Free PDF Annotation Merger for Eee Note

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by TheTwo, Apr 21, 2011.

1. TheTwo

TheTwo Scribbler - Standard Member

This program merges the freehand annotations and bookmarks (notes) made on the Eee Note with the corresponding PDF as layers and comments. The source can be a backup done with the "Eee Note Sync" software or directly a PDF on your Eee Note.

1a) From backup:
    To use this program you have to backup the content of your Eee Note with "Eee Note Sync" software. Then start the program and select a PDF file in the backup folder "EeeNoteBackup" and define the target location and the name of the new PDF.

1b) From Eee Note:
    Simply connect your Eee Note in sync mode and exit the "Eee Note Sync" software, because it blocks the needed ports. Then start the program and click on the "Eee Note" button to choose the input source. Define the output.

2) Because the Eee Note displays extended margins in the reader, you can choose to generate a pdf with extended margins (no truncated notes). After that, click the "Merge Annotations with PDF" button to generate a new PDF with the annotations as layers.

Additionally, Notebooks can be exported from the Eee Note and saved as PDF. If the option "use gifs from SD card" is selcted, the tool looks for exported gifs (single notebook pages exported by the option in the "Note" application on the Eee Note) on the SD card.

INSTALL:
    --------
    To use the option for "image analysis" the "gsdll32.dll" of GPL Ghostscript (greater v.8.64, 32-bit) is needed.
    1) If you have not installed a 32-bit version of Ghostscript, download it from Ghostscript, Ghostview and GSview
    and install it.
    2) Copy the "gsdll32.dll" from your installation of Ghostscript into the program folder of FPDFAM beside the
    "Free_PDF_Annotation_Merger_for_eee_Note.exe".
    3) Now the option "image analysis" is available.

Options "PDF Merge" Tab:
    ------------------------
    add annotation margins: Generate larger sized PDF that corresponds to the aspect ratio of the Eee Note display.
    include handwritten annotations: Scribbled notes are merged to the PDF as layers
    include comments: Bookmarks taken at 100% are added to the PDF (experimental)
    PDF was cropped on Eee Note: Check for PDFs that are cropped when displaying at the Eee Note.
    - text analysis: Text is taken into account (for text PDFs)
    - image analysis: Rendered PDF is analysed to find white margins. (for PDFs with images)

VERSION INFO:
    --------------
    v0.1: first release for handwritten annotations
    v0.2: added support for bookmarks
    v0.2.1:
    • Solved: Exception when the bookmark file missing
    • New: Selection if handwritten annotations and/or comments should be merged to the document.
    • New: Console with status.
    • Improved: Algorithm for comment placement. It should work now with all PDFs in portrait format.
    v0.2.2:
    • Improved: Algorithm for scaling and annotation placement
    v0.2.3:
    • New: Support for devices with newer firmware version.
    • Solved: Handling of real bookmarks in bookmark file.
    • Improved: Extended margins for non DIN norm conform page sizes. (portrait and landscape pages)
    • Improved: Comment placement for portrait and landscape pages
    v0.2.4:
    • Solved: Handwritten remarks are now placed on the right page when using the new firmware.
    v0.3:
    • New: Select the PDF directly on your Eee Note in "sync mode".
    v0.4
    • New: Export of notebooks to PDF from the Eee Note in "sync mode".
    v0.5
    • New: Notebooks exported to PDF have now alpha channel information. (nicer pictures)
    • New: Background templates are now added to exported notebook pages.
    • New: Background of templates can be turned transparent (white in PDF).
    • New: Selected pages of notebooks can be exported.
    v0.5.1:
    • Solved: Some alpha channel problems.
    • Solved: Notebook export with pages from SD card.
    v0.6:
    • New: New option to cope with crop function of Eee Note.
    • Solved: Exception when pdf name was directly enterd in the output field.
    v0.6.1:
    • Improved: Placement of handwritten annotations with crop function of Eee Note.
    • Solved: Merge PDF from backup causes FPDFAM to freeze.
    v0.6.2:
    • New: Added support for landscape PDFs rotated 90 degree. - tested
    • New: Support for other rotations (180, 270 degree) - not tested
    v0.6.3:
    • Solved: Positioning error of slide content of documents in landscape.
    v0.6.4:
    • New: Batch processing from Eee Note for PDFs and notebooks. Simply select more than one input file by using Ctrl key.
    v0.6.4.2:
    • New: The sequence of inserted pages in notebooks is now refelcted in exported PDF.
    v0.6.4.4:
    • Solved: Now working with customized backgrounds in notebooks.
    v0.6.5:
    • New: Added support for MuViewer 1.8. Use "Select PDF viewer" in "PDF Merge" tab.

Download of the current version:
    FPDFAM v0.6.4.4 (stable).
    FPDFAM v0.6.5.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. lyingmachine

lyingmachine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi The Two,

I have problem on the backup files. Some of my pdfs (annotated) don’t have a corresponding folder in the ausebook\private folder. I have backed up several times, but the files didn’t appear.
    I would like to ask, is there any other place to save the annotation files? How can I find it out?

Thank you,
    LM

3. TheTwo

Hi lyingmachine,

is it possible that you have these pdfs on your sd card? If so, the only possibility, I know, is to use the EeeNoteSync software to transfer the pdf to the internal memory (Content Management -> Move To Eee Note). If you do the backup afterwards, the asusbook/private entries should be in the backup.

I know that this solution is not very convinient but I don't know how to extract the information out of the Eee Note directly. Maybe someone knows how to access the "asusbook/private" folder on the Eee Note, maybe with telnet.

TheTwo
    -----------------
    Edit: 20:21

I've tested the python script from the beginning of the peek within thread and discoverd how to get the pdf and annotation information directly from the eee note. I will try add this feature to my FPDFAM but as woraround you can use the script, install pyton and extract with the FOLDER_ID 34 all annotation information and with 1 the pdf files on your sd card.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. lyingmachine

Hi The Two,

no, the files are not in the SD card.

the python script is too difficult for me, I know nothing in programming. Maybe my only choice is to wait for your new version of PPDFAM.

Thank you very much for your help, from the beginning till now.
    LM

5. TheTwo

Hi,

no problem, I'm on it. I'm on half way. I can access the device in sync mode and read from it via C#.NET. So it will need some hours to implement the function. It will be available soon.

TheTwo

6. TheTwo

Hi,

I have added the feature to browse the Eee Note (in sync mode) directly for the pdfs.

I have updated the link in the first post.

TheTwo

7. lyingmachine

Thanks The Two,

the program works very well.

May be I'm a little bit greedy, if someone can come up a program which can convert the note into a pdf, eee note would be near perfect.

you are my hero.
    LM

8. Ragnor

Ragnor Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome work, TheTwo. Works perfectly now, I can finally put my eeeNote to full use thanks to you. Thanks for all the work you've put on all the new fixes/revisions.

9. lyingmachine

Hi The Two,

As you may know, an update for the Eee Note was just released (V1.0.12.115TW). I'm wondering if this firmware compatible with the PDFAM or not? For me, PDFAM is more important than the new features, if update would affect the performance of PDFAM, I would rather keep my Eee note in old version.

thanks,
    lm

10. TheTwo

Hi,

sorry. I haven't the ability to test the new fimware, because i have the Italian version of the Eee Note. If ASUS didn't release a new version of its Eee Note Sync software the data format and the sync mechanism should stay the same. Maybe somone, who has updated can test FPDFAM with the new firmware. Because I haven't the new fimware I'm at the moment not able to adapt my program to the possible changes.

TheTwo