Found you a great tool for your EP121, must see

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by harbime, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

jayse nice job, your added keys are very handy and much appreciated.

Has anyone noticed this in Photoshop CS5, have never seen this mentioned before.
    All the AHK text files I have seen show the command letters to be lower case, such as:

The e in "e Down and e Up" as in the snippet below.

; Tool2 Button - Control type: Key
    #Control:Key
    Name=Tool2
    Pos=50, 0, 50, 50
    Caption=Eraser
    Image1=img\50x50.bmp
    Image2=img\50x50a.bmp
    DownKey={e Down}
    UpKey={e Up}

This has effect that tapping the key does not cycle through the various erasers, as you can see in the control panel.
    So the last eraser used or the PS default, is the one that will be used.
    I think this is true for any tool with subkeys, the ones with the little arrow in lower righthand corner.
    Have also used -- brush, lasso, and healing.

BUT:
    If you use upper case letters such as E for e in the eraser tool, all the various erasers will cycle through and be shown in
    control panel. As will the other tools. I can see where some would not want this, but the way I work I like it better.

Thought I would pass it for what its worth.

lblb, very nice work on VSlider.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey hunter99,

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know that. In fact, in seeing your code I figured that it should also work if you leave them with lower case letters (e.g. {e Down}) and just press Shift before pressing "Eraser". And not surprisingly (at this point I am not surprised anymore at how great this script is!), it works!

So in summary for those who are using this app in Photoshop, here is something that can be very useful:
    In Photoshop if you press Shift before pressing eraser/brush/pencil etc, you will be able to cycle between the different erasers/brushes/pencils.

Also, as was mentioned earlier:
    If the slider is set to be a scrollbar, pressing Ctrl before using the slider turns it into a horizontal scrollbar; pressing Alt turns it into a zoom in/out (although you may prefer other ways of zooming that have been described in previous posts).

Also, maybe that wasn't clear in my earlier explanations:
    The modifier buttons (such as the one named ToggleWheel in the original script) are very useful to extend the functions of any button, not just the slider. Never mind that the name is ToggleWheel, it's just a toggle button that can be used for any button. (Also, note that you can add as many toggle buttons as you want, as jayse did in post #70.) For example, a code like the following gives a button for the brush in Photoshop (and if you first press Shift you can cycle through the different brushes) which switches to a button for the Pen tool when the modifier (i.e. ToggleWheel) button is pressed first:

DownKey={b down}
    UpKey={b up}
    Mod:ToggleWheel
    DownKey={p down}
    UpKey={p up}

Using modifier buttons can really increase the number of useful functions without adding more buttons on the app. To keep things straight, I just write the caption for the supplementary functions on another line on the button (see post #44 for how to do this).

3. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb;
    Thanks for the further info on ToggleWheel, this clarifies its usage nicely.
    I did know of the Shift key action, but trying to keep key pressing to a minimum.
    The only thing to watch for is if you don't press another tool key and press the tool key again, the tool will cycle.
    But if another tool key is pressed in between it won't cycle to the next tool in that group.
    Using your example with ToggleWheel pressed but with uppercase letters, tapping the brush key will cycle through all the brushs
    and then through the pen tools. Again with no Shift key. I always forget it is pressed even though the color changes and is bright enough.
    My hat goes off to the AHK group, the gentleman that wrote the ahk script for this great EP121 computer,
    and to you, jayse and all the other posters who helped make the EP121 such a delight to use.

4. jocose

jocose Pen Pal - Newbie

I love this tool. It works great in PShop, sketchbook pro, and many other apps.

but, it will NOT WORK IN ZBRUSH!

has any one else got this thing working in zbrush? If zbrush is the currently focused app then none of the buttons work. If I minimize Zbrush then the start working again...

I was sure I heard people were using it with zbrush but haven't been able to get it working for the life of me.

5. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

jocose, what version of Zbrush?
    Just tried it, but I don't use Zbrush except to play and test features of
    the EP121. So I don't know the codes required, it seems to work if codes
    are correct. Have Zbrush 4 loaded and alt, ctrl, undo, redo all work.

Not sure what you mean by this---"If zbrush is the currently focused app then none of the buttons work. If I minimize Zbrush then the start working again..."

6. lblb

Hey jocose,

I used this script to develop a different app (see here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/45210-app-better-touch-experience-ep121.html). One user reported that the buttons were unresponsive in ZBrush. He discovered that since ZBrush was run in Administrator mode, he had to run the script in Admin mode to get the buttons to work (see posts 15 and 16 of the thread above)

I don't know how he actually did that, but you can maybe try the following:
    - If you're not already, log in to the Administrator account of your EP121 and see if it works.
    - If that doesn't work, you can log in to any user account and try to run the script in Admin mode. In Windows 7, it is not possible to run a ahk script in Admin mode so you will have to first compile it into a exe file. To do this, just right-click on the ahk file for the app: in the menu there should be "Compile Script". After a few seconds, a exe file should be created. Start this exe file and see if the buttons work in ZBrush. If they don't, right-click on the exe file, choose Properties and in the Compatibility tab check "Run this program as an administrator". Then restart both the exe file and ZBrush.

- By the way, you can actually hack the Windows registry to add the ability to run ahk scripts in Admin mode by following the instructions here: Add "Run as Administrator" for AutoHotkey Scripts in Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

Does any of this work?

7. jocose

jocose Pen Pal - Newbie

IT WORKED! Thank so much, I spent an entire day trying to figure this out and had almost given up hope. It just didn't occur to me that could have been he problem.

Thank you so much

8. jocose

jocose Pen Pal - Newbie

Has any one got this working in windows 8 yet? I can't get it to work for the life of me. the buttons can't be pushed but it does show on screen...
    I tried running it as admin, disabling metro, and checked online but was unable to find a solution ��

9. lblb

10. lblb

For those who are interested in customizing the original script, I have prepared some instructions (mainly to help the folks in the Samsung S7 forum who are just discovering this great script). Those instructions have been developed from the instructions in the original files but also from the many contributions from EP121 users in the present thread. Thanks for sharing EP121ers! The instructions contain many useful tips and tricks that are actually not in the original files so it may be worth a look!

Hopefully this will be helpful to some of you who are just getting accustomed to this script. There are also many new "advanced" features that may be useful to more experienced users.

The instructions are available as a pdf file here:
    Instructions_RawInputControl_v3.pdf

Also, some of you may be interested in this nice example of customization for Photoshop:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sam...ng-series-7-slate-serious-photoshop-work.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.