to decode the "Application Extension Block" of the internal GIFs, in normal mode only the "raw" GIFs are embedded to the PDF. (That doesn't look very nice).

To get a nicer result you have to go to your notebook at the Eee Note and export every page to the SD card. Afterwards, FPDFAM looks at the SD card for these exported GIFs. This is triggered by the option "no gifs from SD card". If not selected, it tries to get them from the SD card and only catches the internal if there is one missing.

TheTwo

2. lyingmachine

lyingmachine Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh! I can’t believe you actually did it!
    Thank you!

3. lyingmachine

Hi The Two,

I found a problem of the PDFAM. I found that sometimes the annotations in the merged pdf are not at the place it should. I also found that the problem stems from the re-size function of the Eee Note. If the pdf you have imported into the Note has white space (margin), the Note would automatically crop it out, and show it in a bigger size. When this happens, the annotation you have written on the page would fly to the other place, and the size would also distort. However, if the file you put into the Note doesn't have any margin, that is to say, if the Note didn't re-size the file, there is no problem. The annotations precisely stay at the place it should.
    I don't know if you can fix this problem or not. I myself have found a stupid way to avoid this problem. My strategy is: don't let the Note re-size your pdf! I use an Acrobat editing software to add crop marks on the pages of the pdf. After that, the Note would not re-size your pdf, thus the problem could be avoided.

LM

4. TheTwo

Hi Lyingmachine,

which firmware version are you using? In my old italian version, this feature is not included.

Could you send the backup of such an pdf (Pdf and the corresponding notes folder) to the email address in the readme file?

TheTwo

5. lyingmachine

Hi The Two,

I'm using the newest firmware: V1.0.12.115TW, but the re-size function is already included in the last version (V1.08.94 TW).

I have sent a e-mail to you.

thanks,
    LM

6. TheTwo

Hi lyingmachine,

I've checked your sample files and was abel to determine the size and position of the handwritten annotations, but I couldn't find the information in the data on which page the magins were croped. So I have to find a way to identify these pages.

This will take a while, because I haven't the time this month.

TheTwo

7. Bzz

Bzz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey!
    Great job so far. Seeing as they keep changing the firmware could you please add a way make a PDF file from a .nte that is located on the PC?
    (a browse option for the note)

Cheers :cool:

8. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi TheTwo,

The application extension block is simply another block of raw GIF image data.

The image found in the AEB is then used as an alpha mask for the primary image.

You can combine the two images by using photoshop to apply the AEB image as an alpha mask and the result is a corrected image that looks just like the image displayed on the device.

I haven't yet found a good way to apply a second image as an alpha mask in C#, so I haven't built a tool to combine them. If you have a look at the NoteBuilder source, you should get some hints on how to deal with the AEB.

pb

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. TheTwo

Hello,

thanks for the hint. I've thought that it is an alpha-mask but have not been able to cope with it in C#. I will have a closer look at it in two weeks in my holidays.

TheTwo

10. TheTwo

Hi,

I've taken a closer look at the AEB but don't know how to interprete this block. It starts with "21 ff" then there is a length descriptor of "0b" for the identification of the block that follows the next 11 Bytes "45 4e 4f54 47 49 46 45 30 30 31". The next byte should code the length of the first subblock "fe". But at this point I don't know how to cope with the information. I have tried to handle it like a normal image, but this results in a a very huge filled red rectangle.

In the internet, I found a document that proposes how to add RGBA data in a gif, but it doesn't state how to cope with the data.
    ftp://ftp.simplesystems.org/pub/libpng/png-group/documents/rgba-in-gif-20070507.txt

Has somebody an idea how this data is coded and can be used?

Thanks
    TheTwo

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015