for Windows 7, a Windows 8 Metro EIGHT Start Page for web browser

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by dirtyvu, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

someone made a cool start page for your web browser (works with Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, and Safari).

you can totally customize the links and the graphics

[​IMG]

very touchable!

instructions at:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-8-metro-eight-start-page-or-new-tab-page-for-web-browser/

and if you're a firefox user...
    geckoTIP: great way to add Tablet PC Input Panel functionality to text fields in Firefox

grab and drag: allows you to easily scroll the webpage simply using your finger or stylus to grab the page and pull it up/down/sideways. functionality just like an ipad. you can set the momentum/friction of the page based on how hard you flick a page in a direction.

user agent switcher: a great way to have the firefox browser imitate another browser such as Safari so that the page is rendered differently, e.g., you want faster loads that come with a simplified mobile version of the website.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

I plan on giving this a shot on my CL900.

The buttons looks pretty small on your screenshot so I'm hoping I can fit it better to the browser so there isn't so much unused space, with out destroying the clean Metro look.

What size screen is the screen shot from? My CL900 is a 10" screen so if it gets any smaller it could be difficult to use.

3. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry about that. i screengrabbed from my desktop which is 1920x1080. I can show you my tablet which is 1280x800. will post asap

4. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

here it is in firefox on a 1280x800 screen. i've totally customized it to my sites which was a pain because I had to go look for logos for my sites. the search bar is very cool because you just tap the icon next to the bar and you can select from different search engines. I made some changes to Firefox and windows 7 to make it more finger friendly (increased the size of toolbars, added a double-height taskbar, etc.) and that's why you may wonder why the Firefox screen is a little cramped. When I need more real estate, I go to the full-screen viewing mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is in chrome. I'm very disappointed with the Chrome/Opera versions because you only get 1 page which isn't useful for me. with the firefox/IE version, you have as many pages as you like:

[​IMG]

5. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

This works well on my CL900, and looks even better. My only problem is getting it to display blocked content in IE. I tried adding it to my trusted sites but had a hard tome with invalid wildcards.

Any suggestions on getting it to display in IE without me always hitting a button? I'd rather not turn off security settings for all internet browsing.

6. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I use Firefox which makes it a nonissue for me. Oh, isn't it cool that you can switch from one panel to the next by swiping (instead of pushing a button)?

But I saw this in the comments on that page. Maybe you can make sense of it. Otherwise, ask the creators. Whatever you figure out, share it (because I might use IE, who knows).

ok for it to work with ie9 w/o the activex prompt everytime just open notepad, new file, and copy:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

7. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

After several painful minutes of research on how to add this as a trusted site, i remembered that there is a setting in the advanced tab of internet options under Security > "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

Once checked, this fixed the issue and I no longer get the popup.

DirtyVU - would you be willing to share some of your .png files?

8. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

of course. any of them interest you, let me know

I just went to the guy's deviantart page and he made a bunch more logos. So check that out too but if I have any that I can provide, I'll share. I wish I saw his logos before I went looking for some of mine... :p

but be careful with his original PNG files. they're huge, which can impact performance. you can definitely shrink them without affecting quality, and immensely improving animation performance.

9. johnkon32

johnkon32 Johnk32

I might as well give it a shot(on Firefox). Thanks for posting.

compare objects

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.