Forum organization suggestions

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 3, 2018.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Hi all,
    Some of our forums aren't as active as others. You can see that by looking at the main forum list and the last post date in each one.

I'm open to suggestions regarding the organization of the forum. We should consider consolidating some of the subforums together. Here are some examples:
    --Combine the Windows 10/8/Legacy Windows subforums together into one forum.
    --Combine all Android tablet forums together into one subforum: Android Tablets Discussion.

And so on. We did some reorganization earlier this year which has improved navigation, but I think it can be taken further.
    The reason for this is to keep the forum active. People aren't going to post in a subforum that has little to no activity. So we want to try to keep things condensed if we can so the conversations keep flowing.

Charles

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The two examples sound fine to me. For me personally it doesn't make a difference. I have a shortcut to http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/find-new/posts in my browser, so no matter where the post is made, I at least see it come by.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Good to know. Thanks.
    Charles

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I think some judicious condensation would be OK, but I favor keeping many of the brand forums as-is. As someone who frequently searches for posts, some of them fairly old, combined forums would make that job more difficult than it already is.

Philosophically, the forums with the most traffic mirror the current state of the tablet market; the brands with the current best offerings draw the most comments. However, the market is not static; some brands consistently draw comments, but others rise and fall... sometimes a lot... and that's why we have so many forums. At one time or another, many of these forums were more active than they are now. So, while condensing forum makes sense today, those condensed forums might not serve us so well a year from now. I guess that I would be OK if the overall organization was a little more dynamic; say, revisited and adjusted once a year (or two)...

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One suggestion I have is to give Wacom it's own sub-forum and move all the scattered Cintiq/MSP threads under that category.

There are now multiple lines of tablets PCs made by them, and their peripherals (no matter how old) are always relevant to the digital artist community on the forum. Having a centralized location for reference would be a great help.

Shizaru and Charles P. Jefferies like this.
  6. Charles P. Jefferies

Thank you for the suggestions.
    Understood. However, in order to keep the forum looking attractive/healthy, the forum structure needs to change. Subforums without replies in months don't help us in that regard, and especially doesn't help us attract new users. The forum structure can change, so if what we do doesn't seem relevant in a year, we'll change it again.

Charles