Forum upgrade alert: TabletPCReview is moving to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by brubenstein22, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brubenstein22

brubenstein22 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want to get a feel for the new forum platform, head on over to Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion. We just launched XenForo there, so you can poke around and see how things work (things may appear differently depending on whether you are registered/logged in or not).

A couple of notes:

-- "Posts" are called "Messages" in XenForo. Counts will be carried over from the vBulletin, so everything should remain the same when we launch the new platform here.

-- User titles will also be carried over. You may notice that there users can also now earn "Trophy Points" based on various forum activities (# of messages posted, # of likes received, etc.). At launch, everyone will start at 0. We'll continue to add new activities that will earn points/trophies and graduate you to the next user title.

Let me know what you think - we're planning to do the TabletPCReview forum migration sometime next week.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

What? Really? Some of the older members and staples in this community should retain some kind of recognition for their accumulated time helping others. Removing their reputation and # of posts seems a little harsh. I'm not defending myself (I haven't been here that long) so much as I am others such as Bronsky, DStrauss, Shogmaster, TigerLilly, the mods, etc.

3. brubenstein22

To clarify - all accumulated status will be preserved - # of posts will carry over, as will likes and current user titles. Since points are new with XenForo, those will just start accumulating from launch forward, but if you've already reached a certain title/level, that won't be taken away. I totally agree that past contributions deserve to be recognized, and they will be. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Reputation power is a bit of a different animal, and I welcome your input on that and how useful you find it, as we'll need to address that differently with XenForo (which by default uses points as the basis for status (again, built via likes and messages posted).

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

XenForo? What kind of name is that? I'm sure you have your valid reasons for moving the site, but at least give it a better name. It'll still be all about tech gadgets right?

5. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Xenforo is just the platform the forum runs on. Not sure I like the change from a desktop browser perspective, I was on another forum that switched to Xenforo and for some reason I just don't like it as much.
    But mostly I use Tapatalk so it doesn't matter too much.

Sent from my Asus Memopad 7

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...XenForo? What kind of name is that?..>>

...Xenforo is the name of the forum software (like vBulletin), not the name of the forum...

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks for the clarification! Yes, I certainly misunderstood then.

I am unaware of how reputation points works in the technical sense around her, all I know is some people might consider the number of rep points when taking advice from multiple users, effecting the weight of their advice to an extent.

Trophy points would replace this system?

8. brubenstein22

It's not a direct replacement - trophy points are really about recognizing contributions to the forum. They can be earned by posting content that people like, so in that way it builds reputation and status within the forum (new user titles, etc.). Because those titles and points display along with any subsequent posts, they could be viewed in much the same way as you're viewing reputation now, but it would be different in that recognition from other users is given publicly on specific posts.

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have done some testing on brighthand and regulars of TPCR should feel right at home. It truly is similar to vBulletin

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

When is the upgrade expected to happen?