Forum for the new Insignia Windows Tablets from Best Buy

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by rockhunter, Nov 8, 2014.

1. pen25

pen25 Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting. I just tried through the driver itself. I returned it and bought an unbranded tablet with gps. But I liked the size of the smaller one better.

2. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also bought an unbranded tab. Not bad but my main complaint is the short batt life of 4-5 hr of video play on both...

3. MP2100

MP2100 Pen Pal - Newbie

hwinfo32 reports:
    CPU: Intel Atom Z3745(D) Bay Trail
    GPU: Intel ValleyView SoC (Intel HD graphics Gen7 4EU)
    Audio: "Unknown or None"

4. MP2100

MP2100 Pen Pal - Newbie

5. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Scribbler - Standard Member

cpu: z3735F
    audio: generic intel sst audio device, realtek i2s audio codec

6. trala

trala Pen Pal - Newbie

spwath is right, this tablet (I have the Win8.1 version) has a major problem with headphone jack audio. I just bought it yesterday. First, it is hard to plug the headphone in or take it out; there is too much resistance and this is bad for your jack. Second (really first) is that the audio seems to be turned off completely when you are not playing any videos or music. When you do (or when you mess with the volume buttons, etc.) there are popping sounds, at which time the audio is turned on (you can hear static). The static isn't that bad, but the popping noises are very disturbing and more than just annoying when you have your headphones on. This in itself makes it basically unacceptable. When you stop playing any audio, the popping sounds come again as the audio turns itself off again. And on and on and on... It can't be fixed. So yeah they skimped majorly on the audio hardware to the points the whole device is subpar. One of the most important things for me is to be able to use the headphone audio when I'm in bed or otherwise.

The other thing is, my particular tablet has two specks of dust or particles, one larger than the other, under the glass. I can't fix it. So two counts and this device is going back to the store (BestBuy). I would gladly exchange it for one with a good screen, if it weren't for the audio problem. Besides the popping, the audio quality is also really bad over headphones. Much, much worse than any Kindle, Nexus, or the Tegra Note which I all own. It's really not even in the same league at all.

It's a shame, really. This could have been a nice device. I like it otherwise; it's very responsive and Win8.1 works much better on here than I ever expected. But I can't have a device with bad audio, end of story. This tablet has HDMI which no other tablet in this price range offers, so that's a bummer. The other problem I had was when I connect this tablet to my PC with the USB cable, it won't connect as a drive to my PC so I can't transfer files that way. It only works to charge the tablet that way.

7. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Turning Off Keyboard Sound may have solve the hiss an poping issue. Turning off keyboard sound is about the second thing I do when I set up a tablet so I haven't seen the problem. See earlier post on this thread

Insignia will probably have a drive/software fix for the issue before long.

8. trala

trala Pen Pal - Newbie

rockhunter, thanks for the reply. I really do wish that would work, but even with virtual keyboard sounds disabled from options (Ease of Access->Virtual Keyboard->Options -- saying this because Options button won't show on virtual keyboard normally) I still get the popping sounds each time I initialize the keyboard, regardless of the button click sounds being off. Of course, keyboard isn't the only thing causing the popping sounds, so it wouldn't even be a fix if that was possible.

I don't share your optimistic view about newer drivers fixing this issue. I have turned off all OS sounds, tried different settings for audio hardware, different power options, etc., but it's not possible to keep the audio turned on in the background. Even though this would give you constant static noise (not real bad, but still) it would be preferable to me than the constant popping sounds associated with the audio turning on and off at every point audio might be involved (keyboard, videos, music, etc.). But this is not possible and the audio keeps turning on and off and so the popping sounds remain.

I've looked at the basic audio implementation of tablets like these and it seems to me that driver updates to such components are few and far between. More than that I don't really think it's a driver issue but rather very poor audio hardware implementation. I've even downloaded supposedly up-to-date drivers from other tablet manufacturers with supposedly identical hardware and they won't install. This is my prediction: this situation will never change, the audio sucks to begin with, and if you want better audio over headphones you are going to have to get a better tablet. Mine is definitely going back. The inclusion of HDMI on this device is great and no other manufacturer seems to have done this for tablets in this size, so I'm kind of finding myself without a tablet options, especially in this price range. I also did a listening test because I use binaural entrainment tracks and it wasn't even rendering certain frequencies properly at all, which would mean I couldn't use those tracks effectively and so that is a dealbreaker.

Nice try but they have to stop skimping on audio hardware, ESPECIALLY in smaller devices that are often used in a more mobile fashion with headphones. My old Galaxy S3 has much greater sound, and so has my old cheap usb mp3 player from 1998. I would have gladly paid $20 more to have good audio. It is also almost impossible to find any hardware reviews that mention headphone audio quality! What is up with that? That is very important, especially for mobile devices. You can at best find 2 out of 20 reviews that actually pay attention to audio over headphones. How unbecoming is that?

9. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

From Charms menu open "Settings" then "Change PC Settings" at bottom.

Select PC and Devices
    Select typing
    Touch Keyboard first option is usually sound.

People have reported that audio over Bluetooth doesn't seem to have the problem
    which makes me think its a driver problem

Sounds like maybe the driver leaves the final amplifier for the audio jack open and floating on inputs rather than with an impedance across the amplifier hence amplifying "noise" (mechanical engineer's probably misguided conclusion)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  10. trala

trala Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. The problem is not turning keyboard sounds on or off. It can be done, but it doesn't solve anything. It could be true that the driver is causing the popping sounds when audio initiates and stops, but I don't believe the driver is the cause for the poor audio and constant static. I believe the latter is due to the sub-par audio hardware implementation they use in this tablet.

Audio over Bluetooth is just like audio over HDMI in that it is a pure digital source in that it bypasses the speaker/headphone audio hardware completely. So if you have a computer with a soundcard and plug your headphones or speakers into the outputs, it is the soundcard and the jacks that are getting the sound to you, whereas with HDMI or Bluetooth or USB you are getting the sound straight from the digital source. Of course this is better, but normal headphones don't have the ability to translate into sound the digital signals from those type of outputs. So then you would have to buy Bluetooth headphones. Yes, you can buy wireless Bluetooth headphones and use them and then you should not have distorted audio. Point being, when you have to invest in auxiliary devices to make this tablet functional, you might as well buy a better tablet and have the option to use regular headphones also... It then becomes a greater value, not a lesser one for the same price.

I really don't think the low quality sound is a driver issue, although the popping sounds may be. As you know, when the 'sound' is purely digital data, as processed by the operating system, it is not sub-par. It is just as high a quality as it would be on a $3000 PC. It is only when that data is translated by audio hardware (soundcard, chip, etc.) that it gets converted into what eventually becomes analogue output through headphone jacks or speaker jacks, etc. It is at this point that it really matters what type of hardware they use in the case of using headphones. If the audio implementation is poor, so will your sound output be. I don't believe any driver is the cause for static or muddling of certain bands in the audio spectrum. I use some binaural tracks (like hemi-sync, etc.) and it was distorting certain bands to the point that you could not hear the entrainment beat anymore, which none of my other tablets do. I also ran some test with full spectrum audio test tracks and you can hear some real problem areas in certain frequency bands. That's not that uncommon, but it was pretty pronounced with this tablet. Really, I'm not being an audiophile here, I know tablets don't have great audio output. But this one is really too bad to use for me, which is just not going to fly.