Form-factor of your future Win8 Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by e-schreiber, Apr 3, 2012.

?

In terms of "form-factor", my future Tablet PC will be a...

Poll closed Jan 28, 2013.
  1. [b]Convertible[/b]. I'm old-school and power-hungry! Get off my lawn!

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. [b]Yoga-style[/b]. I love how it stands! Great for flicks!

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. [b]Detachable[/b]. Exile to the Phantom Zone to all who killed the TC-1100!

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. [b]Slider[/b]. No doubt the coolest machine outside Cybertron!

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. [b]Slate[/b]. Seriously. Anything else is too heavy, too bulky, too 80's!

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A detachable slider like the Sony prototype at CES.

2. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

As Slates are getting lighter, powerful enough and all that with good battery life, I can see myself getting one more and more...
    My main mobile machine is likely going to be convertible in the future, still. I just need a proper keyboard way too often and built in ports also matter.

But often enough I'd be happy with just a Slate and as they're heading in the direction of the S7S the differences in weight and bulk are getting very tempting!

I'm actually not sure whether I'll upgrade my convertible and skip 4-5 hardware generations right to Ivy Bridge or get a Slate to accompany my half a decade old convertible. I gave the Slate option the benefit of the doubt.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Actually, I voted for detachable, but I probably have my Windows 8 Slate in hand with the Samsung Series 7 Slate. It is already working great with Win8 Beta (somehow "Consumer Preview" just sticks in my throat). It is a great little package

BUT

there are still many times where I just want to sit with a laptop IN MY LAP so I can type out a brief, memo, contract, etc, and no folio case or wireless keybaord arrangement works for that.

My feeling is that a Transformer Prime size Windows 8 detachable would sweep the market. If you haven't looked at the new Prime version, you owe yourself the experience. The slate part puts the iFad and Galaxy Tab to shame, and when attached to the keyboard is near Air size, but just like a real notebook. I thought I'd never leave x86, but if Asus puts out a WOA Transformer Prime with Office 15, I'm going to be on it like white on rice!:D

[​IMG]

I agree with our old friend James Kendrick - it would be CHOICE #1 - with one major disagreement - IT MUST HAVE WACOM!

What I want: ASUS Transformer Prime running Windows 8 | ZDNet

4. aaronb1138

aaronb1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

With not many votes in yet it seems detachable and slate are the winning preferences.

I voted slate. I do wish to make an addendum:

Make a second leather style carry case as an add-on. Integrate a keyboard with a slice battery that doubles the battery life to around 10-12 hours. Case + keyboard + slice would end up just under the 1 lb mark and be relatively innocuous. Such a case would also need an adjustable kick stand and dock connector(s). One to the slate, another so you can charge the case or charge both. The battery system should be designed to drain the slice in the keyboard first, then the slate on-board battery for maximum utility. Massive bonus points if such a case/keyboard/slice combination is engineered to fit on the normally included dock.

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can't see the polls though. All the same, I'm all for the transformer form factor with a 64 bit machine, a Wacom pen and others.
    Nothing beats that in taking full advantage of win 8 hybrid OS status. In slate form, do most of your content consumption and when it's time to creat dock it into a full ( did I mention ultra book) notebook. The perfect device. I'm thinking in terms of the Asus zen ultra book size and everything.
    Are the OEMs listening?

6. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Detachable, undoubtedly.

Something with nice specs, running Windows 8, with a 1920x1200+ display, a Wacom digitizer, a second battery in the removable keyboard . . .

Basically a Transformer Pad Infinity but with Windows 8 and a digitizer. I think we'll see all of these specs pretty soon, though the digitizer might be the only feature that's somewhat uncommon. A matte display would be nice too, though that would also probably less common than glossy alternatives.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Are you sure such a thing exists? A keyboard base that is designed to both slide under the screen and detach from it? Can you post a link to that Sony device?

Doesn't it show on the top of the thread on your browser? it should look a bit like this:

[​IMG]

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope it doesn't. Maybe because I'm on the iPad . Limitations of these mobile OSes.

9. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

7" slate for me. I don't need a detachable keyboard but I'd love a detachable battery.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wish I could get by with a 7" tablet. I just need more display real estate. Would love the greater portability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.