Found you a great tool for your EP121, must see

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by harbime, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for all the info!!! I really appreciate it..

2. Nolan_R

Nolan_R Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought an EP121 and am finding this little app incredibly useful. Kudos to the guy who wrote it, and thanks to the rest of you for posting your hints and tips.

I see that lblb provided the string for Ctrl+Alt+Z (Downkey=^!z). I need to customise the script for use with ZBrush and wondered if someone could provide me with the string for Ctrl+Shift+Z

Your help would be much appreciated.

3. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

Try the AutoHotKey documentation. Hint: it's ^+Z

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Nolan_R

Nolan_R Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks BlackKnight

5. NateS

NateS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to everyone for the info on this thread, after getting it setup for PS CS5 I like it as much as a Cintiq.

You guys are awesome, and the Japanese gentleman that wrote this has my sincerest appreciation

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Have you actually used both? I haven't, and it would be cool to get a comparative review. :) I agree that this button tool is very impressive. If other touchscreen tablets could have it, it'd be revolutionary.

7. NateS

NateS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Steve B I have used a Cintiq 21UX for about 5 years and have been looking for a smaller portable version for a long time. I can give you a quick comparison which might be helpful.

A couple of points up front, this setup is pretty much setup specifically for Photoshop CS5 32-bit. I have costumized my buttons on both for digital painting.

Attached below is how I setup the buttons on this awesome tool...

I have the scroll bar setup as the zoom, and when you press the modifier buttom above it serves as a touchstrip for brush size. Brush button is pretty obvious, Mode refers to changing screen mode in PS (f button). Tab hides menus, Ctrl is the move tool. Turn rotates canvas, Flip-flips the canvas horizontally. Space grabs the canvas, Undo, and Clear deletes everything in the layer. I have the Axiotron pen with the top input buttons which I set up with Alt and RT click.
    I haven't used the newer Cintiqs which have more buttons on the side and higher res/levels of pressure sensitivity. My Cintiq has only 5 buttons and a touchstrip on each side with no modifer buttons. I have to admit the buttons on the rt hand side for me are pretty much useless which means I have to use my keyboard quite a bit. The wacom pen is a nice solid one with the eraser and top input buttons which I use the same as my Axiotron.
    Running PS on the EP121 before the input buttons was pretty annoying so I can't say you could even compare it to a cintiq. With this setup I am able to do everything in PS that I want to do without a keyboard(so far). I still have some input bugs that happen when painting but its easy to undo and move on.
    My experience with the Cintiq has been great and you can work on as large an image as your machine can handle. The negatives are that they are expensive, heavy and take up a lot of space. If you have seen the newest cintiq it is a beast it is the size of portable art desk and weighs 60+lbs! Another major issue I have had with my old cintiq is the display is very dark and takes some playing around to get it to match other monitors. The screen is also highly reflective which means you have to work in a fairly dark room.
    This has been my experience so far and I don't claim to be a tech guru so your experience may vary :)

Attached Files:

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's a really cool post! I've heard about the issues with reflectivity and dimness with the Cintiq. What's your comparison on that note, with the ep121? I've heard it's also very reflective. Finally, how does the ep121 deal with lag in PS? I've heard it has some issues, though I've not tried it. I would think that would have a lot to do with what res you work at/how complex your images are. I'm just trying to get a well-rounded understanding of the comparison. I would assume you'd need to do finish work with a desktop? Or are you now working start to finish in the ep121 now that you've got the buttons?

9. NateS

NateS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Steve B,
    I haven't done any finished work on my EP121 yet but now I have this setup I am about to. I normally work at about 3500 max pixels unless I am trying to do something that would be printed out at a large scale. When I sketch at that scale which is 8.5x11 @300dpi I don't have any problems as far as lag goes. I don't use alot of large complicated custom brushes and try to keep my # of layers low by saving multiple versions with the extra layers preserved and then flattening the image as I go, that helps a lot. As far as glare on the EP121 I don't notice it hardly at all, I haven't tried it out doors yet though.

10. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

Just thought this may give some customization ideas to those who are using this app...

The following video entitled "Autohotkey and Me" is a good example of how you can customize this app for your own needs. I don't know if the user is a member of this forum but he's done a really nice job explaining how he uses the app. He starts from the installation, but near the end you can really appreciate just how useful this app can be and how powerful you can make it through customization.

Lopsided circle

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.